Mootsuno and Leadman's TAT adventure, plus a little more.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mootsuno, Jul 26, 2013.

  1. jpkennedy71

    jpkennedy71 Adventurer

    Jul 31, 2010
    West Hartford, CT
    Really enjoying this RR, looking forward to more! :nod
  2. mootsuno

    mootsuno Been here awhile

    Nov 29, 2005
    Cotati, CA
    Eureka, NV to Coyote Mountain, NV

    This is the first day of riding with Nate and Art and was wondering how we would meld together. Turned out pretty good, our pace was similar and they didn't mind
    stooping when I wanted to and vice versa.
    We rode out of Eureka for a couple of miles on US 50 the got on the dirt and headed
    northwest towards Battle Mountain. Pretty decent roads, not too dusty and even a mud hole here and there. The scenery improved as we climbed into the first
    mountain range, nicer than the flat desert plains.


    Great riding in the rolling hills.


    As we rode on we started noticing large piles of rock and gravel on the side
    of the hills. Of course the were tailings from the many mines in the area.
    Mines, we need to do some exploring. How about this one:


    Where's that entrance go?


    That entrance was about at an 80 degree angle and we didn't have any rope. A couple of tow straps yes but they're a little hard on the hands.
    It was tempting to enter but common sense prevailed so we just took the pictures.

    We continued on to Battle Mountain for lunch at a pretty good Mexican restaurant and fueled up.

    The next real town and fuel would be in McDermott and there wasn't going to be enough daylight left in the day to reach it so we decided to camp tonight.

    We hoping to find some trees in the mountains and after consulting the map we saw Humbolt-Toiyabe National forest was within reach and in it was Coyote Mountain with an elevation of 7500'. That sounds good, has to be
    something there and we can reach it by dusk.

    The roads out of Battle Mountain started out pretty good but got horribly dusty pretty quick. We had to keep good buffer zone between one another for visibility and not suck in too much dust.

    I was riding in the middle when I looked in my mirror and saw three dust trails behind me instead of one. It turned out to be
    the two the Canadians we had heard about earlier in the trip and they were riding WR250r's. We stopped and talked for a bit and compared bikes. The little bikes are so much easier in sand, gravel and technical stuff but not so good on the faster roads. The exact opposite of all our bikes. Shortly after our stop we came to a soft, sandy trail section and we never saw them again.

    Once we got through that we were back some easy dirt roads again and wanted to get to Coyote Mountain before dark. I took the lead, got into a pretty pace and just followed the GPS track. I wasn't paying attention to time and after a while I didn't see any dust in my mirrors.

    I pulled over and decided to wait. after about 15 minutes I got a little worried
    and checked my GPS and roll chart. I had blown by a turn a few miles back
    and was off the TAT. I had seen the guys in over an hour and I was worried
    that they be worried about me. They had no idea where I was. I back tracked,
    found the correct turn on got back on track. Luckily they had stopped on the way up Coyote Mountain looking for a campsite. Oh, I forgot to mention that
    Humbolt-Toiyabe National Forest is a treeless forest, no trees anywhere so we
    wouldn't be camping in the trees.

    We found a spot near the top that was sort of level with very few rocks and no brush. It ended up being a great spot. We were about 7500', cool temps
    and nobody or any source of light for as far as we could see. The stars that night were amazing as was the Milky Way.

    The local coyotes were yelping it good that night and Art was wondering if we were safe. He hadn't had any real experience with coyotes and didn't know
    what to expect. He told him not to worry and after a couple of shots he wasn't worried at all.

    Packing up in the morning on Coyote Mountain.


    Tomorrow we'd head off and run into a funeral.
  3. mootsuno

    mootsuno Been here awhile

    Nov 29, 2005
    Cotati, CA
    Coyote Peak to Denio Junction.

