Texas Moped laws

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by leakypetcock, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. ysr612

    ysr612 Long timer

    Aug 7, 2003
    Beaumont, texas
    ask your provost office they will know. I am pretty sure that you go by your legal residence when you are in the military. If you are not in the military you must get a license within 30days?. However many college students don't.
  2. wickedsprint

    wickedsprint Banned

    Oct 5, 2004
    If texas requires registration then not having a plate from MT won't fly. The military clause only works to keep your home of record plates, me also being in the military could not go to florida and ride my atv on the street just because it is legally titled and tagged in wyoming.
  3. leakypetcock

    leakypetcock Adventurer

    Feb 19, 2005
    South of Canada
    That's been another question of mine, if I had an ATV that was legally licensed in MT could I ride it elsewhere. Isn't that what full faith and credit is all about? If it's legal in one state why can't it be ridden across the border?
  4. lifer

    lifer Been here awhile

    Feb 19, 2007
    As far as insurance goes. My son has had my Honda reflex in san diego with my registration and Wisconsin plates on it for the past year. He has his own isurance policy on it in his name and has had no problem. The insurance co told him that they do not care who owns it as long as the one driving it has the policy and states what county it is kept in. The state can not demand it be licensed there because I own it and I live in wisconsin. I drive it when I go visit him in Cal.
    If I were you I would call my ins co. in Montana and get a liability policy on the moped and then drive it around in Texas like I owned the place. If stoped just show you montana insurance info and say very nicly that Montana does not plate or title mopeds. As lond as you have a montana drivers license you have no problem.
    The worst that will happen is the cop will say you can't do that here and tell you to stop driving it. More than likly he will say have a safe day, make sure you follow Texas moped laws when driving, thank you for your service to the country and enjoy your stay here in Texas.
    Ins. companies are funny though . You might have to get a liability policy from a co. in Texas because you are keeping it there but I would call you co. in Montana first becuse you are in the military it might be different. I carry a scooter with me on my 5th wheel and stay in many states for extended periods of time like 2-3 months at a time and have had no problems with cops in any of the states I have been in. I just have everything legal for where I live in Wisconsin.
  5. Dabears

    Dabears --------------------

    Mar 10, 2007
    It's been 5 years since the question was asked. They probably figured it out by now....:D