Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. RRVT

    RRVT Wild and Crazy Guy

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Oddometer:
    234
    Location:
    Burlington, VT
    Not sure if this was posted before - an interesting comparison of R1200GS, Super Tenere, Stelvio, Tiger Explorer and KTM Adventure 990 done by Motorcycle.com:

    http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2012-adventuretouring-shootout-video-91439.html

    Since both the video and the article say a lot of positive things about Stelvio, I was surprised by the conclusion. But it's the stuff they said like "the Guzzi is the character bike of the group" and "the Guzzi remains unsurpassed in regards to charisma and charm" that seems to represent what the bike is about. And I am still very interested in trying this bike and really hoping that I will like it enough to buy it. After all, while I was not impressed by R1200GS after three test rides, I ended up loving an old R1100GS I ended buying later because it just has a certain character and hard to explain appeal for me.
  2. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,952
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    There probably won't be too much dithering once you get a ride on one. You'll either love it or hate it. There won't be much middle ground. :lol3

    My rides home from work yesterday and today are great examples of what I like about the bike. Yesterday it was pissing down rain (where'd THAT come from? dang weather forecast.....) and with the Guzzi's great low-end grunt, I just kept the revs down and chugged home. No dramas. Tonight, I was headin' for the barn after a particularly sucky week at work and kept it above 5k RPM as I ripped through traffic and zipped around bozos doing 35 in 50mph zones. It's happy to chug chug chug at 3k RPM or get frisky with a nice mid-range punch above 5k RPM. Just a nice, wide, usable powerband, with nothing scary to put you on your arse if you're not careful. Good stuff. :thumb

    -SM
  3. stevie88

    stevie88 That's gotta hurt

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2005
    Oddometer:
    24,402
    Location:
    Texas, I know, right?
    This.:clap
  4. WitchCityBallabio

    WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Oddometer:
    1,298
    Location:
    Salem, Massachusetts
    Interesting. In all the miles of ridden my Stelvio (as well as the rented one I rode the Stelvio Pass on) even with a passenger, I've never dragged the center stand. Ground clearance has never been an issue for me even off road.

    I also thought it was funny how much they loved the panniers on the KTM but never mention the Stelvio's even though they're exactly the same.

    Oh well. Even before the end I think I could have predicted the outcome. It makes me wonder if the newest version is that much more different than my 09.

    Guess I'll have to take one for a ride to find out. Damn. :)
  5. Renman1117

    Renman1117 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    Oddometer:
    42
    Location:
    Arcola, Illinois (ON A FARM)
  6. Mr. B

    Mr. B Contrarian

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2004
    Oddometer:
    2,067
    Location:
    Minneapolis
  7. pyoungbl

    pyoungbl Colonel Blood

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Oddometer:
    816
    Location:
    Portsmouth, Virginia
  8. RRVT

    RRVT Wild and Crazy Guy

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Oddometer:
    234
    Location:
    Burlington, VT
    I really hope I end up loving it, I have a feeling I will. It has so many things I am looking for - totally love the looks, long distance comfort, long range (hate to fill up several times a day on 700+ mile days), I like that the bike is unusual and will likely generate a lot of curiosity on the road, also reliability and simplicity, price, many accessories included, etc... I didn't mention anything related to riding, handling, power or any other ride impressions, that stuff will have to be evaluated on a test ride.

    The range really stands out for me though. I can go on for 4 hours easily without needing to stop. When it comes to gas, I like to error on the side of caution and in unknown areas I will often refill while still having two gallons left just so I don't have to worry about running out of gas or having to stop soon again. Bigger tank eliminates some of these "conservative" fill ups and makes it easier to sync your food breaks with gas fill-ups.
  9. Renman1117

    Renman1117 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    Oddometer:
    42
    Location:
    Arcola, Illinois (ON A FARM)
    QUOTE FROM PYOUNGBL
    Yep, it depends on where you intend to ride and how you manage your fuel. If you don't get far from civilization, don't travel 'out west', avoid parts of Canada and all of Alaska...a range of 180 - 200 miles is OK. At least with your NTX you have the option to go to those places with less stress. Don't forget that we get more than just a big fuel tank with that NTX; crash bars, aux lights, hard bags, hand guards, bash plate, 150 size rear tire, and wiring for heated grips.


