Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by sakurama, May 5, 2009.
Start again :)
It's about time Chris chimed I'm with the "final" update!!!
'09. Jesus. We're approaching 5 years! And Gregor, it's awesome!
Hey Chris, I have a couple of the modified supersprox rears you could use to test fit too. Nice thing about them is that the center is aluminum and machines easy but the teeth are hardened steel. I don't know how well aluminum teeth will hold out with the big bikes weight and torque!
Awesome thread, buying another bucket of popcorn.
Hey, let's be fair - five years ago was the "first" rebuild. I rode it for two years and then blew the engine and started the next one. So my ratio of building to riding is... um, really sad.
Yeah, this is dragging on a bit. I had a second kid and he's already riding a bicycle. By pretty much any measure this is taking a while. In many ways I've sort of forgotten that I ever rode this bike and it's become more like a performance art piece where I assemble and disassemble the bike ad infinitum.
Actually Tommy was out at Chris's shop yesterday and he took a couple of photos of my bike. Sad that I have to rely on friends to get my progress reports...
But, wow, nice work on the chain housing there Chris. Sure would be nice to see some more photos...
The good news is that it's going to be winter again soon and that's the perfect time to test the FCR chokes. Chris should also have his FCR/CPR foam filter mount by then so we can test that on the dyno as well.
When you're finally done, maybe your should consider giving the bike a really good cleaning... just to freshen it up a bit.
Don't worry about those talon sprockets. Made from tough steel with a partly drilled center. Light and very durable.
Take more pictures, buy a nice used bike... ride :)
"In retrospect lighting the match was my first mistake"...
The new chain in today! Some reworking of the sprockets tomorrow, put the electronics back together and then we go ride! Hopefully after many delays this could be it.
Just a fyi on chain links. #40 industrial master links and half-links fit 420 o-ring chain just fine. (but are a bit wide for plain 420) So If you're really hard up for a rivet master link, get a #40 rivet link and shorten up the pins a bit. #41 also cross-fits, but the side plates aren't as strong as 420. And if you're really desperate, bicycle chain has the same pitch and roller diameter as #40 and 420. Bike-chain also has some slick snap together master links. The rated braking tension is 5-8,000lbf on most bike chain so it should take the load. (might wear a bit fast though...)
Yes, its 3am. this is the reult of trying to reroute someone else's bike that has a modified wiring harness and more control cables than you can shake a big stick at. And that big space behind the headstock where they all went through is not empty anymore! Then add in a bit of, oops, forgot to make a final version of that, and a few days later and here we are.
Well, its mostly together and I've got to call it a night. I think all the routing is done, now just put the carbs, cables, tanks and bodywork on and its off to the dirt lot behind the shop!
FYI, yes, they both spin! We'll start testing at 75% uderdrive.
How do you upload a video to this thing?
Now all you have to do is get Gregor on the bike, and you guys could ride around the dirt-lot with Chris pushing on the rear wheel!
Awesome! Kewl apron too...
Okay, I got it to play through a converter - very funny. Now make yourself useful and convert it to a format mac users can see and send it to me and I'll host it so everyone knows how funny you are.
The sad part is I could probably still ride faster than you with Chris pushing me...
That's what putting this bike together feels like!
After hours repairing wiring loom problems the bike is finally assembled!
It looks real tidy. If not for the front driveshafts it would be hard to tell its a 2WD bike. Here's some detail shots, not of Gregor quality:
Its all ready to go.....except for the dead battery. Its been on a tender for a couple of days and the green light was on but I guess it's just past its useful life. New battery tomorrow then I have some fun!
Maybe I should stop saying that as it seems that I keep jinxing myself.....
At this point I'm happy that everything came out as intended and any changes will be minor tweaks so I'll start on Tony's frame this week.
Nice job. Sorry about the battery.
You bastard! You took the 1000th post. of course you would.