I recently decided to balance my Yahama XT350's rear tire, which has a single rimlock, but has never been balanced. First thing I did was duct tape a bunch of 1/2" nuts and bolts to the rim and spokes to figure out how much weight I'd need. Then took them off, and using a digital kitchen scale, worked out I'd need 9oz (255g) of weight, or a little over half a pound. Or 36 of the 1/4oz stick on weights. Clearly, I needed a better solution. So I got a 1-inch pipe nipple. I clamped some scrap metal to either side. And welded the scrap to one side. (The other side just has the scrap metal so I have something to which to clamp.) Simple enough. ...okay, I still suck at welding. I left a little gap in it. Don't leave any holes. Secure it in place... Go to the local tire shop and ask for any old weights they have pulled off vehicles. They gave me about half a pound for free. They have the steel tabs on them, so grab an oxy-acetylene torch. I'm actually using this rosebud torch with oxy-propane, and it works perfectly well for this application. A blowtorch might even be hot enough. Lead is apparently toxic, or so they say. I ate plenty of lead paint chips and solder as a kid and I turned out completely normal, but I guess it's a good idea to wear some kind of protection. I'm not sure how much a respirator cartridge that seems to have been eaten by mice will protect lung from lead fumes, but it's probably better than nothing. I don't know if melting lead produces much in the way of fumes, but I'll want it when cutting and grinding later anyway. Hold the metal tab with vicegrips, and the lead melts off in seconds and drips into the pipe. Only takes a few minutes to fill up the pipe...although when it was about halfway fill, it suddenly started leaking and a bunch of lead came up from the bottom of the brick. It looks like I spilled the lead, but I didn't..I just didn't properly weld the bottom on. Pull out the pipe nipple. ...or not. Damn, that thing is soldered to the brick REALLY well. Turn it over and hammer the pipe out... Finally it comes free... Use a brazing tip to melt the lead off the sides and clean it up. Then go over to the drill press, and realize that you now want to secure the pipe again. Should have just left it in the damn brick! Oh well, drill a 1" hole in a block of wood with a spade or forstner bit, then drill a 1/8" hole (or however thick your spokes are) through the pipe. Since the pipe nipple bulges in the middle, I used a rasp the thin the middle of some scrap wood so it would stay in the vice. Cut a slot down to the hole with a metal cutting circular saw. Remember that this needs to go over the spoke nipple as well, so drill out about half with a wider bit. One 5 ounce spoke weight, all finished! Slide it on the spoke... I still needed more weight, though, so I got some threaded steel rod... Drilled and cut that as before.. That rod was really, really hard to split open enough to get over a spoke. Here they are, 9 ounces of weight, just slid over the spokes. I then used vice grips to clamp them on so they wouldn't come off. The lead pipe was east to clamp on. Then I went over the seam with lead solder and the torch, working quickly so I wouldn't heat up the spoke enough to pop the inner tube. The steel pipe was not so happy to crimp onto the spoke, and ended up deforming my vise-grips after closing just a little bit. That channel was just filled in with solder. I put some epoxy on them both, to keep the steel from rusting as well as holding them in place. Somehow, I forgot to take a picture of the end result, but rest assured I did makes sure they were very secure before riding it.