Okay, it's that much more awesome when going through your own personal hell, that you MAKE some time and get away from it all I had been going through a business 'divorce' of sorts and it's been ugly for months.. Now that things have calmed down a bit, I made a run for it Unfortunately, my bike had been partially dis-assembled for a few weeks.. 'Anna' is a DR650 and I had been plagued by wicked leaking issues recently with the infamous base & tension gasket issues and finally decided to do something about it. I've never done any kind of car or motorcycle engine work or nothing I can really brag about. Well, I did fix an electrical issue with my 1999 Suzuki Katana 600 (Amanda) that was pretty impressive But I have a degree in electrical engineering.. So I'm glad it was good for something I could use So for several weeks, I was driving my car which was driving me crazy So when things finally started to calm down, I dedicated a lot more time to fixing the problem. I'm obviously nervous and if it weren't for my buddies at the DR650 Yahoo Group (a special thanks to Charlie ), it' would've been a lot more stressful! The base gasket was a horrible mess and it took probably 2 - 3 hours to clean each joining piece. The tension gasket was an especial mess.. :huh Here are some pictures.. The Head gasket.. Not too bad. The chain-tension gasket.. This was really bad.. And you can see the gasket maker that I applied for a temporary fix.. A picture of the cam. It was suggested that I take a picture of this before I took it apart, but it wasn't necessary due to the notches in the cam. Just make sure you have the valves properly set first. Which I did Again, I wish I had taken more pictures before I did any work.. It was a lot of work.. I was just soo focused on getting the job done But here are the head and base gasket areas. Not bad eh? The piston was UGLY before the work :huh I'm sure 'something' happened cause there was just too much gunk. Again, this took hours to clean up. Though I kinda wish I had gotten a new piston.. I'm fine with it, but it looks like ancient technology.. The ones listed on Procycle.us look really pretty.. Just didn't want to have to use higher octane.. But I replace the rings and clips too. Getting the piston into the cylinder with the new rings was tougher than it looked... But mission accomplished. So after several weeks of driving, I got back on Anna and started doing some riding.. Not one leak anywhere! I'm so pumped! Again, thanks to my DR650 Yahoo group folks for helping.. Though there looked to be some leaking now coming from the clutch cover gasket! :eek1 I wasn't entirely suprised since I left it exposed for several weeks and I'm sure that affected it somehow. Not a major leak, but I wanted to make sure it was perfect. So an order into Procycle again and I get the gasket within a few days. With my confidence in the engine work, I tore into this quite quickly with youthful abandon and got it done in a few hours. Again, I had to clean the clutch cover from the gasket mess But at least I have a method now that makes it a little easier to remove. So after the work, I let it sit for a for a day so I can make sure the loctite cures and is solid. I take her out for a spin once this is done and it looks solid. Now I have to start packing and prepping for the trip Gosh I always have lots to do before a trip.. I gotta fix that... I had tons to do.. But because of that hell I was in for a few months, I had to catch up on a few things.. So I gotta take care of a few things just so I won't feel guilty I was supposed to have left at 8am.. Didn't leave until 11:30am.. Oh well, at least I'm going... I washed and cleaned Anna before getting started.. It's a tradition of mine.. To wash my bike before a trip.. A happy face.. Yes Anna all cleaned up and looking to hit the road.. Man, that bag was heavy :huh I decided to head down Highway 101 since I was leaving so late.. It's still scenic and I figured I'd stop in the Santa Barbara area.. I didn't want to spend 10 hours riding today Largely an uneventful ride.. Weather was in the low 60's most of the time with it reaching probably the low 80's before getting to Goleta where I ended up. I did notice a little oil leak at one of the oil-pipe junctures... And I was suspect to whether I had tightened that bolt enough. So I stopped at a station, tightened it up just a nudge.. A hundred miles later.. SPOTLESS!