    We left Coyote Peak and our goal for the day was to reach Denio Junction. After riding a bit we came up a hill in the middle of nowhere and a jeep was parked at the top.
    Being the friendly group we are we stopped and started talking to two gentleman. They said they were there for an ashes spreading ceremony and
    were just waiting for everybody else to arrive. They offered us water and some breakfast pastries which we gladly accepted. During the conversation it came up
    that is was Nick's birthday and the birthday of the deceased, Liam. The guys then
    pulled out a bottle of whiskey and offered Nate a shot and of course he
    gladly accepted.

    In the mean time a number of other vehicles arrived and a variety of weapons
    began to appear. Apparently the Liam was an avid hunter and gun aficionado and to celebrate his life they were "gonna blow stuff up."
    And when two Barrett 50 cals came out we believed them.

    It being Nate's birthday he was offered the opportunity to shoot the Barrett.


    I was about 15' away and still felt the concussion. After that we all sang Happy Birthday to Nate and Liam and were invited to a memorial BBQ in McDermitt.
    In fact the first guy we spoke with was heading out to his combination
    convenience store, gas station and butcher shop in McDermitt to cut up
    half a steer for the BBQ. We told him we had to get gas soon and he replied his place was the closest gas station. That's where we headed.

    We got there, filled up our tanks, and went inside for some lunch and there he was, cutting up the meat for the BBQ. He asked again if we wanted to come, Nate and Art really wanted to but I knew if we did we'd never get out of there until the next day. So me being the old man in the group convinced them to continue on to Denio.

    Just before we left we got an update from the KLR couple stating there wasn't
    any fuel in Denio or in Fort Bidell, CA. No fuel until Lakeview, OR over 220 miles away.
    No problem for my Dakar or Art's KLR but no way would the KTM make it. So Nate purchased a small gas can and we figured we could siphon
    some fuel from the other two and just barely make it, so we went for it.

    Right out of McDermmit the TAT jumps into Oregon for awhile before dropping
    back into NV. Before crossing the border you ride through Zimmerman Ranch,
    I don't know how many acres it but it has to be thousands.

    You can see the homestead on the green patch in the distance.


    In the roll chart, Sam C. says we should stop and the house and say hello but when
    we got there nobody was home, so we left them a nice note.

    After the ranch the roads weren't very well defined but were easy to follow.


    As the sun dropped towards the horizon we rode up and down through numerous small canyons


    and made to Denio Junction. This complex is basically the hub for the locals
    consisting of a bar, restaurant, casino and gas station without any gas.


    Their inviting sign.


    We booked a couple of rooms and made our way back to the restaurant before it closed. Of course the bar would be open for hours more which was
    most important because remember it's Nates Birthday, his 30th birthday and the
    boys wanted to party. And they're very good at it. I headed for my room around 11pm and at that time the bar tender, Sherrie told me they were going on their 10th shot each, not including beer or drinks others had bought for them.

    Check out their thread for a better description of that night.

    There is one picture of me standing on the bar which anybody that knows me would find quite unusual but when in Rome...

    Needless to say we did not get an early start the next morning.
  4. mootsuno

    mootsuno Been here awhile

    Nov 29, 2005
    Cotati, CA
    I've finally decided to finish this report. I had a bunch of things going and I sort of forgot about it.

    So let's pick up where I left off.

    Day 27

    As I thought we didn't get an early start. We ended up rolling out of Denio Junction
    about 11am. We had a long way to go that day, all the way to Lakeview Or.

    So, we we decided to skip a few miles of the trail and slab it to Virgin Valley.
    Yes, that's the real name and it's where the TAT intersects with Hwy 140
    which we took out of Denio Junction.

    As we pulled off the highway we came upon the Virgin Valley campground.
    It's in the middle of the desert and has a large natural spring that feeds
    a great swimming hole. And even though we had a ways to go we had to stop
    for a "swim call". Nate and Art (both ex coasties) said that whenever they came
    passed a swim worthy body of water they had to go in. Apparently the term swim call
    comes from the Coast Guard when a Cutter crosses the equator and
    the the crew who has never been across it before go for a swim, in the middle
    of the ocean.

    Anyway it was pretty refreshing.

