Registering out of state 2006 Tiger

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by chorizo, Apr 15, 2013.

  1. chorizo

    chorizo Been here awhile

    Jun 7, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Im working on buying an out of state Tiger 2006 with about 20k miles.
    I the 06 50 state legal? How much hassle will it be to register in CA.
    Oh it has aftermarket TOR exhaust.. Advice needed
  2. itsatdm

    itsatdm Long timer

    Jun 19, 2004
    Nor Ca.
    Won't be any more hassle than any dealing with DMV. I am sure it is a 50 state bike, but even if it was not, it has the required 7,500 miles.

    Find the emission sticker on the bike. Most likely they will want to see it.
  3. scapegoat

    scapegoat Pushin forward back

    Dec 21, 2005
    The Left side
    You will be required to show the DMV agent the Meets CA emissions sticker or 50 state compliant sticker whichever it has. If its been removed all bets are off. I went thru a PITA bringing in a KTM 950 from AZ because I couldent find this sticker even when the KTM manual stated ALL 2005 KTM bikes are 50 state compliant. They will check the Vin#s and look at the engine numbers and frame numbers to verify against the title and to issue a Ca title. Far as the exhaust they never asked, looked, started it or seemed to care about mods.
  4. browneye

    browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

    Dec 17, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    What they said. Just locate your fed emissions sticker ahead of time so you can make it available to the inspector. Some times they are are in odd places, like under the tank or behind a trim piece.

    You'll have to declare a purchase price and pay sales tax here, less what you can show you paid when you bought it.

    It's not difficult transfering a street legal bike, it's trying to plate something that was never legal to plate here in the first place. :evil
  5. C/W

    C/W Adventurer

    Jun 27, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    As mentioned, sticker & frame + engine #s are suppose to match! If you can verify that then you'll be fine. I had ordeal with a bike with <7500 miles, and it was painful...

    TBH, generally better to buy an in state vehicle, they don't even bother to look at it when you transfer the title.