I was going to wait until I finished this project before posting it here but I thought you could use a bit of support in keeping this thread going. The metal fabrication work I do is a bit different but it’s still making things out of metal so I guess it can go into this thread. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o> For the past 10 or so years I have been working with wood but prior to that I did a lot of mixed media sculpture and that included metal fabrication. Last spring I made a chair out of welded steel, wood, and stone, and my ideas have been leaning in that direction lately. I now have two upcoming commissions for welded steel, wood, and stone pieces. That prompted me to buy an old tig welder a couple of months ago and I am now working out the final touches on several related designs as a joint project with a friend of mine. We both are comfortable fabricating with metal as well as working with wood and we both mill our own lumber with chainsaws. <o></o> For the first few designs I will be using the same leg for several variations of a tables as well as a bar stool and a chair. The leg starts with a length of thin wall 1½” square tubing that I slit about 8” up on opposing sides. I then clamp the tubing to a wood fixture that has the shape I want to bend into the one edge of the tubing. <o></o> For the proto type I used a wood wedge on the inside of the tubing to force it into my bending fixture. <o></o> I then cut out some pie shaped filler strips and tack welded them inplace with the wood wedge still inside. This proved to be a bit problematic because just as I got a puddle of metal the wood would flash off and the gases caused the tungsten electrode to ball up. Since this was more or less just a proof of concept to see if my bending fixture would give me a nice smooth bend I suffered through regrinding the tungsten for each tack weld. I then pulled the wood out and finished welding and since things looked so ugly I promptly found the welds down without any photographic evidence. <o></o> I liked the results so I popped over to my local scrap yard and picked up some aluminum so I could replace my wood wedge with one made from aluminum. I don’t have a cnc or any mill for that matter so I used my band saw with a 3 tooth per inch wood blade to cut within 1/32” of my scribe line and then sanded to the line on my disc sander and oscillating spindle sander. I ripped a shallow groove to accommodate the seam on the inside of the tubing on my table saw and ended up with a fixture accurate to .010” which for this job is just fine. <o></o> I then drilled a ½” hole through the lower part of the leg and dropped in these little sections of round rod that I made on my little atlas metal lathe. They are drilled and taped to accept a swivel footed glide so the metal legs don’t scratch up a potential customer’s nice wood floor. These were also welded and the welds ground flush. <o></o> Once the legs were all done I had to make a fixture to hold things in place while tacking everything together. The legs are angled 6 degrees in a radial configuration. <o></o> The seat is a piece of 2” thick claro walnut and will have a pommel carved into it for comfort. The steel will get a black acid finish. I will be traveling up to the bay area to do a photo shoot for this next Wednesday and will post some of the pics.