Pirelli Scorpion Trails or Conti Trail Attacks?

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by UlyRider, Apr 28, 2012.

  1. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,953
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Balance and tire pressure both effect wear. Balance will make it wear unevenly and pressure can make it wear prematurely (too much and the center wears down too fast, too little and the whole tire wears faster due to heat buildup). And racers don't bother because 1 race and their tires are toast anyway. They don't try to get 5-6k miles out of them. They just want to get them to finish the race! :lol3

    -SM
    #21
  2. Desert Dave

    Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2004
    Oddometer:
    2,895
    Location:
    Tracy, CA
    Not sure where you guys are getting this from, but every tire I saw mounted at the track was balanced, including factory teams to privateers. I would usually double check the balance on mine myself, a little wheel hop due to out of balance at highway speeds gets really nasty at triple digit speeds. Granted I haven't raced in a few years but I doubt it's changed that much. Teams that blueprint a frame aren't going to take a chance on a tire being out of balance.

    If you want to try it yourself, stick a few wieghts on a rim and purposely put it out of balance and them ride those high speeds, you'll see.

    But keeping with this thread, I'm thinking of a set of trail attacks myself, so keep the impressions coming!
    #22
  3. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,953
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I can't use the TAs until the front (120s) shows up, but based on my RA2 experience, I'll certainly go with them next vs. going back to the Scorps. Turn in is quicker, grip is better, and as far as off-road goes, strictly speaking I never plan to take my bike off-road, just on dirt/gravel (i.e. unsealed) roads, and nowhere near mud or sand (at least not until the TKC80s show up in big-boy sizes :lol3 ).

    -SM
    #23
  4. Josephvman

    Josephvman I'm the Decider

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2002
    Oddometer:
    3,666
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    I had 3,100 miles on a set of Scorpion Trails on my Multistrada 1200, and was pushing the wear bars. Four weeks back I wasn't planning on taking the Multi on a trip to the west Texas hill country, so I hadn't gotten around to new rubber, but my broken foot just couldn't handle the HP2 Sport I had just rubbered up for the trip. By the time was just outside of Houston (around 700 miles later) I was right through the wear bars and could faintly see belts. I noticed a nail in my rear tire about an hour from home, but it was holding air, so I took it easy and stopped by a BMW dealer west of Houston. My choices were limited, but they strongly recommended Dunlop Sportmax Q2's, which I went with. My only experience with the Dunlops were riding from the BMW dealer to drop the Multi off at the Ducati dealer for an oil change and rear brake master cylinder update, so I can't really comment on them yet. I haven't picked up the Multi yet, and the foot is going to keep me off the bike for another 2-3 weeks, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the Dunlops work.

    I would have expected more life out of the Scorpions, which were gone by 3,500 miles. My front didn't have quite the same scalloping as the earlier pics, and my rear was reasonably evenly worn, maybe a bit flat in the center. The Multi is a torque monster though, and the TC makes it easy to hammer the throttle on the exits, which is pretty hard on tires.

    The Sportmax's aren't multi-compound, but rather use the internal belt design to accomplish a similar result. The Metzeler Sportec M5's I just put on my HP2 Sport do the same thing, so I'm wondering if there's going to be a trend away from multi-compound designs and and move towards multiple belt tension technology.
    #24
  5. jbar28

    jbar28 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2009
    Oddometer:
    165
    Location:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Glad I finally read someone say they get more than 5-6k miles from a tire. I also have a V-Strom 650 and my Conti TA's have 12,000 miles on them and are just now due for replacement. In fact the front is probably good for 4k more but I'm heading out on a 6k mile road trip, so going to replace it now. The only thing I don't like about them is that I can't get them now, only the TA2. Not sure what the 2 has, but I really liked the TA the way it was...

    This is the rear at about 7k miles
    [​IMG]
    #25
  6. Pampero

    Pampero Verbose Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2012
    Oddometer:
    756
    Location:
    Seattle WA and Nashville TN
    I also have an MTS and I wore through the Pirellis in just under 4000 miles. Yes, the bike is significantly powerful and I suppose capable of wearing through tires at a goodly rate, but I was disappointed in the return from them as I don't think I ride all that hard. Mine wore evenly but the fronts were a bit cupped. Although Ski's photo shows an extreme case of uneven wear, some blame can and probably should also be laid at the "foot" of road camber. This can cause tires to wear unevenly whatever pressures you run.

