I don't actually have any friends that fall in either category. Everybody I ride with does day long rides that are real dual sport rides but they don't race or travel. We all pretty much fall into the realm of wanting bikes that can commute, do day long rides and handle trails. When I met up with some old friends for a day long ride in the NC mountains a few months back we were on good bikes for that. The bikes were an XR650L, a KLX650 and my 640E. We had a great time carving up twisty asphalt, riding gravel and dirt roads and trying a few trails. The next day was mostly forest service and off road. In between those two days we were staying in a SC cabin. So, yes, we trailered the bikes up to NC. But that is because you just can't ride hard when you get to your ride when you have a 100 miles between the riding and the cabin. Anyway, the biggest difference between all those bikes is how much better the suspension works offraod on my 640E And that, more than weight, has always been my biggest gripe with the Japanese and 75% of why I switched to KTM. The other 25% is being sick of detuned motors. So, in short, I can live with 300 to 325 pounds if the Japanese would just give me top shelf suspension and a motor that rips. But the real question all dual sport riders want answered is: why does barbeque tast better in cinder block buildings with dirt parking lots?