Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ambraa, Dec 21, 2008.
More Pictures Please.
Great project, looking forward to more results and pics
Good progress this weekend. Got all the sensors mounted on the bike and it all seem to be working Very little space left, but should be enough for the airfilters and fuel lines. Seems like I have to wait another week for the intakes and the oil-temp adapter...too bad since the rest is more or less ready for a test-start.
PICTURES (taken with mobile phone so not the best quality)
mousitsas: The Motty tuner is interesting, nice product. But I think it might be more like a Powercommander, for tuning a bike with stock fuelinjection. I don't think it can control the fuelpump or ignition as the Microsquirt can (correct me if I'm wrong).
Thank you all for the comments and interest in the project. It gives good motivation to get things done
Glad you are making progress with this! I bet the cold winters up North help quite a bit in getting things done.
I'll start looking for a cheap twin inlet Freewind head for my 650 then!
Yes, it's usualy the choice of go skiing or stay home in the workshop Until now there has not been enough snow here in the eastern parts so I've spent a lot more time with the bike than I had planned.
There has been some head-scratching but owerall I'm a bit surprised that the Microsquirt system has been almost plug and play so far. I'm sure that may change when the tuning begins Also the info in the megamanual and the mega/microsquirt forum has been very good and helpful.
Just start looking, I think the Freewind head + injection would be a very cool mod to the 650. Do you know if the valve sizes are different in the Freewind head?
Got the intakes and the oiltemp-adapter last week. After a few "adjustments" everything seems to be ok. I've also pressure tested the fuelsystem and it worked fine without any leaks.
The remaining things to do before trying to start the bike is welding on a fitting for the return fuel hose and going through the settings in Tunerstudio one more time. Should be plenty of time for that next weekend
I forgot the camera so no pictures this time, will add some later.
What AFR are you going to target for your tuning?
I will use the recommended values from the megamanual. Somwhere between 12.5 and 13 for high load and 15.5-16 for cruising. I'm hoping that the vacuum signal would be ok for a alpha-n/MAP blend. I believe that would be easier and quicker to tune with the butt-dyno
You really need to get yourself an Air/fuel meter. When I researched them 2 years ago the Innovate LM1 with the RPM option was by far the best value. If you want I'll buy it from you afterward, wanted to get one for tuning the carb on my Cobra anyway.
I allready got the LC-1 with a gauge to have some control of the AFR while riding. I'm planning to log the data from the microsquirt with a laptop and use the logviewer software to get a base setting.
Got the bike idling yesterday. The fuel-calculators I have used said the R6 injectors could be too small, so I was a bit worried, but it turned out to be the oposite. I had to adjust the req_fuel very low and use alternating squirts to get it started. I don't think this is good, because the valves have separate ports and then one valve won't get any fuel, just air each cycle. But the idle is ok, so I might be wrong. I didn't get much time to play around with the values so there might as well be some settings that are off.
Usually I like the winter and the snow, but now I'm really looking forward to some dry roads so I can start testing
this is extremely interesting project, I am really anxiously waiting for news.
I think DR will be hell of a bike with well setup FI - may be not tha much more power, but much "quiker" reaction and soooo easy to tune
It's utterly brilliant work.
Worthless without pics.
Stick with it kiddo. We'll all buy the kit.
Got most of the cables routed and sorted out the settings for a good idle this weekend. There is a lot of values that effect each other in startup/idle (cranking pulse, after start enrichment, warmup enrichment, VE table, req_fuel) so it took some time to get it right. Now the idle is smooth and stable and the bike fires right away, even in -8C.
I have to touch up the welds on the oiltemp adapter (leaks) and connect an extra hose to the fuelpump reservoir to get rid of the air inside it. Some times the fuel will not enter the reservoir so I'm hoping that a breather hose to the top of the gas tank will solve it.
The rest of the system seems to be working fine....only thing is that the throttlebodies might not work as good as I hoped. The throttle response from idle is really crisp compared to stock but on bigger throttle movement the vacuum slides seem to be moving too slowly. I hope this will be different when driving (load) or else I think the feel will be much like the old carbs (NOT good)....time will tell I guess. Found out the GSXR600 01-03 has a 36mm TB which without the second set of butterflies might be a good plan B later.
Added some PICTURES too this time.
Cool to see that so many still are interested in this project
I'm sorry to disappoint those hoping for a bolt on kit. My bike is quite heavily modified so most of the stuff I've made for it will not fit on a standard DR. But if someone want's to try I'll be happy to help and to share drawings, tuning files, etc.