I've been holding off starting this post while I was waiting to make sure I had something that would come together. After some wrenching tonight, I'm committed and know that this should work. After a lot of research, I decided that a GS500 would be the optimal bike to convert: relatively light, modest power, SIMPLE, cheap, bullet proof power plant, 2 into 1 exhaust, a huge following, plenty of parts and there are thousands of them. I wanted it to land somewhere between a DR650 and the Wee in all respects: weight, off road ability, on road ability, etc. This isnt a woods bike, instead it's aimed squarely and fire roads and double track, things like the trans mass trail and the PDR. Basically the same reasons that the KLRE650 is becoming a popular project. Finally, it had to be doable on a tight budget. I've already got a second bike (Triumph Thunderbird 900) and saving for plenty of other things, so the target is to get this done for $1000, including the cost of the gs500. Rattonshaw's converted bike is really what inspired me to get going. He's been very helpful sharing some details. HIs bike is below: So on to the plan and where I am now. So far, I've acquired an entire 2006 DR650 front end including the 21" wheel from a member here. I've got the GS500 pretty stripped (sorry no before pics). Here is the root of the conversion: a comparison of the steering stems, the smaller one being the GS500. I'm going to have a custom stem turned down from 7075 alu to fit the DR650 top and bottom triples but use the stock GS500 tapered bearings and obviously fit in the GS500 headstock. I'll be running a Vapor Tech computer in place of the stock gauges. Here's a terrible shot of the stripped GS500. It's a 1993 with only 4500 miles on it. Sat for years and needs some good paint and cleaning up. I trailered it home after a 7 year slumber and had it running the next day. It was staggeringly inexpensive for a complete bike. It's a bit rough, and has clearly been gently put down at some point, but it was a deal. An ounce of marvel oil in each cylinder, cleaned up the plugs, cleaned the carbs, jumped it and it fired right up! The tank leaks a bit at the seams and needs to be sealed. I'm looking for input on people's experience with Kreem and POR 15. Right now I'm leaning towards the POR 15 treatment, mostly because of the lack of MEK and that I've used normal POR 15 before and that stuff is amazing. I'll get some better pictures but it's late and cold here. For the rear, I'm going to start with the GS500 wheel. An SV650 gen 1 shock bolts right up. It will give about a 2" lift in the back and about 5" of travel, and I'll adjust from there by shortening dog bones. There are plenty of dual sport tire options for the 17" rear wheel. The forums at gstwins.com have been a wealth of information for this project. Ultimately, the DR650 swinger is supposed to be a bolt up, but some significant modification is required to get the stock DR650 rear shock to fit. The stock lifted rear will work for now. The biggest down side out of the gate is the mismatched wheels, but I'm happy to let that go given the promise of utility vs. cost here. I think this could be a great machine. This is a winter project, so progress may be slow at times. I'll do my best to keep this up to date. That's all for now. Next steps are to press out the DR650 stem and get the new stem made up, so things will slow down until thats done.