I had an issue recently where my KLR died and wouldn't restart. Back story is I just installed a low mileage bottom end with a new 688 and valve job, about 150 miles ago. I pulled into a parking lot, it idled for about a minute, then died. After a few minutes of checking for fuel, it fired up. After a a few seconds it died. Tried again, spins but won't start. After checking fuses, spark plug wire ect I tried it again. Started right up, revved it up and held it at 3000 for 30 seconds or so. It's getting gas. Let it back down to idle and it died. Tried to start and again it turns over but won't start. Sounds like maybe the pilot jet is plugged. Twisted the carb and pulled out the main jet, its clean. Then realized I didn't have a screwdriver that would fit the pilot jet. I put it back together and it started. Then it died. Battery was getting low so I called the wife to come pick me up. Tried to jump start it with an automotive 2 amp charger. Spins but won't start. It is getting spark, even when it won't start. So I'm thinking it's a carb issue. I soaked the carb overnight, drained ALL the gas out of the tank, disassembled and inspected the petcock. Checked the valves and cam timing. Installed new spark plug and boot. Reassembled it all. Put in fresh gas, 89 octane from the Chevron by the freeway. Checked battery, 12.6v. Turned on the key, 12.3v. Started right up. Idled good. Revved up good. Checked battery voltage while running 14.4. That's unusual. Its been around 13.6 while idling. Looked down, saw a wisp of smoke come up from the left side under the front sprocket cover. Shut it down. Wires coming out of the left side cover are blackened and the insulation has pulled back from the rubber block exposing a few mm of bare wires. Grrrr. Spent a good part of yesterday with the bike, the book, and a multimeter. The regulator/rectifier tested good. The diode unit tested good. The exciter coil tested good, after a little wire wiggling. The pickup coil tested good. Not sure what I was doing wrong but I got all kinds of crazy readings from the CDI unit. The ignition coil primary coil tested good, the secondary coil read 9.5 ohms- specs call for 3.8-5.8 ohms. The stator tested good, with some fluctuation as I wiggled the burned wires. I checked the wiring harness for pinching and/or chafing, found spot that was slightly questionable at the clamp under the seat near the R/R. I unwrapped them and they looked good. I continuity tested the yellow wires from the R/R to the stator plug, the white/brown to the battery and the black/yellow the ground. All checked out good. Battery ground to the starter mount is tight. So the secondary ignition coil is reading high resistance, could that fry the stator wiring? The stator checks out other than the fried wiring. I have a stator from a 94 sitting on the bench, ready to drop in, but I need to know what fried the wiring. Any suggestions?