Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Ham

    Ham Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2004
    Oddometer:
    464
    Location:
    Montana
    danketchpel,


    I think you better buy a Goldwing.
  2. danketchpel

    danketchpel Long timer

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2010
    Oddometer:
    3,211
    Location:
    Camarillo, CA
    Nope, no Goldwing.

    I saw the one at Elk Grove on their website. I also saw ones listed at Rider's Hill and AF1.

    I'm not trying to be anal about it. It's just that if I have the option to purchase one with the updated design I'd like to, if possible.

    What I was hoping to get from the community was, is it possible? It seems reasonable to me.

    If the 2013 has it, great I'll get one of those, if it's still a myth then I'll go for the 2012 at a discounted price.

    Fair 'nuff?
  3. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,953
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Seriously, I think the answer is "we don't know". In all seriousness, I've heard some folks report their '12's had rollers, and some report not, then some report their '13's had them, and some folks not. At this point I don't know which model has what, and can only tell you that shortly I'll know for certain what mine has, but based on what I've read, that may not mean squat for what other '12s have or what the '13s have.

    Re. the '13's, I think if you called up Elk Grove (ask for Larry Larson) and asked what he's seen so far on the '13s, he could give you a pretty good rundown. He's crusty, but a damn good Guzzi mech. :thumb

    -SM
  4. Cloudhopper

    Cloudhopper Adventurer

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2011
    Oddometer:
    68
    Location:
    Dublin
    Well you ask owners if they could confirm that their Stelvio has roller tappets.
    Mine doesn't, it's an '09.

    I remember seeing information though, that stated a date and engine number from which on all Stelvio, Norge and Griso engines have roller tappets.
  5. kirb

    kirb should be out riding

    Joined:
    May 18, 2010
    Oddometer:
    2,050
    Location:
    Musky, MI
    Did you ever think that the dealer looking to make a sale would take a peek for you?
  6. danketchpel

    danketchpel Long timer

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2010
    Oddometer:
    3,211
    Location:
    Camarillo, CA
    SM,
    I hear ya, that's what I've gathered also, it's a collective "we're not sure". Probably the best "hard info" came from pix Pete Roper posted up from his Norge being opened up at Rider's Hill.

    I just thought maybe there was a way to push past the "we're not sure" with more recent info. I put the question out there again as some riders like yourself are coming up on service intervals.

    This is the info I believe you are referring to, it was posted on WG. It's the best reference info I've found so far,

    "after engine number AC12596 03/12/2012 they should have rollers"

    I will give Elk Grove a call. I also plan to call Rider's Hill and AF1.

    My local dealer told me the 2012 they have does not have them and is working with the regional rep to locate a burnt orange 2013 model with a build date after what I posted.

    At this point the best I can do is buy a 2013 which is my plan. I'm hoping to put one of these fine bikes in my garage very shortly.
  7. Mr Mark

    Mr Mark Adventurer

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2012
    Oddometer:
    30
    Location:
    Coastal Maine
    My thoughts exactly...or a private owner wanting to sell.....supposedly a five minute job......doesn't hurt to ask...
  8. Cloudhopper

    Cloudhopper Adventurer

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2011
    Oddometer:
    68
    Location:
    Dublin
    Precisely.
    That info has been posted on a european forum by a guy that can safely be considered "well informed".

    Keeping in mind that the models in the US are often times a bit later than their european counterparts plus the fact the Guzzi seems to sometimes mixes parts, your best bet is not asking current owners if their bikes have the feature you are after.
    You are better off checking the engine number on the machine you want to purchase to prevent unwelcome surprises.

    And now, go out and find "your" Stelvio, good luck :lol3

    /EDIT:
    I just discovered that my Stelvio (and apparently all of them) has an adjustable gear lever. I'm extremely please by that, as a Beemer owner i'm used to pay for creature comforts like that, usually wads of cash towards TT. It's those little things that reinforce my decision for this bike almost every day. :clap
  9. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,953
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    But here's where the confusion comes in. My bike was bought new in July of '12 and came from a 3-bike shipment from Guzzi not long before I bought it (maybe 1 month....let's call it June). My engine number is AC012408. So....while my bike doesn't have a "build date" anywhere that I can find, receipt in July seems it would likely have been built after the 3/12/12 date, yet my engine number is lower than expected. Again, I'll know shortly what mine has, but I think this is part of what adds to the confusion (or maybe it's just my confusion :lol3 ).