    Drying out before gearing up again.

    After that we headed out on the trail and a little while later we came across
    the Royal Peacock Opal Mine. It's a open pit mine where you rent equipment
    from them and go dig for your own opals.

    They also have a store that sells jewelry and Nate wanted to get something for
    his mom. He picked out a nice piece and had them ship it her. I didn't mind waiting
    since they also sold ice cream which I took advantage of.

    Shortly after leaving the mine we came across deep mud water crossing. Sort
    of unexpected in the desert. It was another natural spring and about 50 yards
    across, we all made it through even though it was a bit slippery.

    As we headed out into the open desert we came across an older couple, probably
    in their mid 70's in a side by side, I think it was a rhino. They had camping gear and plenty of fuel and were desert camping. They asked where the next civilization was and I told them 10 or 12 miles back to the Royal Peacock.
    I thought they were pretty cool still doing that kind of adventuring at their age. I guess I have another 20 or 25 years of exploring to do.

    Of course we came across the obligatory wild mustangs with Art in the foreground.

    It's hard to get too close to them but I did get a short video. Just click on the image.

    Before I saw these guys,the mustangs I thought they were going to be huge.
    My belief came from first seeing their massive piles of manure, they were like small
    mountains. Apparently they mark their territory by making their deposits in the same
    place every time and the mounds keep growing. Sorry, no pics.

    I don't remeber if I mentioned this before but Nate's rear master cylinder site
    glass popped out and he had no rear brakes. One was ordered and being sent general
    delivery to Lakeview but he had ti ride with a front brake only for a couple
    of days.

    Sometimes you just can't stop fast enough with only one brake.
    Even using small boulders can't always stop you. Good thing that 950 is tough.

    A quick video of the typical terrain in north western Nevada.

    I think I mentioned earlier that our last gas stop was in McDermott and we knew
    Nate wasn't going to make it to Lakeview even with an extra gas can strapped on back. We had planned to siphon fuel form both the Dakar and the KLR to feed the 950 and among us all we just have enough gas.
    so a few miles from the NV/Cal border we were passed by a pickup. we didn't think much of it and a few miles later we came across it parked at an old stone cabin in the middle of no where. We stopped and a guy came out named Pat
    to talk to us. He explained that they were part of Americorp and were doing some
    kind of habitat restoration in the area. We asked him if he could sell us
    some fuel and he told us that was against government policy. However, he could
    give the gas for FREE. So he grabbed a jerry can and dumped a bunch of fuel into the 950.
    Then he asked if we needed any food or water and if we had any trouble he'd come and get us in the pickup. How cool is that? We said we were good with just the fuel and thanked him.

    Pat filling up the 950.

    Getting close to the border. The mountains on the horizon are in California.

    One of the more dusty trails. Click for video:

    Just after getting off that dusty trail we hopped on a county road. We're cruising along
    with Nate out front and he comes to a sudden stop. I hit my brakes and stop about 60'
    behind him. I ask "What are you stopping for?" There's a big rattle snake right in front of you.
    "Yeah, what's the big deal?", I say. Apparently Nate has only seen a couple before and Art
    has never seen one in the wild so he had to get a pic. It was decent size, about 3'. I think
    Art was surprised how thick its body was and he got his pic as it crawled off the road.

    They probably thought I was a little nonchalant about the rattler but we frequently see them
    at our regular mountain bike park.

    This is the cattle grate on the NV CA border

    A selfie at the same spot.

    As you can see from the light is was getting late in the day and we had to get through CA
    before we could finish up in Lakeview, OR. I think our total distance in CA was less 30 miles.
    Just before we reached Fort Bidwell, CA (another town without fuel) we had another close encounter.
    I was cruising along about 55mph on a paved road. Next to that road were fenced lined pastures filled with cows.
    Between the road and the fence the bushes were waist high. Just enough to hide the calf that decided
    to jump out right in front of me. Don't let anyone tell you ABS is bad on pavement. I slammed on my brakes
    and barely missed him. I'm getting really sick of cows!

