Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. Rcadd1ct

    Rcadd1ct Adventurer

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2012
    Oddometer:
    17
    speaking of the termi.....

    I am being told the termi is the way to go.

    I like the carbon leo vince better.

    From what I understand the tune does not need to be adjusted on a bike when exhaust is done just intake work.

    I have the fat ducs on it now and the stock exhaust.

    Not interested in making it louder, but weight savings and deeper would be nice.

    Thoughts?
  2. 3B43

    3B43 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2011
    Oddometer:
    62
    I'm seriously thinking of getting the LV system and have been told that remapping the ECU will make it runway better (Ducati expert). I want the change because I really want to clean up the bottom end, 'sound' and losing weight. I will be dyno'ing the bike before mods AND after.
  3. Suruppak

    Suruppak Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2004
    Oddometer:
    353
    Location:
    Pana, IL - if you know where that is, I'm sorry
    Thanks everyone for all of your opinions and insights. I have decided to go with the leftover 2011. The price was right for a leftover and I have seven years of warranty which helps my piece of mind. Now, anyone interested in a Griso or R80ST?


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  4. 996DL

    996DL Buell me

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2006
    Oddometer:
    2,400
    Location:
    finally back in paradise...
    Congratulations Suruppak, a great choice IMO, but I can't see from your previous posts, what the spec level is for this 2011, Ohlins or not ?

    You've certainly got a couple of extremely marketable bikes to offer for sale, if one has to go to facilitate this new addition. I think you'll dearly miss the Griso though... :wink:

    996DL
  5. Suruppak

    Suruppak Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2004
    Oddometer:
    353
    Location:
    Pana, IL - if you know where that is, I'm sorry
    It's the touring model, so it has the ohlins electronic adjustable suspension. I will miss the Griso! I wouldn't even be replacing it, but my shoulders are banged up and leaning forward at all hurts. The Griso is gorgeous to look at, the Multi not so much :-)

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Pampero

    Pampero Verbose Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2012
    Oddometer:
    756
    Location:
    Seattle WA and Nashville TN
    Let us know what you think of it's looks in six months.

    Congrats.
    Of the many Guzzis I think are attractive, the Griso is not at the head of the list.
    De gustibus non est disputandem.
  7. tonymorr

    tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2004
    Oddometer:
    2,565
    Location:
    Malta, NY
    And now the wait for spring really begins. Does anyone know where I can find a support group?

    [​IMG]
  8. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Hey gang, not sure if any of you other than myself and Oalvarez have been following the unfolding saga of the new '13 BMW GS and a potential issue with the active suspension causing tank slappers over rough roads, but since the '13 Ducs also have Sachs active suspension, I just wanted to give folks a heads up. I know I know, the GS is a VERY different bike from the MTS, but until they nail down the cause, if it IS related to the active suspension, all you '13 owners may want to be on the lookout for any odd behavior from the new Mutley when encountering corrugated (i.e. washboard) road surfaces. Let's hope this is isolated to the GS and not something inherent in Gen 1 motorcycle active suspension systems.

    Ride safe everyone. Spring is coming.....yay! :D

    -SM
  9. Pampero

    Pampero Verbose Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2012
    Oddometer:
    756
    Location:
    Seattle WA and Nashville TN
    I have, including the speculation it might have had something to do with Kevin Ash's crash. I rode a '12 GS yesterday, street no dirt, a different beast from both, and was reminded how spectacularly comfortable and competent feeling they are. BMWs are usually the ultimate in stability, often trading responsiveness for it, so this is quite a conundrum.

    I'm with you on the hope it's a unique problem. It may come to pass that our Ohlins bikes represent a certain "good old days" retrospective in the end. Oelvarez and others have mentioned that as a possibility if I recall, while I've been in the "what could possibly go wrong?" school.
  10. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I know. It would be horrible if that really was the cause of the crash.

    I absolutely LOVED the chassis of my '07 GS. Granted, there wasn't a lot of feedback on what the front wheel was doing, but on long rides it was really nice. Very comfy, very well behaved, and I loved the "no dive" aspect of the telelever when clamping down on the front brakes. What I didn't like was the sub-standard shocks that were fitted as standard, as they were shot by 20k relatively easy miles, but I left that problem for the next owner to sort. :D

    -SM
  11. Lion BR

    Lion BR I'd rather be riding

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2005
    Oddometer:
    4,625
    Location:
    Oregon
    I've heard of the head shake situation on the BMW's. But not that it was related to semi-active suspension. BMW made several changes to this bike which may be responsible to the speculated problem.

    People have been speculating the stiffer chassis and more flex in the smaller diameter shocks. Furthermore, they mentined it was related to situations when riders were standing on pegs on fast washboard roads, speeds of 75-80 mph. Finally, the BMW has telelever front suspension. In other words, too many factors here before you get to semi-active suspension, which before that you have to understand BMW's programming for it and its riding modes, including Enduro Pro mode, for example.

    BTW I rode yesterday a Multistrada 2010 and a 2013 back to back. First I rode the 2010 for 30 miles. Then I climbed on the 2013 for another 30 miles. About the motor: night and day, that 2013 is so smooth and it seems like the 5% improved torque should actually be a bigger number - that thing seems happier to rev and comes strong from lower RPMs. What a difference. And Skyhook, what a treat.
  12. Flightar

    Flightar Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2011
    Oddometer:
    155
    Location:
    Sebastian, FL.
    So, guys that own them,

    Question: If you were going to take a cross country solo trip starting in Florida and ending up in Prudhoe Bay Alaska...would you do it on a Multistrada? Also, bear in mind that you'd have to ride back as well.

    Or would you go for a GS, Tex, etc?
  13. llamapacker

    llamapacker Mr. Conservative

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,578
    Location:
    Louisiana (North)
    I answered that question last year, sold the Multi12 2010 model and bought a Super Tenere. 21 days and 10,000+ miles, done deal. Now what comes next no body knows. LOL
  14. jimmex

    jimmex Guero con moto

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2003
    Oddometer:
    3,303
    Location:
    West Texas/Rico
    I was riding my '11 GSA on washboard dirt the other day thinking about the instability issue that has come up. There is no good explanation that does not preclude serious problems when a bike becomes unstable at 45 mph on a moderately rough surface while standing up. I cannot imagine this on my bike as its so stable.
  15. Gorilla King

    Gorilla King Dobar Skorz!

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Oddometer:
    42,009
    Location:
    High Desert
    No and that is why I'm keeping the GS/A.
  16. Suruppak

    Suruppak Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2004
    Oddometer:
    353
    Location:
    Pana, IL - if you know where that is, I'm sorry
    Why wouldn't you take a Multistrada?

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  17. Dr. Greg

    Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home..

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2005
    Oddometer:
    1,556
    Location:
    ABQ, New Mexico
    Cuz it might rain...

    --Doc

    (sorry, couldn't resist)
  18. jerdog53

    jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    Oddometer:
    7,794
    Location:
    80112

    :huh
  19. 3B43

    3B43 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2011
    Oddometer:
    62
    I bought a MTS because I lusted for one! And it hasn't disappointed me, other the the shitty fueling under 3500! Reliability? I guess I'll find out. I've put 6200 miles on her in 5 months and bought the extended warranty. Anyway, a buddy of mine has a loaded '09 GS, which he really likes, but would not buy again! He's had a host of ningling problems....nothing major, but he's tired of the problems.
  20. Gorilla King

    Gorilla King Dobar Skorz!

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Oddometer:
    42,009
    Location:
    High Desert
    Range and I like the 19' front wheel better for dirt and gravel roads.