Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Hacks' started by whitham_wannabe, Oct 9, 2017.
I guess nobody's gonna ask why I, of all people, would have something to say about that one photo.
I can't afford a Sportsmobile but I've been thinking about doing a 4x4 conversion to a van and then setting up the inside as a camper myself. Or just buying a slide in camper for my pickup.
See what you started Dana!
Richard wouldn't have a Sportsmobike, he would build something along the lines of an Earthroamer: https://earthroamer.com/
Congratulations on your new rig. Glad Richard kept most everything he bought to try out while setting the rig up. It sure gives you a gazillion options.
So when does the unreliable R-100 go on the block ?
Ha! I'm not sure what direction to go with that ... I have a big emotional connection to it from my time with Bruce, my sadly departed Bull Mastiff. But I have to admit, it probably won't see a lot of action now, and I don't want it to fester in the corner of the garage ...
What front tire is that?
According to their website, all four tires are the same ---
41 inch diameter, 12 inch wide, 22 ply military tires . . . designed to carry very heavy loads even when aired down . . . mounted on an aluminum military bead-lock rim . . .
Here's a better pic---
The Michelin military tires we used on the Oshkosh JLTV we raced in Baja back in 2010
were 46" tall and the tire + wheel weighed well over 250lbs each!
Defarkling and refarkling
So, I may lose my ADV credentials for this one, but I am a firm believer that farkling can go too far. No offence to anyone who lives for the farkle, but I prefer simplicity.
One area of the new rig that looked really fussy to me was the rear mudguard, tool tube combo.
The tool tube isn't big enough to put all my tools in, so if I'm going to carry a tool bag elsewhere, I may as well put everything in there. All told, there were two steel brackets and the aluminium fender extender on there, the tube and two hose clamps, there has to be a a way to simplify. Under all that was an ugly (and evil looking) bracket which I wanted to clean up. Step one, rub some graphite on my thumb and get an impression of the shape of the bracket.
Take a picture of the rubbing with something of known size (100mm caliper spacing).
Import into CAD (Inventor in this case, I also run Solidworks and NX), and scale based off the 100mm calipers. Draw around it and add ears for the auxiliary brake lights. Hmmm ... looks good in Carbon ...
Pop into work and route it out of .... Carbon Fiber. Because when you have a 1200lb rig, there's nothing like saving a few grams with some CF.
Mount the aux brake lights with some 3M VHB tape. Looking clean.
Finished article ... I'm not sure Sophie approves or not ....!
All the stuff that was removed.
When we were down in SoCal, I bought a big dog bed and just kind of wedged it into the chair for the trip. It worked, but not well. There is a bunch of electrical stuff under the seat that she was just sitting on.
I made up a sub floor that provides clearance for the electrical gubbins, out of plywood.
Time to break out the 57 year old Singer, and narrow up the dog bed. I also added a couple of straps to stop it riding down as she moves around.
Hmmm .... still doesn't look too impressed.
And while I had the sewing machine out, I made a couple of bags for the Porsche jack that came with the bike. Don't judge too harshly, I've only been sewing for a couple of months, but it'll stop them rattling around in the trunk for now.
That's it for this weekend .... next update will be 'alignment', if I can ever figure it out ....
You can call yourself a novice but that square bag for the jack is pretty cool!
Given that you apparently live in WA a zippered opening in the Tonneau may be helpful but of course the dog has to be lifted in if it's in place.
Fortunately Justin doesn't like the wind in his face.
You do nice work.
Good to see you are out riding.