Seat Base Repair

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Emmbeedee, Jul 26, 2012.

  1. Emmbeedee

    Emmbeedee Procrastinators

    Mar 19, 2008
    Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
    We modified the original seats we had on our F650 and 800GS to make them a little less painful. I had my seat cover off three times before I was semi-satisfied, and finally went for a Sargent which has been on the bike for the last couple of seasons. I had a local upholsterer do the mods.

    My wife's been using her stock lower seat which we added a bit of foam to, but recently decided to get a Seat Concepts cover and foam to replace the originals.

    I thought I'd just get out my old 800 seat and put the SC cover and foam on that and was surprised to find this:


    The stapling on the seat had practically destroyed the seat base! Not much left to work with here.

    So I took the cover off Stephanie's 650 seat and it was showing some cracks as well. Her cover had only been off the stock seat base once. I decided I could fix it well enough if I had some plastic epoxy or similar so I went looking for a solution.

    I sanded the seat base to take the shine off the areas I wanted to glue, and decided to use a product called "Goop" to lay a bead over the weakened areas, as seen below.

    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    I let this dry overnight and the seat base looked really solid, so I took it to the upholstery guy to staple the new cover on.

    The finished article:



    The guy who stapled the seat cover on was impressed with how well Goop worked on this repair. It took staples well and where I applied the adhesive, it made no difference to the finished appearance of the seat.
  2. ebrabaek

    ebrabaek Long timer

    Jan 12, 2010
    Grand Valley, Colorado
    Well done.......:clap