Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by VascoMerlin, Aug 24, 2006.
With an average yearly temp of 67 degrees I need cooling grips and jacket....
I guess that's a matter of perception and where your expectations are. I have the heated filament type, been on the bike for 3 years, work great and at times get too hot even when on the low setting. That's why asking advice on what works sometimes (I said sometimes) is silly. Accesories, tires, oil to use, try different stuff and you'll find what works for you. If you're not willing to try different things, you're setting yourself up for dissappointment. There isn't always an instant answer, one size fits all remedy.
Now go ride!
This comment made me look up the stats for Tulsa, OK.
Interesting stuff. We avg 60.8 deg annually, but we have about as many <32 deg days as we have >90 deg days (each is over sixty days). Calling Tulsa weather "mild" is a gross understatement.
My drive way is at 7000ft so average temps are 45.8F. While we get more snow than most anywhere we have lots of sunshine (its Arizona!) so riding year round is generally not a problem. Head south (downhill) 2hrs and temps are always 30-35F warmer anytime of year.
This was an uncommon year, we actually had a couple of days at freezing..(brrr) as far as Aprilia goes, I spent a number of my younger years in Durango, CO, at about the same elevation. Are you anywhere close to Cloudcroft? Oh, I just looked, Flagstaff! Used to drive through all the time on the way to SoCal. I love that area!
Yep,please let us know.
I've been thinking to get them as well.
I am running PIAA 530 LED fog lamps and want something to match the whiteness of them. My headlight is more yellow.
What do you guys run for Headlight bulbs?
My gen 2 low beam is 35 watt 4300k Hid.
Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread so i'll just make a list of what I have and post pics soon! I have an '02. I also don't know alot of the fancy part names for some things but bare with me
- Oversized front brake disk
- Acerbis rally pro handguards with extension for wind protection
- Gen 1 tall windscreen
- Braided steel brake and clutch lines
- Aluminum bash plate
- 12V adapter
- Heated grips
- Some sort of awsome rubber grips. not sure which kind they are but they're great for reducing vibrations
- Gen 2 front fender (looks awsome on the gen 1)
- New fork boots (more durable than stock)
- Highway pegs/engine guard
- Metal rad fan (not sure if it's better than stock plastic)
- MSR foot pegs
- Bigfoot kickstand plate
- HT centre stand
- Dirt Racks luggage rack
- Custom panniers ( aluminum, having them made by a welder )
- Joe rocket tank bag
- LED rear brake light
- Front fork brace (awsome, love it)
- Aftermarket no-maintenance battery
- Magnetic oil drain plug
- Dual Star oil cap (the one that you need a tire wrench to open)
- 16T front sprocket
- Aftermarket exhaust (not sure which kind, just came with the bike)
- License plate moved higher
- Rear master cylinder guard
- Paint job ( '02s are green, mine in black and sexy red)
- New seat (I'm making it myself using the stock seat pan)
- Bar risers (came with the bike, don't know how high)
I think that's it, not sure. That's just off the top of my head.
Mods I have planned :
- Wheatwhacker or whatever the name is mod
- Carb vent T mod
- Check if the doo has been done
- Switch air filters
- Make a plastic dash to mount GPS and other gadgets
- Finish my seat
- Replace crappy magnetic joe rocket tank bag with wolfman expandable strap on bag
- Figure out a new bulb for front headlight
- Get cheap axillary lights and mount to forks
- Double up my clutch and brake lines and zip tie to current ones
- Get different, brighter signal lights
- Get license plate light
- New paint job
- New 12V adapter
- New rear tire (any suggestions? I want a cheap 70/30 street)
- Cruise control
- Plate welded to opening of center stand (gives you a second bash plate pretty much)
- Have side engine guards made similar to SW Motech ones
- Vapour dash
I think that's it. I'm preparing for a trip from Winnipeg, Manitoba to St. John's, Newfoundland. Basically 14000 km there and back. If you guys could look over my list and give me feedback that would be awsome!
Just installed my fully rebuilt carb, KlX needle, and KLX choke lever... Very pleased with the results.
Once complete there might be a few stock parts left, but not much
Your list is very complete. My $0.02 is to put an HID on it, at $40-60 you get a lot of value. Curious what the benefit is to weld your bash plate and centerstand together?
Its a nice list of farkles but most are just that...farkles. Where's the basic maintenance items...pull rear suspension for lube, head bearings, fork fluid, coolant flush, brake fluid flush etc etc. I've put over 60K km in 2 yrs on my KLR with just regular old maintenance...and a upgraded Doo/Lever. Never had a problem...
You dont weld the centre stand to the bash plate, sorry I didn't explain that very well. You weld a seperate plate on the square shaped opening of the stand so when it's up it becomes a second bash plate by itself for underneath the middle of the bike instead of the front. I hope that clears that up.
Will do. Alot of the reg maint I didnt bother adding there because half of that has already been done and this is a mod thread, not a maint thread. But thanks for reminding me, I'll make sure those get done.
+1. Farkles are one thing, maintenance and performance mods another. I have like... ZERO farkles but a crazy list of upgrades. I am thinking of another KLR to weigh down for trips....
huh .. this is the mods/farkles thread right ??
.. I didn't realize it was also about general maintenance .. I never thought to post up about the broken magnetic oil drain plug .. my stainless reusable oil filter .. or any of the other general maintenance crap I do to maintain my bike ..
.. or is someone using some new fancy-schmancy titanium super-lubed tectonic wheel bearings instead of the same bearings everyone else has been using for the past 20 years??
.. go figure .. learn something new every day ..
Magnetic drain plug,yeah. Ss oil filter, yeah... Titanium fancy schmancy bearings??? Got me....
.. lol .. just pulling y'alls leg .. I thought he had a great farkle list going ..
***t, I thought you were gonna tell me something new....lol!
.. that was the ugly surprise last time I changed the oil .. hit one to many rocks with that plug and just got lucky it never let go somewhere out in the boonies ..
.. oil filter cover bling .. eBay .. cheap but fun
.. no joy on the never-wear-out bearings .. lol ..