Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by ktm950se, Apr 3, 2012.
As I started this thread, its only fitting for me to say, as well, PM sent.
Get your orders in guys, I want mine!
If anyone is on the fence about these guards I can assure you that they are made to last. Daryl spent a lot of time a several visits to make sure all the test pieces and molds were correct to ensure a proper quality part. I have several other off the shelf carbon parts and none even come close to these.
Got mine and they look great
Now I need to round up some clamps to get them installed.
just a note..
I had a PM about one side did not quite fit as snug as the other. This could be due to tank swelling or something else.
Be cautious not to flex the guards to much on install . It would be better to use a bit more adhesive and allow a slight gap then to have the guard trying to pull itself off the tank.
If anyone has any issues please let me know..Your feed back is extremely important to me.
Well I got mine mounted and I think they are going to be great.
On a dry trial fit I found the right side fit very well and the left did not follow the tank as well. Daryl had noted this may be the case in a post above. There are butt loads of posts about Safari tanks not fitting well or deforming when removed,ect, ect....so I'm sure no two are the same. Once the adhesive was applied it fit fine. This is how I did it.
I resisted the urge to spread it out and just left it in globs. My father in law is a wood working hobbiest and has every kind of clamp known to man so I borrowed an assortment before starting and guess what? None of them would work. After some head scratching and a beer or two this is what I came up with.
Cam straps from my white water gear bag. These worked great for holding them in place without flexing them. The painters tape was probably not needed but it made me feel better. I'll post up a finished pic when after I get it all back together.
Damn I wish I had thought of that.
OK, So what is the recommended silicone to use to mount these?
Is it the Dow Corning 732 shown if this pic, or something else?
I want to have a tube on hand when my guards arrive so I can mount them immediately.
Any good silicon based ADHESIVE will work. I just installed these on my 950 adv using DAP marine grade silicone adhesive.available in any hardware store
Step 1: Find motorcycle.
Find where the guard goes.
Step 3: Use RVT adhesive.
Step 4: Use clamps.
Step 5: Wait 24 - 36 hours.
Step 6: Admire how nice the new guards are.
I used this:
$5.99 at Ace Hardware
Thanks Guys.. Those look great IMO.
Mine finally arrived at Chateaux Wales today after being held for ransom by the customs guys. Held them up to the tank. Left side perfect (and I mean PERFECT) fit, right side tight at the front a couple of mill max loose at the back. Will add plenty of RTV silicon sealant on the rear of that one.
Out tonight to meet a mate who has a load of clamps, which I can borrow for the price of a pint of London Pride, which seems a very fair trade. Won't fit them under the influence though So guards arrived, meeting a mate, borrowing clamps and having a pint with a mate - not a bad day in my book.
Agree with all the comments on "oh yes, they are plenty strong enough".
That's sounds like too much information....
You British are crazy.
But we understand what you mean.
Be sure to post pics.
Got mine in the mail today
What a nightmare - I thought the clamps would make this easy, but they just slide down as I tightened them. Ended up with gaffer tape, wooden strut, bungie cord etc. God alone knows how I'll get pressure on when I do the other side tomorow. I am all ears if anyone has any tips!! No really - how did you do it?
Oh and just for Quesrtor, the Abbot Ale was really nicely kept, warm outside, shot the breeze with Matt
EDIT: sorry about the pic size - I'll blame photobucket.
Cam buckle straps like in post 86 of this thread
BTW I used a black magic marker to color the raw cut edge of the guard before installing it.
I used this:
and the results:
Thanks Guys - I used tape on the LHS and it seems OK this morning. Need some more RTV SS so may piuck up a strap as well.
Sorry your having problems Mate... I also used tape and a single clamp on my installation, Make sure you dont overtighten things when they are setting up. I like the strap approach as well. Theres just no easy spot to get a clamp on.
I used a zig zag bead leaving about an inch between the various beads of silicon.