Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. MoToad

    MoToad Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Oddometer:
    919
    Location:
    Nelson BC, fer now.
    Hey Pete,
    It looks like those lights will be the way to go when I get around to replacing the crap ones. I am finding it more and more disappointing that the NTX $16000 all inclusive price includes such a list of crap products. Ie: Mirror/signals, aux lights, invisible heated grips, etc. Of course doing all the necessary replacements would still prolly run several thousand dollars short of a fully decked 1200 Beemer.:1drink
  2. boxermoose

    boxermoose Now fully goosed

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Oddometer:
    2,886
    Location:
    Gulf Coast TX
    Ummm, I say from photo's in the other thread - I'd suggest that you keep the guards as they are and carry a set of eye bolts with you. That way you can mount them facing up or down, as your umm circumstances dictate that day for recovery purposes:clap
  3. boxermoose

    boxermoose Now fully goosed

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Oddometer:
    2,886
    Location:
    Gulf Coast TX
    Hey, thinking about getting a Bagster tank cover - anyone reliable in North America handle the line?

    Any pics of anyone with one installed?
  4. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,755
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    This is a new one Toad. Can you expand on it a bit? I just installed my Guzzi heated grips on Sunday and they work great! 30 degree weather, and yesterday a nice pissing rain, and my hands were nice and warm (can't say the same for my legs....I REALLY need to get a pair of waterproof overpants...:cry :vardy ).

    So far I've spent $230 on farkles since purchasing my NTX (by far the least I've spent on any bike in recent memory). $110 to replace the US-spec mirrors/signals with the Euro-spec parts, and now $120 for the heated grips. For the lights, I just spent some time in the garage cleaning up their dodgy wiring (Hella's fault, not Guzzi's....why Hella would attach the hot lead to the bulb housing with a heavy spade connector vs. a reinforced direct connection is just :loco ....the spade connector is so big and bulky it just flops around inside the housing until it wears through it's sheathing and then shorts out on the metal light housing). Like you said, even replacing the Hella's w/ some LEDs won't get me anywhere close to the cost of a BMW GSA (MSRP of $18,350 here in the US, but without aux lights)!

    -SM
  5. boxermoose

    boxermoose Now fully goosed

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Oddometer:
    2,886
    Location:
    Gulf Coast TX
    Not to speak for the Toad but I believe he is refering to the FACT that as advertised the 2012 Stelvios were inclusive of heated grips and like the rest of us were disapointed that they were deleted at the last moment from the bike
  6. MoToad

    MoToad Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Oddometer:
    919
    Location:
    Nelson BC, fer now.
    SM. That reference was basically a joke. When I purchased there was a whole world out there reading into the ads as having stock heated grips. Hell, my original service guy even tested them, seeing that the icons all showed up and assuming that they were working. I actually pointed out the missing HGs to him. As for why they left them off in the first place? Well, there's still no one out there who has answered that question.
    Kinda like when I bought my F800GS and the great query of the day was why Beemer was calling the other 800cc twin a 650. :eek1
  7. kirb

    kirb should be out riding

    Joined:
    May 18, 2010
    Oddometer:
    2,020
    Location:
    Musky, MI
    I highly suggest looking into Klim gear...Traverse is what I had. Kept you dry and had vented zips. Wear them alone or with pants.
  8. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,755
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Ah.....got it. I was hoping it wasn't something wrong with the grips (other than them being missing that is :lol3 ). Yep, I got caught in that as well. Dealer showed me the "heated" grips by holding the button in and sure enough, the icon showed up. But in the end, as we now know, no heated grips were installed. And I agree with you 1000%, the heated grips should have been included.

    -SM
  9. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,755
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Thanks Kirb. Do you have any feedback on how well they work in the rain? I've been keeping my eye on the Klim gear, but recently I've seen mixed reports on exactly how waterproof it is. Walter (aka Colebatch) and his crew went some 20k km across the Stans, Mongolia, and Russia, and all had Klim gear, and it all leaked in hard rain storms. I already have a $100 pair of "waterproof" pants that leak, I don't need a $300+ pair that also leak. :lol3

    -SM
  10. kirb

    kirb should be out riding

    Joined:
    May 18, 2010
    Oddometer:
    2,020
    Location:
    Musky, MI
    I was tired of frogg toggs and having to stop and gear up. The traverse stuff I had was leak proof. Cjracer over in the OC did a long WI/AK/mexico trip the klim stuff was flawless. They will replace it under their motto. I messed around with a lot of gear over the years and really like the Klim stuff....if only I could replace the ones cut off of me on site...backordered.
  11. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,755
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    :becca :becca :becca

    OK, maybe this will save someone else some headaches. The bulbs used in the aux lights are H3's. For those not familiar with H3's, they come with a pigtail and spade connector. That's why they're connected like they are inside the light housing. So, we can't get away from having that big spade connector in there. The only option is to insulate the hell out of it and stuff enough padding inside the housing to ensure the spade connectors won't vibrate against the inside of the housing, or vibrate itself apart, like mine just did (pigtail separated from the bulb lead and it won't take resin-core solder, so I'm punting and will get a new H3....might even get a pair of those H3 -> LED conversions for $35).