    I'm NOT a gearhead, so honestly the presence (or not) of roller tappets makes no difference to me, especially given the general reliability (and longevity) of Guzzi engines, but if it's important to you, I agree with someone else who said the best way to know for sure is to ask the sales guy to have the tech pull the valve cover and look before the deal is done. I've been told they now use re-usable rubber gaskets on the valve covers (the old paper ones were a misery to deal with because they were installed w/ sealant and were destroyed when removed, then you got to enjoy scraping the gasket bits and sealant off the mating surfaces....yay), so it really should be a 5 min task to pop it off, verify what it has, then pop it back on. Easy peasy.

    Either way, an early "congrats!" on the impending purchase. I've been going through bikes at the rate of about one every 18-24 months, looking for the one that really seems to fit me and what I'm looking for, and pushing 1 year into my Stelvio ownership I don't find myself lusting after something else. Of course this fall when the '14 KTM 1190 comes to the States I may get a wandering eye again, but for now the Stelvio is a keeper. :thumb

    -SM
  10. brooklyn slim

    brooklyn slim nasty, brutish and tall

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2004
    Oddometer:
    3,621
    Fer chrissake, the guy wants to know if the upgrade which Guzzi itself thought was non-trivial enough to implement in its newer bikes is present on the current crop. Completely understandable.

    If you know the answer, tell him. If not, say you don't know. He wasn't asking if you knew what he wanted more than he does, Dr Freud.
  11. dirtymartini

    dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Oddometer:
    2,650
    Location:
    Harveys Lake, PA
    Thank you very little Dr. Watson...
  12. danketchpel

    danketchpel Long timer

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2010
    Oddometer:
    3,211
    Location:
    Camarillo, CA
    That is correct, the later ones have a rubber re-usable valve cover gasket.

    Here's the procedure and how it looks.

    [​IMG]

    Thanks. I am really looking forward to finding a 2013, closing the deal, and completing the search for my next "10 year bike" I started more than 2 years ago. I'm not into swapping bikes every couple years.
  13. Mr Grumpy

    Mr Grumpy Old Git.

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    Oddometer:
    115
    Location:
    Montreal QC Canada.
    The other alternative is to put on your gloves overalls & balaclava, then slip though a previously unlocked window (being careful not to trigger the alarms), satisfy your curiosity & slip silently into the night with a secret knowing smile. :D
  14. Adam R

    Adam R Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    Oddometer:
    146
    Location:
    Sunny East Midlands, UK
    All the 8 valve motors have had the re-usable gaskets on - the paper gaskets were used on 2 valve valve covers.

    And they shouldn't have any silicone or gasket sealer on, just grease so they should come off easily ish. Rubber's better though.

    If you take the valve covers off be very careful when removing the HT caps, pull the cap not the lead, and not the elbow. Especially on 08 models (although they should have been changed under an improvement bulletin.
  15. danketchpel

    danketchpel Long timer

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2010
    Oddometer:
    3,211
    Location:
    Camarillo, CA
    I like Mr Grumpy's Ninja approach :evil

    Thanks for the tip.

    Yes, I've been reading about the less than robust sparkplug caps and sourcing NGK replacements.
  16. dirtymartini

    dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Oddometer:
    2,650
    Location:
    Harveys Lake, PA
    I had problems with the plug caps after my first service. I haven't replaced them yet...I just wrapped them in HV splice tape.
  17. Lomax

    Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Oddometer:
    9,856
    Location:
    Westminster Colorado
    Has anyone had any issues with their battery box? I went to wire up some things and after pulling the batter, the battery box was brittle and parts of it just turned to dust. Kind of weird that plastic would corrode like that.

    Marc
  18. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,953
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    No, but given the angle that the battery and box is at, any excess fluid (acid) from the battery will not only run into the box (and obviously do "bad things" to it), but can also dribble onto the cover for the starter motor and part of the Y-pipe and make a bit of a mess. DAMHIK..... :shog

    One other note re. the battery, be sure to coat the terminals w/ that battery terminal goop (or back in the day we used vaseline). Does wonders at keeping the connections clean and functioning well. For some reason the Stelvio battery terminals really like to corrode..... :dunno

    -SM
  19. danketchpel

    danketchpel Long timer

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2010
    Oddometer:
    3,211
    Location:
    Camarillo, CA
    Does the Stelvio come with a AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery? I would assume it would given the battery position. Normally a AGM battery can be held at pretty much any angle as the liquid acid is absorbed into the glass mat and the top of the battery cells are sealed, there's no vent opening on these batteries.

    Hmm... good to know I'll make note of that.
  20. Adam R

    Adam R Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    Oddometer:
    146
    Location:
    Sunny East Midlands, UK
    It does come with a good quality maintenance free battery and yes, always coat the terminals of a battery.

    If acid is getting out something very bad is happening - in this case I imagine something else is the problem (small rats with powerful little jaws? :evil ). If it's the battery they cost arong £12.75 to replace...

    ...just kidding, they're REALLY EXPENSIVE!!

    :deal:eek1