Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Thanks for the offer Kirb. I may give you a shout if the rattle can approach doesn't work out. The mount is stainless, so I may have trouble with paint. We'll see.

    -SM
  2. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Well, I had a little time to mess around last night (after mopping the puddles off the garage floor from my gear hanging out to dry..... :bluduh ), and I just took a couple pics of my handiwork. I wanted to show the difference between the stock aux lights (made by Hella for MG) and the MondoMoto MM10 LEDs. So....I replaced my busted Hella with one of the MM10s and took a few photos so you all could see the difference.

    Here's a shot with the lights on from about normal height:

    [​IMG]

    Next is a shot from a little higher:

    [​IMG]

    Notice there's a lot less "blooming" from the Hella. This is because the Hella is primarily a fog light, and it has an internal metal barrier that blocks the light from going too high. The MM10 is a "focused beam" (per the side of the box they came in), so there's no such restrictor inside the light body. This might be good or bad, depending on what you're looking for. My primary concern is blinding oncoming cars at night, so I'll need to be mindful of these lights when I'm on the little back roads and be sure to switch them off when I approach other cars, because they are very bright.

    The are also tiny! About the size of a golf ball. Check out this pic:

    [​IMG]

    Note I still haven't painted the mounts. I just wanted to try them out. Also notice my fancy new Sumitomo waterproof connector (not the final wire routing....just needed to get it off the header for the pic). I know, pretty sad when someone gets all excited about a connector, but these are really nice, are super easy to use, and only cost about $2 fully assembled. I crimped and soldered the wires to the pins so I won't have to worry about oxidation later.

    Finally, the sharp-eyed among you will notice my latest farkle.....a clamp-on MRA Xcreen.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Wow....is that thing well made. No clue how well it works yet, but it's so adjustable I can't imagine not being able to find a position for it that will remove the little bit of buffeting that I have when cruising at.....um....let's just say "typical California highway speed". :wink:

    One note on the Xcreen that another member on this board also made: When I took the parts out of the boxe(s), I thought OMG, how am I going to put all these little bits and pieces together? :confused The instructions aren't terrific, but luky for me they came with good pics, so I was able to sit and go through everything until it finally made sense. Once I figured it all out, I was really impressed with how much thought went into making all of it. Can't wait to give it a try! I'll report back how it works after a few days of riding with it.

    -SM
  3. dirtymartini

    dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Oddometer:
    2,650
    Location:
    Harveys Lake, PA
    SM-

    I would really like to hear how that screen extension works once you put it though the paces. I was thinking about an aftermarket windshield but was wondering if this might be better.
  4. kirb

    kirb should be out riding

    Joined:
    May 18, 2010
    Oddometer:
    2,050
    Location:
    Musky, MI
    How do you like the MRA? I liked what it did for my FJR, but hated the bubble edge that gathered light for any angle. You can ditch the 'arms' and just pivot off the mounts. This sometimes will tighten things up a bit and get the parts count down a few.

    I just got the Wunderlich screen in today. When the bike comes home to roost I will have a few days of farkle time.
  5. ripngrip

    ripngrip Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2013
    Oddometer:
    42
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    Sounds good Steve, and congrats on the NTX. I went to Valley Yamaha as well, looked at the NTX and White 2011 they had, got good vibes from them as well. A lot of knowledge and passion for the brand. Let's keep fingers crossed for an early spring!
  6. Demar39

    Demar39 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2012
    Oddometer:
    378
    Location:
    San Mateo, CA
    [​IMG]I received the MyTech Tool Case today. I was able to fit my Slime compressor, tire plug kit and a first aid kit. The Slime compressor case has to be worked in under the locking tab but it does go in. That's about all that will fit but I'm satisfied with that. I was hoping to add a small tool kit but it won't fit.

    [​IMG]
  7. Demar39

    Demar39 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2012
    Oddometer:
    378
    Location:
    San Mateo, CA
    Here is the compressor in the tool case.

    [​IMG]
  8. Chuck in Indiana

    Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2010
    Oddometer:
    394
    Location:
    South of Indianapolis
    Thanks for posting the pictures.

    I asked Calimero on the Guzzi site what the internal dimensions were on his. He said 95mm (3.75") Wide, 152mm (6.00") High, 350mm (13.78") Deep. It's a nice looking container but not large enough (particularly the width) to fit the items I need/want to carry. That is why I went with the 6" PVC tubing.
  9. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Thanks much for the pics! I want something to hold my slime kit and tool roll, and this may be just the ticket. :thumb

    How watertight is the box? Is there a good seal around the door?

