Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WonTian, May 10, 2013.
Very neat, I have a few things to try this on...
I picked up an impact driver from Harbor Freight for $8. It was definitely required for the removal of those screws.
I got the cover off and cleaned it all up. Here is pic of the damage all cleaned up
I'm going to pick up a new o-ring tomorrow and seal it up with RTV in the pits. If it leaks, then I'm just going to get a new case.
I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow
I did do some research, I admit that it wasn't as in depth as it should have been. I figured it was straight forward enough.
I dont have the money to take my bikes to a proper shop and I love wrenching my bikes. My KLR is pretty farkled/modded out
Clever! Will try that next time I have to deal with something similar. BTW bicycle shops carry better quality pin spinners (and other tools that are handy for mc work)
I understand, not being able to afford shop repairs is what got me started wrenching years ago and I don't mean to come across harshly. But what it will cost you for a new cover is more than it would have cost to have a shop take that cover off. My point is that you went really ham-fisted without researching it first. If you had researched more, you would have seen the recommendations to run the engine and get it hot to loosen the plug, and also would have seen pictures of the plug and know to drill in the middle instead of the edges to protect the threads. Proper tools for the job also make a huge difference, consider them an investment of the money you are saving by doing your own work and you'll have them for the next project. A chisel or punch would have been the right tool, screwdrivers are not designed to be hammered on (although we are all guilty of doing it!).
I started out the same way and was quick to grab a cheater bar or bigger hammer. I've since learned that technique is much more useful than brute force, and patience to figure out a better way is still faster and cheaper than repairing damages because I went straight to destructive mode. The internet is full of forums to tell you how to fix anything, spend a little bit of time there and do a search before you start a project. Your wrenching will be less stressful and much cheaper!
Fire ax might have been neater.
That, or an oxylance.
I completely understand and agree. I really should have researched more. This was a first for me(the destruction), I'm normally pretty careful with my toys. I 'm taking this as a lesson learned the hard way. At least I am still young and always willing to learn from those far more experienced then myself
I think we should open a motorcycle repair shop together
I put a black RTV in the pits and let it set for 30minutes. Then I put a new o-ring on the plug and coated the threads and o-ring in holmar. Also checked the valves since I don't want to have to pull that stuff all out again in a few hundred miles to get then engine to TDC. I'll let you guys know if it leaks when I have the bike all back together. I pulled the carbs for a good clean since I had the gas tank off.
If you need to rotate the engine again for the next valve check, etc. you can remove the spark plug, put it in gear, and turn the back wheel (wheel off the ground)...no need to remove the inspection cover that way
Thanks for the tip! This solved my main concern..
Success! Thank you to all who help!
I'm with you Won! If it can't be fixed with a hammer it will most certainly teach it a lesson! I't's awesome you are working on your own bikes. Congrats on getting the fix under way.
you already bought the Zeta plug, but for everyone else reading this, the Yoshimura brand plug takes a large (14 or 17mm, I forget which) socket wrench rather than a sunk allen key. IMHO a better idea than Zeta or stock.