Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. stevie88

    stevie88 That's gotta hurt

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2005
    Oddometer:
    24,876
    Location:
    Texas, I know, right?
    True. I actually wore out the sides before the center of one set last April riding those super twisty roads in the W Virginia region.
  2. Blakebird

    Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2004
    Oddometer:
    18,800
    Location:
    Parker, CO
    who says you can't have both?

    I'm a longtime sportbike rider who is picky about tires. The K60's on the Stelvio just plain work. Complete confidence in hoisting that thing way over.

    and my front is still looking good at 11,500 miles.
    Rear replaced at a little over 10,000 miles
  3. stevie88

    stevie88 That's gotta hurt

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2005
    Oddometer:
    24,876
    Location:
    Texas, I know, right?
    I noticed yesterday that it is pretty easy to drag hard parts in fast left handlers. I'm not sure exactly which part it was, kick stand or center stand but it did surprise me a bit.
  4. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Easy enough to tell. Just take a peep and see which one looks like it was attacked by a belt sander. :lol3

    -SM
  5. pyoungbl

    pyoungbl Colonel Blood

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Oddometer:
    853
    Location:
    Portsmouth, Virginia
    Dragging parts on a left turn, sounds like the center stand. I'd check the sag in the suspension with the intent to increase pre-load. Depending on what you find you might need to change the spring on the shock. That's not unusual when you consider that most bikes seem to be sprung for lighter riders, someone in the 160-170 lb range.

    Peter Y.
  6. Precis

    Precis Maladroit malcontent

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2009
    Oddometer:
    4,615
    Location:
    Cruising the main, Aus
    :super
    About to fit my third pair of K60s to a Caponord (so also a big, heavy 100hp Italian, but chain drive); first set did 14,000km, second will get about 13,000. Both pairs did a high-temp 3000km road-trip with full luggage. Grip is great on-road and on gravel roads but they need high-ish pressures on road and do better with less on dirt. No surprise there.
    In contrast, Tourances lasted a poor 5000km and the front wore faster than the rear: great on the street, poor on gravel and diabolical in sand, plain dangerous in mud.
    Only one downside to K60s: they can be noisy on some surfaces, especially concrete roadways: they 'sing'.
  7. stevie88

    stevie88 That's gotta hurt

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2005
    Oddometer:
    24,876
    Location:
    Texas, I know, right?
    It's the side stand
  8. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    One thing you may want to check is that your side stand return spring is doing its job and pulling the stand up tight to the frame. I'm not a racer but I've not scraped anything on this bike yet, and I've ridden it in a "spirited" manner on a number of occasions. :evil My preload in the rear is cranked up pretty high though, so maybe that's keeping the hard parts from touching down. :dunno

    -SM
  9. stevie88

    stevie88 That's gotta hurt

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2005
    Oddometer:
    24,876
    Location:
    Texas, I know, right?

    My side stand is tucked right up under the foot peg when folded. It's also got a double curve in it that allows it to jut out so that the foot piece is almost out away from the bike as far as the end of the foot peg. There really aren't any clearance issues between the frame, etc and the side stand that require that much of a dog leg.

    I haven't measured my sag yet, it doesn't feel like there's much suspension compression when I sit on it but that can be deceptive.
  10. Renman1117

    Renman1117 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    Oddometer:
    42
    Location:
    Arcola, Illinois (ON A FARM)
    I haven't measured my sag yet, it doesn't feel like there's much suspension compression when I sit on it but that can be deceptive.[/QUOTE]


    Taking a break from the work to peruse this thread. can someone tell me how much sag there should be and how then to adjust the rebound accordingly. Last year about this time, when my bike was in for warranty work my mechanic told me how he could set up the rear suspension for the weight you where carrying, but I really recall how much sag, and rebound needed. Should have listened and taken notes. Thanks.

    Cliff
  11. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Sag is set by preload. Comp/rebound damping is another animal all together.