    -SM
  10. mikep95

    mikep95 n00b

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Oddometer:
    9
    Location:
    Sudbury, Ontario...Great Northern Wilderness
    Just as an FYI. I ordered the factory tank bag for my 2012 NTX and it fits horribly. My dealer tells me it's the right PN for the bike but after looking at the earlier model, they obviously haven't changed the bag to suit the new tank. I've since bought and plan on using a Chase Harper Sport Tour bag.
  11. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    As another FYI, everyone should check their positive battery terminal connection. I happened to peek at mine as I was dryin' the big girl off after the soaking we got a few days ago and there was a LOT of corrosion on the lead and the terminal. :eek1 Cleaned up with a wire brush and some battery terminal spray to keep it from happening again.

    -SM
  12. James Adams

    James Adams non impediti ratione cogitationis

    Joined:
    May 29, 2006
    Oddometer:
    13,055
    Location:
    over yonder
    As far as tank bags go, the Wolfman Rainier is a great choice if you want a big one. I have one but don't use it too much because I feel like it gets in my way a bit. If you want a smaller one, the Wolfman small Expedition tank bag is great. You can see mine on my Stelvio in this picture from today's ride:

    [​IMG]
  13. Mr. B

    Mr. B RiderCoach

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2004
    Oddometer:
    2,067
    Location:
    Minneapolis
    The Wolfman Explorer tank bag fits perfectly.
  14. WitchCityBallabio

    WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Oddometer:
    1,400
    Location:
    Salem, Massachusetts
    FWIW, The Giant Loop bag fits pretty decently and is pretty near waterproof.

    [​IMG]
  15. MoToad

    MoToad Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Oddometer:
    925
    Location:
    Nelson BC, fer now.

    :rofl I see you've got my only other shoes strapped on there. Crocs.:lol3
  16. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    So far so good. Had her up to 90mph on the way in today (just for the sake of testing the wing :augie :lol3 ) and the reduction in buffeting at those speeds is pretty dramatic. I notice it less at the usual speeds of 70-75mph, but it's still doing it's job. Note that I've got it set as shown in the pics in my previous post, so it's at its lowest setting possible and my stock screen is all the way up. I can still see over the wing (6'0" w/ 33" inseam, so long(ish) legs but shorter torso), which is exactly what I wanted. If I want the Goldwing experience, I can easily flip the locking tabs open, move the wing up, then lock it in place......a 30 second job (on the side of the road....NOT while moving).

    The only downside I see with it so far is I opted for the additional clamp kit so I didn't have to drill my screen, and the clamps are solid steel and VERY heavy. They easily add 50-100% of the total weight of the wing, and as a result it does make everything wobble over rough roads (rock solid on smooth surfaces). I did this because I didn't want to modify my stock screen just to find out the wing didn't work. I'll leave it this way for now, but I can see where this may be an issue off-road. To remedy that, I can either bite the bullet and drill my stock screen and not use the clamps, or just remove the wing if I'm going on an off-road adventure (would take about 2-3 minutes to remove). Time will tell which way I go.

    More later as I get more time with it, but so far I'm really digging it. :thumb

    -SM
  17. RRVT

    RRVT Wild and Crazy Guy

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Oddometer:
    234
    Location:
    Burlington, VT
    That's a great looking bike at a great location. Badlands, right?
  18. kirb

    kirb should be out riding

    Joined:
    May 18, 2010
    Oddometer:
    2,050
    Location:
    Musky, MI
    I was very happy with the Wunderlich, but lost most of the ability to raise and lower the screen. I moved it about 1/2 way up to get the full effect. Fully low was OK at everything sub-80.

    I am REALLY thinking about having some shields made up that add about 1-2" in height over stock, but have a curve at the top edge. I suspect this would solve 90% of users problems while keeping the adjustability of the current system. I like the shape of the shield except for the last 2". Not a big fan of what Calsci did with theirs.

    Maybe an adapter setup for Givi's screen for the pre-NTX?
  19. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I cut a piece of Lexan and used some Dual-lock that I had laying around to attach it to the top of the stock NTX screen. It added about 2 1/2" to the overall height of the stock screen. If anything, that was worse than stock! Not sure why, but my guess is it just added to the negative pressure behind the stocker and therefore increased the buffeting. The MRA wing, on the other hand, allows the wind to get behind it, which seems to throw the main flow of air over the top of my head, very much like a Laminar Lip (which I had on my Ducati and it was horrible :dunno ).

    The evening commute home will be the real test of the Xcreen. I'm usually riding into a 15-20mph headwind and with the stock screen all the way up it can really cause my helmet to vibrate. I'm hoping my high speed test this morning simulated my 70mph + 20mph headwind ride home and it will be smooooooth. :D

    -SM
  20. stevie88

    stevie88 That's gotta hurt

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2005
    Oddometer:
    24,848
    Location:
    Texas, I know, right?
    Drop that screen down most of the way, put your seat in the high position and stick your melon out in the breeze.:evil