    Anyway we went through the outskirts of Fort Bidwell, which is nothing, and headed north back into the mountains
    and towards OR. As we climbed in elevation I could really tell I was back in CA. Just the terrain and the
    smell of the Ponderosa pines made me feel like I was in Tahoe and close to home.

    Art got a good shot of me checking the GPS after we lost Nate for a few minutes.

    It was getting late and we didn't want to go through the forest at night so we routed to Hwy 395 and skipped part of the trail.

    And of course here we are entering OR.

    We rolled into Lakeview about 9pm. Found a nice Mexican restaurant, ate and then found
    a motel.

    Day 28

    Lakeview to Lakeview.

    As I mentioned earlier Nate rear master cylinder needed to be replaced. He went down to the post office
    to pick up the part but it hadn't arrived yet. The next delivery would be that afternoon. Which meant
    we were going to stay in Lakeview another night. I had a day to kill. Nate and Art decided just to hang out
    and relax until the part arrived but I decided to back track yesterdays route to where we left the TAT.

    Then jump back on it and finish the part of the route we skipped and back into Lakeview. Since we were staying
    in the same place I didn't need to pack anything I could travel light. Well, light as a Dakar can travel. It was a beautiful
    weather and I upped the pace a bit through the forest.

    Just great scenery.

    And views.


    As I came down the hill back into Lakeview I came across the public swimming pool and
    noticed a couple of familiar bikes. Both Nate and Art were having a good old time with the local
    kids in the pool. Sorry i didn't get a picture.

    Well the part came in that afternoon and the boys went to work. I decided to do laundry. Shortest riding
    day of the trip for me, I think I did 70 miles. They got it fixed and we ate at Burger Queen (not the greatest)
    for dinner and got ready for tomorrow.
  5. GAS GUY


    Jul 27, 2007
    Garden City, Michigan
    Excellent report !!
    I look forward to the rest.
  6. raj914

    raj914 Short Timer

    Mar 6, 2014
    Very nice RR, thank you for sharing, you brough the places closer to me with those pics and videos. Hope your friend is doing fine by now.
  7. mtbiker

    mtbiker Adventurer

    May 26, 2007
    Southern Ohio

    I just started reading this report and the same thing happened to my friend and I when we were doing the TWVT last July. We got nailed for doing 31 in a 25mph zone....only there were two of them. When the officer told us that we
    had gotten pulled over for 31 in a 25 we started laughing and asked if he was serious. Then he threatened to put us in jail!! It ended up costing us both 139.00 each. They wanted me to pay 179.00 and I told the mayor that I just wouldn't pay it at all because it is just a speed trap so she reduced it down to 139.00. Gotta watch your speed in those small WV towns.
  8. mootsuno

    mootsuno Been here awhile

    Nov 29, 2005
    Cotati, CA
    Yeah it made us keep our eyes open through the small towns
    of TN, MS and AR. Once we got into OK we didn't worry too
    much anymore.

    Out west we really didn't see many cops. That is until we got back to CA.
    CHP everywhere.
  9. mootsuno

    mootsuno Been here awhile

    Nov 29, 2005
    Cotati, CA
    Lakeview to Crescent.

    This was our first full day of riding in OR. We headed northwest about of Lakeview and within a few miles it felt like we were in NV again. We were riding a mixture of gravel and pavement, pretty easy going, and after a
    couple of hours we decided we'd have lunch and fuel up in Silver Lake.

    The TAT map suggested cafe there where the owners loved to host TAT riders. We pull into the gas station, there's only one, fuel up and ask where the restaurant was. "Well just down the street a bit but business was so slow
    they moved to Texas a couple of weeks ago." We asked for a restaurant suggestion and were told that the only one left was a food truck. "Great, where is it?", we ask.

    "Right down the street but she's at the dentist today
    so it'd closed."

    "Anywhere else to eat?"

    "The local market has some stuff."

    So we just ended up there and got some snacks.

