Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Ham

    Ham Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2004
    Oddometer:
    437
    Location:
    Montana
    Well Jon at Empire Cycle emailed and my new top box is in. So that along with my heated grips are on their way to me. I plan to take her to Phoenix so I can get some riding done.

    After changing fluids your first time did you guys find you had to add anything after a few miles? Just wondering as I have had snow out my back door since doing the first change.
  2. pyoungbl

    pyoungbl Colonel Blood

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Oddometer:
    700
    Location:
    Portsmouth, Virginia
    Never seemed to burn a drop of oil. I changed at 100 miles, 4K miles, and now have 6800.

    Peter Y.
  3. pyoungbl

    pyoungbl Colonel Blood

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Oddometer:
    700
    Location:
    Portsmouth, Virginia
    Kirb, I added a photo of the light installed on the bike.
    [​IMG]
  4. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,738
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Thanks Peter. It looks like they're small enough that the surrounding crash bars may actually protect them in a fall vs. the Hella's which look like they'd be the first casualty.

    -SM
  5. pyoungbl

    pyoungbl Colonel Blood

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Oddometer:
    700
    Location:
    Portsmouth, Virginia
    The housing is from billet so I suspect the weakest link in the event of a 'nap' will be the mount between the light and crash bar. It's fairly thin stainless steel.
  6. MoToad

    MoToad Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Oddometer:
    919
    Location:
    Nelson BC, fer now.
    What he said with the exception of 'now have 18500'
  7. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,738
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    :cry

    Well, I no longer have to deal with the Hellas. It seems that during the 5 days that I rode to work this week without the H3 bulb in place, the keeper vibrated loose and destroyed itself. This is the metal spring-type device that holds the bulb in place. Apparently with no bulb there, there wasn't enough spring tension for the keeper to stay put, so it popped loose and then vibrated to bits. Lots of little metal bits inside the light, including the broken tabs that the keeper attached to. RIP Hellas. :cry

    I now have a set of Peter's MM10's on order. $96 for a pair of LED aux lights seems like a bargain. Thanks for the heads up on these. :thumb Identical specs to the Denali Micros at 1/2 the cost. :clap Peter, how long did it take for these to arrive from the time you placed your order?

    -SM
  8. pyoungbl

    pyoungbl Colonel Blood

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Oddometer:
    700
    Location:
    Portsmouth, Virginia
    Seemed like forever but I suspect it was only about 10 days. I'll be interested in your opinion once you have them installed. So far I have not used mine but I suspect they will be most useful in adding visability for other drivers and maybe a bit for me. The multi LED setup will probably be the other way around...more for me than for others. I try not to ride at night so the tradeoff is just fine.

    Peter Y.
  9. Renman1117

    Renman1117 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    Oddometer:
    42
    Location:
    Arcola, Illinois (ON A FARM)
    So since these are LEDS with a low electrical draw are you guys foregoing the purchase of the wire kit because the $ 40.00 is a waste or you dont need the wire with the relay. A better question is the relay needed?

    Cliff
  10. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,738
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I intend to use the existing wires that go to my Hellas so I can continue to use the OEM light switch and dash indicator. :thumb

    Re. if the relay is needed, it is if you want to use a switched source. If you just want to turn them on/off whenever, then no, a relay isn't necessary as you could just tie straight to the battery (provided your switch can handle the current). LED really doesn't play into it unless you want to attempt something like tapping into the headlight wiring as your power source and your trigger input.

    -SM
  11. James Adams

    James Adams n00b

    Joined:
    May 29, 2006
    Oddometer:
    12,294
    Location:
    Home
    The circuit is already in place, wired to handle the current for the OEM lights. No need to add a relay.
  12. Chuck in Indiana

    Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2010
    Oddometer:
    382
    Location:
    South of Indianapolis
  13. James Adams

    James Adams n00b

    Joined:
    May 29, 2006
    Oddometer:
    12,294
    Location:
    Home
    Just as another data point, I filled up the Stelvio today. Distance was 291 miles; the fuel light went on about 16 miles before I filled up. I added 6.53 gallons, so my MPG was 44.54--my best yet, though not by much.

    Total of 5700 miles now; no mechanical issues other than those directly caused by the rider. Front tire is still a TKC-80 with 5200 miles (probably 30% life remaining) and rear is a Scorpion Rally with 1500 miles (probably 50% life remaining).
  14. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,738
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    You guys are still getting way better gas mileage than I am. My low fuel light comes on anywhere between 190 and 220 miles. This is "all roads" riding from 25mph to 80mph. Most is of the 80mph variety. :evil 32-33 mpg. Been this way since new, 4k miles on the clock now. :dunno

    -SM
  15. dirtymartini

    dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Oddometer:
    2,645
    Location:
    Harveys Lake, PA
    That's about the mileage I am getting....
  16. kirb

    kirb should be out riding

    Joined:
    May 18, 2010
    Oddometer:
    2,020
    Location:
    Musky, MI
    I was getting mid-30's on freeway (70-80mph) and much better at lower speeds. Keeping the speeds under 60 helped A LOT. The pic below was in/around deals gap, no highways, lots of elevation changes, most speeds below 60. Actual mileage was in the high 40's.

    [​IMG]
  17. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,738
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I figured that my lower MPG was due to my time on the slab, but that's the best way to/from work on my daily 60 mile commute. I could go surface streets all the way, but it would add 20+ minutes to my ride each way. I do take a back road home every night that cuts through a canyon to avoid the long backups on the freeways (yes, I can lane split, but it's nerve wracking with the idiot drivers here not able to keep their cages between the lane markers :eek1 ), but it's still 10 miles of freeway from my office to get there.

    Ah well, I've gotten similar mileage on every big twin I've owned, so it's not surprising. The bonus with the NTX is even with this moderate mileage, my range is still excellent. :thumb

    -SM
  18. Lobby

    Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2003
    Oddometer:
    29,575
    Location:
    San Antonio, Tx
  19. pyoungbl

    pyoungbl Colonel Blood

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Oddometer:
    700
    Location:
    Portsmouth, Virginia
    On my last long ride, about 1500 miles, I was getting in the high 40s on my NTX. This was a mix of about 70% Interstate, 10% off road, 20% two lane roads. It was cold about half the time. I seem to recall getting 47 mpg when I checked fuel vs miles traveled. My Multistrada, with the same ECU, was really sensitive to engine temp when it came to fuel mileage. It was common to put duct tape over the oil cooler in order to get the engine temp over 140-150F, where the mapping would shoot in so much extra fuel that mileage dropped to the low 30s. I don't know if we have a thermostat (don't think so) but we do have a huge oil radiator.
  20. Chuck in Indiana

    Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2010
    Oddometer:
    382
    Location:
    South of Indianapolis