Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. leafman60

    leafman60 Long timer

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2005
    Oddometer:
    2,586
    Big-size Tool Tube

    [​IMG]
  2. Chuck in Indiana

    Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2010
    Oddometer:
    394
    Location:
    South of Indianapolis
    I used the 6" PVC (the thinner version, green in color) for the tube on my NTX. It's about 15" long with a shortened cap on the front end and a clean-out port (again shortened) on the back end. I mounted it off the rear case rack using some hand-made aluminum brackets on the front and a very large hose clamp on the rear.

    I posted pictures on the Wildguzzi website but am not able to so so on this site.
  3. WitchCityBallabio

    WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Oddometer:
    1,397
    Location:
    Salem, Massachusetts
    That looks about perfect. What mounting brackets did you get for it or did you make them yourself?
  4. stevie88

    stevie88 That's gotta hurt

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2005
    Oddometer:
    24,827
    Location:
    Texas, I know, right?
    I don't see anything there but a noose and a license plate. Could you shed a little more light on the subject?
  5. MoToad

    MoToad Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Oddometer:
    924
    Location:
    Nelson BC, fer now.
    Don't have a tape so I'm guessing 2 1/2 ft. cleanouts at both ends and screw clamps to the luggage rack. Hasn't moved an inch in 20000 miles.
    My only regret is that I didn't actually try a wider one in there as there is a lot of room.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. brooklyn slim

    brooklyn slim nasty, brutish and tall

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2004
    Oddometer:
    3,674
    Anyone know how wide the back end of the Stelvio is with the factory panniers (Trax) attached?
  7. ripngrip

    ripngrip Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2013
    Oddometer:
    42
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    [​IMG]

    Was able to meet Dave from Moto International yesterday, and bring the Stelvio across the border home. And loved it, took this picture right before the skies opened up, and drove the 30 mins home in freezing rain (noticed the little dashboard snowflake blinking at me!).

    Even with the not fun weather, loved the bike, love the sound, feel, seating position, and handling. Looking forward to getting it plated this weekend, and polishing/waxing to a nice shine! (Bike was clean, I just like giving a new bike, especially ex-demo bike like this, a fine detail and get to know it, make it shiny).

    Bring on the sunshine! :freaky
  8. leafman60

    leafman60 Long timer

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2005
    Oddometer:
    2,586
    That's the big-size tool tube for anyone who didn't see the heading, lol.

    Yes, I made the bracket myself. Works great.

    Not finished yet. Another addition coming soon.
  9. jwdub

    jwdub Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2005
    Oddometer:
    870
    Location:
    SW Washington
    Enjoy your new Stelvio Ripngrip! It can really eat up the miles.:thumb
  10. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Just for the heck of it I decided to try swapping out the 2" "arms" on my Xcreen to the pivoting mount. What I found was while this mounting method is much more stable (the wing doesn't wobble around any more than the stock screen does), losing the 2" of height at the max "barn door" position makes a pretty significant difference in the wing's ability to remove all buffeting (at least for me). With the wing mounted just with the pivoting adjusters, if I duck down 1-2", I get that nice bubble of quiet again.

    So......for folks under 6' (say 5'10" or less), the wing mounted with the pivots should work fine. For those of us 6' and above, to get the best performance from the MRA Xcreen, I highly recommend you use the 2" "arms" that come in the kit. For the record, I'm 6'0" w/ 33" inseam, and I'll likely be putting the arms back on my Xcreen so I can get that "barn door" effect on those truly nasty days where I want to keep as much of Mother Nature off me as possible (rain, sleet, etc), and still be able to move the wing almost totally out of the way for those hot summer days. :clap

    -SM
  11. leafman60

    leafman60 Long timer

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2005
    Oddometer:
    2,586
    GS (wide) Laminar Lip mounted with nylon hardware and threaded knobs along with strengthening struts.
    [​IMG]
  12. leafman60

    leafman60 Long timer

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2005
    Oddometer:
    2,586
    Any of you have the Skidmarx rear hugger on your Stelvio? Im considering one but I am curious about the amount of clearance between the rear fender and the tire. I dont want it too close so as to trap mud.

    I think they spec the same hugger for all the CARC bikes - including the street bikes.

    Ive seen some of the other options like Pyramid but I like the Skidmarx. Ive had one on a BMW.

    Also, I wonder about clearance with the seat bottom with rear suspension collapsed. I may could raise the hugger a bit but I'm afraid it may hit the under-seat area when I hit a huge hole and collapse the rear shock.
  13. jwdub

    jwdub Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2005
    Oddometer:
    870
    Location:
    SW Washington
    Slightly off topic, but if you're trying to protect the rear shock, I'm using a Traxxion Shock cover that works well.
  14. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Pics?

    And how easy is it to install?

    -SM
  15. MoToad

    MoToad Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Oddometer:
    924
    Location:
    Nelson BC, fer now.
    U can query Todd on this
    [​IMG]
    I think he's got a lot of custom made carbon fiber parts on there. But for cheaping it quickly and totally protecting the rear shock u can't beat the Toad Special. Go to Home Depot and buy a 10 buck plumbing roof vent. The tupe that the ABS runs thru. Take a box knife and cut it in half. If it were on the roof you would be cutting on the horizontal. Then slice vertically on each side till youve got it down to 6 inches wide. Then it will just slide up between the rear fender and the plastic central body piece. And yer done.
    [​IMG]
  16. leafman60

    leafman60 Long timer

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2005
    Oddometer:
    2,586
    Yeah, Ive seen that. Looks like it rubs the swingarm on compression. I have one of those flashings and Ive checked it.

    I can fabricate something similar but the trick is to keep it from hitting the swingarm.
  17. MoToad

    MoToad Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Oddometer:
    924
    Location:
    Nelson BC, fer now.
    No marks on the swingarm. Just kinda floats in there.
  18. stevie88

    stevie88 That's gotta hurt

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2005
    Oddometer:
    24,827
    Location:
    Texas, I know, right?
  19. ripngrip

    ripngrip Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2013
    Oddometer:
    42
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    Very nice! You make me jealous all the great riding shots, no snow here but probably another 4-6 weeks until any decent riding weather.
  20. stevie88

    stevie88 That's gotta hurt

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2005
    Oddometer:
    24,827
    Location:
    Texas, I know, right?
    Just to make you feel a bit better we are in the middle of a major blizzard today.:cry
    [​IMG]