    However, before we left the gas the owner had to show us his race car.
    A '70 Mustang coupe with a 351 Windsor, fully tubbed and caged. It really was pretty junky but he was darn proud of it. Said it ran in the low 11's, so not bad.

    He also had us come inside where he sold some auto parts, different kinds
    of jerky and of course guns and ammo, all in a gas station. I thought it was cool.

    Leaving Silver Lake we headed into some of the more difficult riding of the day. Lots of deep sand and silt, no fun on the heavy bikes. The TAT map
    even warned of sandy conditions and to keep alert. After some slow going
    we started to transition to the forest and better conditions.

    Sorry I didn't get ant pictures of the sandy area. We were just on a mission to get through.

    Eventually we ended up on the maze of logging roads through this area. There are just
    hundreds of miles of them and initially they were wide with a good gravel surface.

    Taking a break at an intersection.

    Other side of the same intersection.

    Art passing some real logging.

    Taking another break where the boys were thinking about a "swim call"
    Even though it was a gorgeous spot the water was a little too shallow.

    Nate and Art on the bridge.

    The TAT indicated we would be riding some old railroad grades for a few miles
    and for some reason I was really looking forward to this. I don't know why
    but I was. The map indicated to be be aware of erosion trenches on the
    railroad grades and to watch your speed. Never found any.


    A little later we ended up in another maze of logging roads and we were having
    a little trouble navigating. There are so many parallel roads it was quite easy
    to get off the GPS track. We had to double back a few times. Also the dust was terrible.
    It's very fine there and with no wind it just lingers on the trail.

    We had to keep some pretty wide buffer zones or be choked by the dust.
    Not to mention the poor visibility. The picture below looks to be a great trail
    but the dust really did suck. In fact we lost Art for awhile. It was getting late
    in the day so when we regrouped we decided to route to the nearest pavement.
    This would get us into Crescent before dark. And save our
    lungs from the dust.

    Crescent's another nice small town on Hwy 97. We pulled into town and saw
    this great looking hotel called the Woodsman. It looked a little expensive
    so we ended up at the Crescent Motel. By first appearance it's a dive.
    Then you open the door to your room and you're pleasantly surprised. Really
    nice rooms, king size pillow top beds, flat screen tvs large bathrooms.

    And if you look closely at the broken motel sign out front it says it welcomes TAT riders.
    We also come to find out the fancy Woodsman across the street
    will not motorcyclists stay there. You'd be turned away. Whatever.

    For dinner we decided to hit the Mohawk. Talk about an interesting and eclectic place.
    It's completely filled with all sorts of taxidermy. Really,
    hundreds of different animals. PETA must just hate this place. But the service
    and the food was great. In fact I had the fried chicken (which I tried in many
    along the route) and this place was the best.

    After dinner Art and Nate stayed in the bar for a few nightcaps, no surprise there.
    I headed back to my room thinking that there were only
    two days left to Port Orford and the end of the trail.
  10. esp41

    esp41 Been here awhile

    Mar 23, 2011
    Thanks for coming back to finish up the report. It brings back some memories for me.
  11. mootsuno

    mootsuno Been here awhile

    Nov 29, 2005
    Cotati, CA
    Thanks. I'm glad I took notes on the trip. It's bringing back memories
    for me too. I should have the report completed by the end of the week.
  12. mootsuno

    mootsuno Been here awhile

    Nov 29, 2005
    Cotati, CA
    Crescent to Glendale

    Filled up with fuel in the morning and headed into the Umpqua NF. Our
    direction for the day would be primarily southwest. The gravel and dirt roads
    for the most part were a bit wider today but still quite dusty.

    Even with the dust the views today were spectacular. High peaks and extinct
    volcanoes on the horizon. In fact we only 20 miles north of Crater Lake which
    would have been a great detour but by the time we realized our proximity
    we were well past it.

    We came across a beautiful creek where we took a break but skipped the swim call on this one.