    "How much sag" is likely going to be a hot topic, but I've always gone with a number between 10-20% of the total amount of travel. The Stelvio rear shock has about 6" of travel, so that would be about 1/2" to 1" of sag, which should be measured with you and all the crap on it that you typically carry. Empty the boxes, measure, then put your usual amount of junk in them, sit on the seat w/ feet on the pegs, and measure again. Note that you'll need a helper to keep the bike upright as you sit on it to get an accurate measurement. Based on the numbers above, > 1" means you need to crank up the preload.

    -SM
  12. pyoungbl

    pyoungbl Colonel Blood

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Oddometer:
    853
    Location:
    Portsmouth, Virginia
    To expand on the sag issue, it will help to put a bit of tape on a part of the frame directly above a similar bit of tape on the CARC. Draw a horizontal line on each bit of tape. This gives you a very accurate reference line for both the moving and stationary marks. Then use a metric tape measure because the graduations are usually easier to read and digest. I use a wheel chock to hold the bike upright but still need an assistant to read the tape. Remember to bounce the rear a couple times so it comes to a 'natural' stopping point...then measure.

    Peter Y.
  13. James Adams

    James Adams non impediti ratione cogitationis

    Joined:
    May 29, 2006
    Oddometer:
    13,061
    Location:
    over yonder
    Ordered a pair of the big 40L cases from Caribou to replace the stock Trax cases that I trashed (at half the price). The Caribou cases should mount right up to the stock SW-Motec rack.

    Fingers crossed...
  14. dirtymartini

    dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Oddometer:
    2,650
    Location:
    Harveys Lake, PA
    I am thinking about a new windscreen for my NTX, I seem to remember a discussion a while back about a Cal-Sci? I would like to get something to get rid of the buffeting and noise at highway speeds...I can't even keep my visor open.

    As I write this the current outside temperature is 5 degrees:vardy
  15. leafman60

    leafman60 Long timer

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2005
    Oddometer:
    2,593
    I dont think the CalSci thing is working. I and many others just fitted a Laminar Lip (LL).

    I use the same LL that fits a BMW 1200GS. I heated it with a heat gun and starightened out its curve a little.

    Only problem that Ive had with the LL is that when I forget to remove it and take it on severe stuff, its has bounced off the hook-loop attachments.

    I have the parts now to attach it with a removeable plastic bolt/spacer set up. Use a Dremel stone to bore your hole, not a drill bit. (Learned that from Maestro Gustafsson).

    Pyoung and I are going to be doing some severe rock riding and I dont want it to come loose again.
  16. dirtymartini

    dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Oddometer:
    2,650
    Location:
    Harveys Lake, PA
    I need to find some solution, I like riding with my visor up occasionally for some fresh air...maybe I should try an open face helmet in warmer weather.
  17. pyoungbl

    pyoungbl Colonel Blood

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Oddometer:
    853
    Location:
    Portsmouth, Virginia
    Leafman, I'm trying a varialbe lip from MRA, called the X-creen. I just put in on the bike recently and have not tried it on the road. Looks very promising.

    Oh, and what's this talk about doing some severe rock riding? You used up all my nine lives that last time I followed you off road!

    Peter Y.
  18. leafman60

    leafman60 Long timer

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2005
    Oddometer:
    2,593

    Just be patient, I'll let you know when it's time to go.
  19. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    +1 on the Xcreen. I LOVE mine. I've had it on for a little over a week now and it's terrific. I have the clamp-on option which adds a lot of weight at the top of the screen so it does get wobbly over rough terrain when the "wing" is fully up, but otherwise it has made a big difference for me. I love the fact that it can go from adding about 2" to the top of my screen (which when fully up I can still see over both) to "barn door mode" and add about 6" to the overall height of my stock screen and provides me with a bubble of quiet and calm. When fully up I can ride on the freeway with my visor up with no problem up to about 80mph, then other sources of wind start creeping in from around the sides of the main screen. It's also adjustable with the flick of a few tabs, no tools needed. :thumb When I get brave I'll probably drill my screen and permanently mount my Xcreen, but for now I'm leaving it clamped in place.

    -SM
  20. dirtymartini

    dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Oddometer:
    2,650
    Location:
    Harveys Lake, PA
    SM, I was just looking at the MRA wing on Twisted Throttle. Would you recommend the permanent bolt on option? Where did you get yours?