Hello everyone. Since this is my first post I guess I should first make a quick introduction for my bike. It is a little red 1982 Honda C70. I bought it back in October 2005 while living in rural Kansas because the C70 looked like a lot better way to get around than the old bicycle I was riding at the time. It had 3200 miles and had probably been sitting in a back yard for about 15 years. With a little work I had it running but some shifting problems eventually led me to completely tear down the engine only to find much destruction. The bike had probably been run low on oil, burning up the piston, cylinder, and connecting rod small end. Two of the four screws that held the clutch assembly together had fallen out and were floating around the bottom of the engine case. I fixed everything and began using the bike as daily transportation and for weekend/after work fun. I rode it on thousands of miles of Kansas dirt roads and trails. All was good. Then I lost my job and moved back with my parents in Texas where I am to this day. Through all of this, the Honda has been my main mode of transport. During our more than 27,000 miles together, I have developed a strong attachment to the little bike and could not imagine my life without it. Consequently when I decided that I want to make a major cross country ride the summer after next, I can see no other motorcycle to take than my faithful, Honda C70. This thread will document the few modifications and additions that I am making to my C70 in order to make it better suited for a coming long, demanding ride. Basically I am going to do only the upgrades considered a necessity for a bike to survive the route I am planning to travel. I am adding a bash guard for the engine which I am building from scratch because as you would expect, there are no aftermarket shields for Honda Super Cubs and the CT90-110 guard would require significant modification to fit the bike due to the air box and exhaust differences. Even though my C70 averages about 110 mpg, the gas tank only holds a gallon, unacceptable for my coming travels. So, I am going to build an addition to the factory rear rack to mount a pair of Rotopax 1 gallon gas cans, one on each side. To cope with the extra weight, I ordered a set of heavy-duty adjustable rear shocks that are about 3/4" longer than stock. I'll post pictures and updates as work progresses.