    Aside: I would be reluctant to willingly run a tire that was worn as significantly (and uevenly) as the one in Skifast's photo. As a practical matter, that tire was done in quite some time before that photo was taken. I would not claim it got whatever miles were on the clock as how long it was serviceable because it was toasted before the image was captured.
    #26
  7. Drunk_Uncle

    Drunk_Uncle Long timer

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2009
    Oddometer:
    2,807
    Location:
    El Mirage, AZ (Phoenix Area)
    I ran Scorpion Trails on my Uly, but the 190 because the 180s weren't available when I switched to them. I only got a flat spotted front when the wife and I rode to Sturgis super slab most of the way. The first set went nice a even should to shoulder. Ofcourse that set had Deal's Gap, where I cooked the rear enough to see the border between the tread compounds, and northern Arkansas. If I end up stationed back in Europe I will put a set on my 955i Tiger.
    #27
  8. AceRider01

    AceRider01 Fully Loaded

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2008
    Oddometer:
    681
    Location:
    Brisbane Australia
    My second set of Trail Attack- over 15,000km now and plenty to go-i am guessing at least 18,000km - this is from a guy who usually only get 10-12k kms out of his vstrom. It's the best traction tyre on dry tarmac i have sampled on my vstrom.


    on unpaved road, Trail Attack give nowhere as much confidence i have with Scorpion Trail - ST has got the be the best 90/10 tyres for unpaved roads.
    #28
  9. XPADREX

    XPADREX Funslinger

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2003
    Oddometer:
    8,164
    Location:
    Fort Raccoon
    I have scorpions on the T800 now... and had a set of trail attacks on my 05 F65GS. There's a post somewhere on here where I reported on why I love the continentals... in short, two weeks after install I got caught in a snow/slush storm and had to ride home forty five miles... they gripped the road like it was dry.

    The scorpions have seemed good on the Tiger... who knows. Maybe I'm just mystified by the Continental test track.

    I did find it interesting to note that my Scorpions (at least one) was made in Germany.
    #29
  10. FiveG

    FiveG Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    Oddometer:
    153
    Location:
    Connecticut, USA
    Anyone experience front end squirmy-ness with the Scorpions? I was riding my MTS OEM Scorpions (tires properly inflated, about 1600 miles on tires, temp around 75 degrees) on secondaries in Western Mass, where the State Animal is the Tar Snake. As I was heading down Route 8 (where it's fun and pretty), I found leaned over in curves I was getting more front end squirming than I was used to. I wondered if it was the Multi, but when I made sure to stay off the tar snakes, squirming stopped. Didn't squirm when straight up, either.

    I've ridden that road scores of times on other tires/bikes, and hadn't really experienced that degree of squiriming before. Temps were not excessively high on this ride, either.

    So, are the Scorps less conducive to handling tar snakes than some other options?
    #30
  11. Hughlysses

    Hughlysses Long timer

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2004
    Oddometer:
    3,787
    Location:
    Summerville, SC
    I don't think the tires have much ability to affect how the bike handles tar snakes. Have you ever stepped on a warm one? Depending on the compound used and the outside temperature, they have the consistency of thick grease with a skin on it. Anything short of a studded tire is going to feel squirmy.
    #31
  12. Ramv

    Ramv Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Oddometer:
    487
    Location:
    Castle Rock, Co
    I have found the Multi to be much worse on tar snakes than other bikes with a bunch of different tires. I assume its the bike, not the tire.
    #32
  13. browneye

    browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    Oddometer:
    9,316
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    It's the speed, not the bike. :rofl


    I didn't see which OP chose...
    They're pretty close in price now, the conti front cheaper but rear more. I'm thinking of picking up a 21 front for $85 while I can still get them for that, run it with a fullbore USA rear, change the front to a knob for dirt trips.

    Both are great tires.
    #33