    Pretty much all back country today. I don't we went through any towns
    until Tiller later in the day. One interesting thing started to manifest today
    which was navigating the route. Nate and I started showing different
    routes on our Garmins. My routing was programmed using the maps and
    rollcharts from Sam. Nate actually bought the gpx files from Sam and downloaded into his gps.
    I know Sam changes the route from time to time
    but our purchases were only a couple of months apart so I thought
    they'd be similar. We decided we'd just follow Nate's tracks and avoid the confusion.

    Well, we tried to avoid confusion. You'll see in the picture below we're parked
    on the closed side of a blocked road. Both of us this was the correct way.
    Great we thought, they must have just closed it. We'll probably find some
    cool washout or something and there won't be anybody else on this road.

    After riding up the road both our gps's showed a deviation off track. Time to turn
    around and find the correct way. Which we did.


    A little video ride through the forest.

    Eventually we found small river that beckoned for a swim call. We stripped and after a short hike
    we got in the water. I'm guessing the temp was in the mid 40's, you know
    the kind of temperature that sucks the breath out of you. But,
    it was refreshing and did wash off the crusty old dust.


    A little down river.

    Much of the riding today was along ridge tops and gorgeous views such as
    this were typical.

    Easy for bikes to get through, not so good for cars or trucks.

    Late in the afternoon we came into Tiller. One store and one gas pump
    and everything was expensive. Captive audience I guess. Anyway, we decided
    we have a little late lunch before pushing on to Glendale. The store serves
    some hot food but the only thing left were beerdogs. Beerdogs are self
    explanatory, they're hotdogs boiled in beer. I don't know how long they'd
    been in the pot but there was only three left, one for each of us. Sold.

    We got back on the road and headed down Tiller Trail Hwy for a few miles
    then back on to the dirt. We decided to camp tonight and used the gps
    to find a campsite near Glendale. We found one just north of Glendale
    right along I-5. This place was interesting. There weren't any other campers
    Everybody there was permanent residents. Lots of junky trailers and motor homes.
    But 10 bucks a piece , it had flush toilets and showers and it was getting late.

    After the beerdogs nobody was too hungry so we skipped
    any restaurants and just heated up the last of the soup that we
    had packed.

    Tomorrow was going to be the last day on the trail and I was
    having some interesting feelings about that.
  13. jpkennedy71

    jpkennedy71 Adventurer

    Jul 31, 2010
    West Hartford, CT
  14. Deah

    Deah WonderingButNotLost

    Nov 26, 2007
    Houston, PA

    Great lunch time reading!
  15. mootsuno

    mootsuno Been here awhile

    Nov 29, 2005
    Cotati, CA
    Glendale to Port Orford......end of the trail.

    This morning we broke camp, rolled out to I-5 and rode a couple miles into
    Glendale proper for some breakfast and fuel. We only had about 130 miles
    to Port Orford of fairly easy riding so we weren't in a hurry. We found a funky
    bookstore-coffee shop in town, one of those sort hippy places.

    I had a muffin and tea, the boys had coffee and some pastries. We hung there
    for a while then grabbed some snacks for lunch at the local grocery. Looking at the maps
    we weren't going to be passing through any towns until we reached Port Orford.
    We fueled up and headed out of town. Right away Nate's GPS directed to a road
    that led into a saw mill, so in we went. We got a few strange looks form the employees
    and discovered the road didn't go through. Out the entrance we went and rerouted around the mill.

    The first 1/2 hour or so was all on pavement and I was getting a little depressed. I want to finish the TAT
    on dirt, not pavement. We did some climbing on the tarmac and eventually got back on the dirt.

    Much of the part of the route is on ridge top roads that afford more great views which
    you can see below. No complaints about the weather either.


    In this shot you can really see the logging industry at work. Clear cutting, new growth younger trees
    and fully mature forest. Didn't know if it was a second growth forest or not though.

    After a couple of hours of riding dirt roads we ended up back on the pavement. For pavement
    it was pretty good riding. Smooth, curvy with a lot of ups and downs. I was still disappointed
    I want to finish on dirt. Following the route we came to dirt pavement split, route said to take the dirt.

