Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. kirb

    kirb should be out riding

    Joined:
    May 18, 2010
    Oddometer:
    2,050
    Location:
    Musky, MI
    VDST has been replaced by Centurion, but basicly does the same thing. Both were done by Techo-research
    Question for Centurion owners...does the software let you tweek the idle speed?

    This will let you see parameters and reset the TPS, but will NOT let you re-map the fueling. Just be aware of that if your intention is to tune the EFI.
  2. pyoungbl

    pyoungbl Colonel Blood

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Oddometer:
    846
    Location:
    Portsmouth, Virginia
    If you are considering changing the mapping you need to look at Rexxer http://www.rexxer.com/ . You will spend more money but have the ability to manipulate the ECU. The unit comes with a new flash for your ECU. You can keep your original flash so if you ever want to go back to stock that is an option. Rexxer will let you richen up the entire map by, say, 10%...15%...20% or just modify specific parts of the map. In addition you can do things like delete the O2 sensors. Contact Rexxer for more details, I'm not affiliated in any way.

    Peter Y.
  3. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    To answer your question, no, there isn't. :cry

    -SM
  4. kirb

    kirb should be out riding

    Joined:
    May 18, 2010
    Oddometer:
    2,050
    Location:
    Musky, MI
    Well, Ducati Diag lets you look and reset the TPS for free. They also have a map uploading feature that does cost a little, but I never had a warm-fuzzy that it was going to work for me. I had a hard time downloading the existing map.

    Interesting link to rexxer.com...Techoresearch has a similar product- rexXer that looks identical, but they don't offer the 'pro' version. I could never get a straight answer from TR about the product. It sounded like you had TR make a map for you based on your bike mods, they sent the product to you, you swapped maps with the RexXer device. You couldn't use the device on more than one bike and they had to make the map for you. The rexxer link describes a little more flexibility. Cost from rexxer or TR seem to be the same. TR re-selling?

    Says something about custom dash displays. Get rid of annoying serif from Guzzi number font?

    http://www.technoresearch.com
    http://www.rexxer.com/
  5. pyoungbl

    pyoungbl Colonel Blood

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Oddometer:
    846
    Location:
    Portsmouth, Virginia
    The Rexxer product comes from Italy and is not connected with TR. The TR VDST that I had for my Ducati would give me lots of information about the engine, allow TPS re-set, show error codes, and turn off the service reminder. There was no way to mess with the mapping of the ECU. I could use the VDST on any bike with that ECU (never did try it on another bike). It seemed that the cost was about $250. Maybe they offer a more comprehensive product now. The Rexxer folks have made up custom maps for lots of bikes and ECUs. Their unit will ship with a custom map for your bike. You can manipulate that map.

    Oddly enough, I happened to meet the guy who is Rexxer. Originally he developed Rexxer while living in Germany but has since moved to Italy. He was visiting the US a couple weeks ago and we met at Redline where he was meeting with Dave Lillard. Redline is the US distributor for Rexxer.

    Once again, I'm not connected with Rexxer or Redline.

    Peter Y.
  6. gplassm

    gplassm Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2009
    Oddometer:
    650
    Location:
    Western Mass
  7. pyoungbl

    pyoungbl Colonel Blood

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Oddometer:
    846
    Location:
    Portsmouth, Virginia
    Shipping the bike is a very reasonable option. When you consider the cost of a flight to MI and then the various expenses involved in riding it back across the US, the shipping charges are attractive. You save $Ks compared to a new NTX and get a very nice bike, albeit one that is already four years old.

    Peter Y.
  8. gplassm

    gplassm Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2009
    Oddometer:
    650
    Location:
    Western Mass
    Hmm. After looking into it, it looks like the '09's had much smaller fuel capacities than the newer ones, and that makes an older one much less attractive to me...
  9. rocker59

    rocker59 diplomatico di moto

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2004
    Oddometer:
    16,463
    Location:
    The Trans-Mississippi
    Hence the great price...