    Anyway, insulate your aux light internals and wrap wrap wrap those leads! :gerg

    -SM
  12. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,755
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Good to know Kirb, thank you! :freaky

    I'll be at my dealer on Saturday and they're the biggest Klim dealer in the area, so I'll check out their selection and might come home with some new duds! :clap

    -SM
  13. Blakebird

    Blakebird Solo Backwardo

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2004
    Oddometer:
    17,946
    Location:
    Parker, CO
    Lots of aux lighting setups use H3 bulbs - I had PIAA's that never gave me a lick of trouble.
    So far the Hellas have been great, surviving some reasonably rough offroad duty. Guess I'll know in another 11,000 miles if I need to wrap the leads or something.

    re: waterproof gear.... All my gear is waterproof without adding layers or shells. I hate pulling over for that.
    I've been a Firstgear fan for years. Had a first generation Kilimanjaro, a Kilimanjaro Air.

    Currently have a Firstgear Kathmandu and their top line Rainier - both excellent. The Rainier is an amazing jacket.
  14. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,755
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Nothing wrong with H3 bulbs, it's just how they are attached inside the housing that caused my issues. My lights were both toast in 2,000 miles of paved roads. :dunno Given that when they short they blow a fuse that turns out to also take out the generator, I'm taking precautions to ensure they won't do that again. :norton

    The pants I have currently are FirstGear HT Overpants with their Sheltex "waterproof" lining. Mine leak.....a lot. :cry I'll check out the Klim gear this weekend while I'm at the dealer. Like you and others, I really don't like pulling rain gear on and off, so I want my jacket and pants to be waterproof. My FirstGear pants are fine in a light rain, but in anything heavier I'm wet within minutes. My jacket is a BMW Rallye 2, and while the shell isn't waterproof, the Goretex liner is, so I stay dry. The stuff in my pockets, however, gets soaked (except for the one waterproof pocket).

    -SM
  15. James Adams

    James Adams n00b

    Joined:
    May 29, 2006
    Oddometer:
    12,331
    Location:
    Home
    My Hellas have survived thus far, and there's no doubt that they've taken some abuse. :lol3

    I'm interested in replacing and relocating them for more useful light. I'll probably replace them with a single LED light bar under the headlight.
  16. slipknot

    slipknot Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Oddometer:
    918
    KLIM is since December owned by Polaris so we might be able to buy the gear at a lower price from a Victory dealer since they won't know what to make of it. Maybe KLIM will venture into dew rags.:lol3
  17. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,755
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    James (or Blake), could you do me a favor? Could you pull the rubber cap off the back of one of your lights and take a picture of how the wiring is routed and protected? I'll replicate that on my bike.

    It's odd to me that bikes like mine, Toad's, and others have had both lights fail very quickly, but others like yourself and Blake haven't had any issues at all. My theory is the wiring is somehow routed or protected differently. Both you and Blake have had your bikes longer than I have had mine, so maybe they did something different on the early builds. :dunno There was so much arcing on my left light that there's a "pit" about the size of a pea taken out of the metal housing, and that vaporized metal has gone everywhere inside the light, including coating the bulb and lens. I'm going to have to completely disassemble it and clean everything before it's usable again. :cry

    -SM
  18. MoToad

    MoToad Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Oddometer:
    919
    Location:
    Nelson BC, fer now.
  19. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,755
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Thanks for the link Toad. That's exactly how my lights were wired, with the excess wire wadded up and stuffed into the metal housing, NOT inside the boot. But......I thought I had outsmarted the gremlins by shortening the wires inside the housing such that they entered the boot and went right into the bulb, with just a slight bend to prevent any strain on the connection. Well, that Murphy guy got into the act and when my left light winked out (why is it always the left one??? vibrates more???), I checked and the wire had come apart right at the bulb. Obviously it just couldn't take the vibes.

    Now the question I have is, even if I replace my bulb with a new one (either a standard H3 or a LED equivalent), what's to stop the wire from vibrating apart at the bulb again? Stuffing the excess in the boot won't fix that will it? Maybe it provides just enough "buffer" from the vibes to make it survive?

    -SM
  20. MoToad

    MoToad Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Oddometer:
    919
    Location:
    Nelson BC, fer now.
    Toss em. PeterY has got the right idea. not a big expense and a better setup.