    Art was tired of riding dirt and said he wanted to stay pavement. He checked his map and found
    a paved route to Port Orford. I wanted the dirt, Nate could go either way. We discussed it. Nate and I
    would take the dirt route and Art the paved. We'd meet later in the day in Port Orford.

    Only a few more miles to go and I could tell we were getting near the coast. The air feels a little
    more humid, the temperature cools and maybe a little whiff of salt air. Most of the roads
    were wide enough for cars pass one another but were then routed to a rarely used trail
    as you can see below.

    This trail was fun, a nice double track. But, after about fifteen minutes of riding we came upon a bit of a
    tree obstacle. We weren't going get over that.

    Looking around we discovered a narrow single track up and around the fallen tree.
    We thought we walk it before riding and found that the gap between the logs
    was just too narrow to get through with baggage. It was going to take less time
    to back track and reroute than to remove and reinstall the bags. So, that's
    what we did.

    You can see our predicament.

    A little later we thought we were going to have another detour, at least that's
    what the road sign indicated. We decided to ignore it. Coming around the corner
    we found out why the detour was in place. Most of the road was gone stemming
    from a landslide. A few feet were left, not enough for a car but easy for a bike.

    Nate ready to ride through.

    And coming out of the closed road.

    Just after that we rolled out on to Elk River. It follows the Elk River (duh) and is the last road
    until we run into US-101 and Port Orford.

    Both Nate and realized we just finished the TAT. A few fist pumps in the air and virtual high fives.
    I felt a great feeling of accomplishment and excitement. I also felt sad. Tomorrow I was going to ride
    home and the adventure would be over. After five weeks of travelling being home wasn't that appealing.
    I also felt a little sad for Pete. He had already been home for a couple weeks and missed the best part
    of the trip. In my opinion anyway.

    In another post I'll comment of what I thought of the trip, the bike and equipment, and how
    Pete is doing.

    Port Orford is a small tourist town and as we pulled into town we were greeted with this.

    That looks like the way to go. Following the arrow brings you to a vista above
    the beach where a most every TAT'er takes their ubiquitous photo. So who
    are we to argue.

    Although it's perfectly legal to ride you bike on the beach in OR we decided just to park
    in the lot and walk down to the ocean. I know we should have rode it but the sand on the
    path to the beach was deep and soft and we didn't feel like wrestling the bikes
    at the end of the day.

    What a great feeling, starting with my feet in Atlantic, riding over 6000 miles of
    back roads and trails and finishing in the Pacific.

    I think Nate felt the same way.

    Now you're probably asking, "Where's Art?"
    As soon as we got into town we started texting Art asking him
    to meet us at the beach. He replied about half an hour later
    saying he took a few wrong turns and ended up in Gold Beach about 23
    south of Port Orford. He was going to head south on 101 to find a campground
    and let us know when he did. He found one just north of Crescent City, about
    70 miles south of Port Orford and we met him there.

    I still had one more day of riding to get home and another night with the boys.
    That'll be in my next post.
  16. mootsuno

    mootsuno Been here awhile

    Nov 29, 2005
    Cotati, CA
    Previous post just updated.
  17. jes126

    jes126 Adventurer

    Jul 30, 2011
    Western PA
    Dean, So glad you finished the report. I've been periodically checking, and anxiously waiting since your last post in Sept. Again, congratulations. Following along with your report, I felt like I was with you for the whole trip rather that just the first 4 days. Hope to meet up with you again soon. Jim
  18. roaming_art

    roaming_art In transit...

    May 4, 2009
    Long Beach, CA
    Glad to see you finishing this up Dean! :clap Me and Nate are prepping for the CDR this summer! :freaky Hope all is well.
  19. Meatn'taters

    Meatn'taters Not any more

    Sep 16, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Nice job on the report Dean - entertaining and informative. Thanks for the effort - appreciate it. :freaky
  20. DockingPilot

    DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

    Mar 24, 2004
    Andover, N.J.
    Excellent RR ! :clap