    Yes, the early Stelvios had 4.75 gallon tanks. The current Stelvio NTX is about 8.5 gallons.



    edit: Remember that Stucchi makes an AUX fuel cell for the Stelvio. About 2.5 gallons. Lots of people with the early Stelvios went that route.
  10. Demar39

    Demar39 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2012
    Oddometer:
    378
    Location:
    San Mateo, CA
  11. kirb

    kirb should be out riding

    Joined:
    May 18, 2010
    Oddometer:
    2,050
    Location:
    Musky, MI
    Emailed Rexxer...got a direct reply from David (president):
    The Rexxer user allows you to read out the original file and then write a file plus the service features that apply to your ecu. The uploaded map is built by me based on your specs, pipe, air filter etc. The tool will not allow you to adjust the map files only read/write and most importantly the checksum. The beauty of the tool is if you want to change the map or modify the bike and change the map it's merely an email. I send you the new map per your request.
    Techno is a dealer for my products. They are reselling.
    Modified display is not available on your bike as the start up screen is part of the dash logic not the ecu.
    Please fill out the ecu form on www.rexxer.com site under downloads. This will provide all the info I need to get you mapped and setup.
    And thank you again for the inquiry, David


  12. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
  13. RRVT

    RRVT Wild and Crazy Guy

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Oddometer:
    234
    Location:
    Burlington, VT
    They would actually buy you a plane ticket if you were buying a bike from them - http://www.motointernational.com/FlyAndRide.htm. Perfect opportunity to do a cross-country trip and save a few days of boring riding through Mid-West. You could fly there for free, spend 2-3 days riding all those great places in Washington and British Columbia, come back to Seattle for the first service, and then ride the bike home. I'd bet you that would be a great trip. But yeah, one of the biggest selling points of the NTX is the range, plus a lot of farkles are included.

    After I did a fly&ride from Wisconsin to Vermont and a cross-country trip two weeks apart from each other, I realized that buying a bike on the other side of the country is a great way to save money and spare yourself a lot of slab time. I think next time I am ready to do some riding on West Coast, I will get a good deal on a GS there at the end of the season, and then sell it here in the spring for the same price.
  14. Demar39

    Demar39 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2012
    Oddometer:
    378
    Location:
    San Mateo, CA
    That's what I'm planning to put in mine; along with a tool kit and tire repair kit and first aid kit.
  15. Chuck in Indiana

    Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2010
    Oddometer:
    394
    Location:
    South of Indianapolis
    I don't think that tool kit is big enough (in the width dimension) for any of the small compressors to fit inside. The dimensions are not shown on this latest posting but they were on an earlier one. Maybe you can go back to the company and request that info.

    I used a piece of 6" PVC (the thin wall, green colored stuff), about 15" long on mine. It fits exactly in the available space and holds everything that I need to be carrying, including the small compressor, tire repair kit, battery jumper cables, tools, extra fuel bottle for my stove, etc. I posted pictures on the Guzzi website several months ago.

    Edit: The title for that posting, with the pictures, is "Tool Tube -- '12 Stelvio NTX", dated 10/31/2012. My name on the Guzzi websites is "ChuckH".
  16. WitchCityBallabio

    WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Oddometer:
    1,397
    Location:
    Salem, Massachusetts
    A buddy of mine did just that last summer. Bought his Norge there. They even did the 600 mile break in for him so we wouldn't have to lose time on our trip. A bunch of us shipped our bikes out to MI and we picked them all up there and started the trip basically from there. Great folks.
  17. Demar39

    Demar39 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2012
    Oddometer:
    378
    Location:
    San Mateo, CA
    I flew to Los Angeles from SFO last October to pick up my Stelvio. The shop put on 90 miles to check it out because they new I had a long ride home. I had 850 miles when I got home. Not as long a ride as some of you.

    Pro Italia in Glendale - great shop.:clap
  18. pyoungbl

    pyoungbl Colonel Blood

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Oddometer:
    846
    Location:
    Portsmouth, Virginia
    Although I have taken steps to avoid having the aux lights cause me problems I think I'll try a replacement LED set. These look attractive because they do not use the mounting system that broke on Toad's bike (an others ?) and have so little power draw.
    http://mondomotos.com/lighting/led

    Once I get these mounted I'll offer an opinion.
  19. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Good timing as I noticed my left aux light winked out on my way into work on this foggy morning. I just checked and this time the hot lead vibrated apart from the bulb mount. I'll re-solder it tonight and reinforce the attachment point with some heat-shrink tubing, but I think I'll be on the lookout for a LED replacement set soon. The price is certainly right on the ones you found. They're 1/3 the price of the Denali D2's. :eek1 I'll be very interested in your impression of them once you get them fitted.

    -SM
  20. James Adams

    James Adams non impediti ratione cogitationis

    Joined:
    May 29, 2006
    Oddometer:
    13,049
    Location:
    over yonder
    On the subject of lights, does anyone have any crash bar suggestions that don't have the integrated light mounts like the OEM NTX ones?