    My 09 came with all the above except the bash plate aux lights and 150 tires. (By the way i did purchase it from MI and had it shipped across country.)
    Ive added:
    *Ram GPS mount and hardwired from additional fuse panel.
    *Adjustable aluminum deck shelf behind my windshield for radar detector
    *two (2) usb power ports attached to my handlebars for phone, etc.
    * One powerlet port mounted to internal tupperwear in front of handlebar.
    * Tool and fuel tube addition behind the right pannier above the swing arm. Took 1 piece of 4" muffler pipe and 1 piece of 3.25" muffler pipe each approximately 14" long and welded them together. Welded thin plate to the bottom of the tubes and the top has ginormous rubber stoppers held on with a black stick and zip ties. All the above painted black which blends in with the bike quite well. The tubes give me almost 3 additional liters of fuel.
    * Added Givi hardcase with pillion rest to rear carrier. Nice, can carry two full size helmets.
    *Sport Mirrors Forgot I had done these upgrades
    *Euro Turn Signal Forgot I had done these upgrades
    *Carc venting Forgot I had done these upgrades
    One more thing I will probably do when my tires start looking worn is look into a bit more off-road capable variant. Im running the Scorpion road tire which are OEM and while most of my riding is road, I would like a more capable tire for dirt/off road. Nothing hairy just a wee bit more capable.

    Cliff
  10. Forseti

    Forseti Long timer

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2006
    Oddometer:
    1,323
    Location:
    Rogues' Hollow Ontario
    Had to get out for a ride today!
    The driveway was a little dicey but it was worth it.

    [​IMG]
  11. Chuck in Indiana

    Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2010
    Oddometer:
    392
    Location:
    South of Indianapolis
  12. Renman1117

    Renman1117 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    Oddometer:
    42
    Location:
    Arcola, Illinois (ON A FARM)
  13. Forseti

    Forseti Long timer

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2006
    Oddometer:
    1,323
    Location:
    Rogues' Hollow Ontario
    Check out Mitas E07

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]

    (Not even bad in the snow...... )

    [​IMG]

    Work real well on or off road with a great lifespan to top it off.
  14. Chuck in Indiana

    Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2010
    Oddometer:
    392
    Location:
    South of Indianapolis
  15. MoToad

    MoToad Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Oddometer:
    921
    Location:
    Nelson BC, fer now.
    Cheapest. Simplest.
    [​IMG]
  16. Forseti

    Forseti Long timer

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2006
    Oddometer:
    1,323
    Location:
    Rogues' Hollow Ontario
    Cheap??..... easy???

    Perhaps.......

    But no where near a cruise control.
  17. Renman1117

    Renman1117 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    Oddometer:
    42
    Location:
    Arcola, Illinois (ON A FARM)
  18. Renman1117

    Renman1117 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    Oddometer:
    42
    Location:
    Arcola, Illinois (ON A FARM)
    When you say real good do you really mean just moderate butt pucker:eek1 or do they really hold a curve moderately well? Since I am a Illinois flatlander just getting to trails and curves involves a 500-700 mile jaunt. I would like the tire to not be twitchy on the pavement.I read the entire MITA thread about 6 weeks ago and came away scratching my head as to whether or not they might be something i would consider when i am ready to upgrade. Is the above tire mounted on an 09 Stelvio ? Thanks for sharing.

    Cliff
  19. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,952
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
  20. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,952
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Well, I checked out the Klim gear and nearly pulled the trigger, but I think I'll wait until someone has a sale. :eek1 Plus, I need an education on their line since they've got so many different models. Adventure, Badlands, Latitude, Traverse....sheesh! I tried on the Latitude and Traverse and the Traverse seem much better as an overpant, where the Lattitude (and the rest of their top of the line gear) all seem to be focused towards wearing them over a "base layer" like high-tech long underwear (which they also sell). I need something that can go over jeans comfortably.

    -SM