The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

  1. EJ_92606

    EJ_92606 Rider

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,779
    Hope so, but looks like the top case mounts directly on the factory rack now with no mounting plate, so I'm guessing the old case may not fit.
  2. Marki_GSA

    Marki_GSA Long timer

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2011
    Oddometer:
    1,128
    Location:
    Scotland
    Yes it's single plug, smaller crank and bearings but probably mostly down to there being less stuff under the valve covers.
  3. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,664
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Will this require draining the coolant? I can't tell from the pics (thanks for those RL! VERY helpful! :thumb ) if the coolant path passes into the valve cover or not.

    [​IMG]

    -SM
  4. yellowbirdrs

    yellowbirdrs Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2009
    Oddometer:
    966
    Location:
    Ags. MX
    look closer where the air inlets are
  5. ragtoplvr

    ragtoplvr Long timer

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2007
    Oddometer:
    7,213
    Location:
    central USA
    No coolant path in the valve covers, so draining will not be requir3ed to check adjust valves.

    Bad thing is when water pump leaks, coolant goes in the oil.

    Notice how one head is driven directly from crankshaft but the other is driven from the balance shaft. Less accurate cam timing on one cylinder than the other.

    Over all, looks very good, but not perfect.

    Rod
  6. RL Lemke

    RL Lemke Long timer

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2001
    Oddometer:
    1,741
    Location:
    Dallas, Texas
    Zoom in on this one. The head gasket retains the coolant. Valve adjustment is separate.

    [​IMG]
  7. GSMarc

    GSMarc Long timer

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2004
    Oddometer:
    1,214
    BMW Motorrad Germany : Ready to ride
    <TABLE class=datasheet border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 sizset="0" sizcache="1070"><TBODY sizset="0" sizcache="1069"><TR jQuery1349289489594="26"><TH>Leergewicht fahrfertig, vollgetankt <SUP>1) </SUP></TH><TD>238 kg</TD></TR><TR jQuery1349289489594="25"><TH></TH><TD></TD></TR><TR jQuery1349289489594="24"><TH></TH><TD></TD></TR><TR jQuery1349289489594="27"><TH></TH><TD></TD></TR><TR jQuery1349289489594="28"><TH></TH><TD></TD></TR><TR jQuery1349289489594="29"><TH></TH><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    • <SUP>1)</SUP> Gemäß Richtlinie 93/93/EWG mit allen Betriebsmitteln, betankt mit mindest. 90% des nutzbaren Tankvolumens
    R1200GS DOHC Ready to ride BMW Belgium

    <TABLE class=datasheet border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 sizset="0" sizcache="695"><TBODY sizset="0" sizcache="694"><TR class=invertColor jQuery1349289966489="79"><TH class=invertColor>Poids à vide en ordre de marche, réservoir plein <SUP>1)</SUP></TH><TD class=invertColor>229 kg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

    So, 9 kg = 19,84 lbs

    I would prefer 9 lbs than 9 kg but.....
  8. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,664
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Ah....OK. It's more obvious in this pic.

    [​IMG]

    There's a piece of plastic behind the radiator that redirects the air to the sides vs. allowing it to come straight back. :clap

    -SM
  9. EJ_92606

    EJ_92606 Rider

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,779
    Per the BMW USA website comparing new GS to previous model (4kg difference = 9 pounds):

    [​IMG]
  10. Emoto

    Emoto Sure, why not?

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    Oddometer:
    20,732
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Look at any shot of the right side of the bike. The starter motor is black and is easily seen just aft and below the rear-most valve cover bolt head.
  11. flyrodder

    flyrodder Donny, please.

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    3,300
    Location:
    Southern Bohemian Alps
    Wow. Dramatically different than I thought it would be.

    Wet clutch in the FRONT of the engine? Gear driven alternator in the rear?
  12. dmac57

    dmac57 Long timer

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2004
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    Western NC
    Sure you do. We ALL do. That's why nobody but JVB bought an ST.

    :lol3
  13. Some Dude

    Some Dude what attitude problem???

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2003
    Oddometer:
    4,770
    Location:
    Woodstock, GA
    Except the title should be "2014 R1200GS ....." :lol3

    2013's are already in production with the 2012 build spec's and it'll be May '13 before these hit the USA shores is my bet, which means 2014 model year designation.
  14. radon222

    radon222 14GSAW

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2003
    Oddometer:
    401
    Location:
    Va Beach, VA

    Awww come on... JVB's ST has a good excuse for its ummm looks... it was totaled when he bought it :rofl
  15. dmac57

    dmac57 Long timer

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2004
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    Western NC
    So, were they all totaled before they were sold?
  16. JimVonBaden

    JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2005
    Oddometer:
    59,899
    Location:
    Alexandria, VA
    :baldy




    :lol3

    Jim :brow
  17. Jedi5150

    Jedi5150 Road Warrior

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2007
    Oddometer:
    636
    Location:
    Central California
    Hmmmm.....
    I'm glad I just bought my 2012 GS. I'm not much of an engine guy, and the stats on the new bike may be great. But aesthetically, I prefer the current GS by a wide margin.
  18. Andrewmc

    Andrewmc Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2010
    Oddometer:
    425
    Location:
    Palmer, AK

    Actually it's looking like these are going to be for sale next year as a 2013. No guarantees, but thats the verdict at the moment.
  19. SkiFly01

    SkiFly01 Govna Racepipe

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2009
    Oddometer:
    592
    Location:
    Gainesville, FL
    cruise control, adjustable windshield while mounted, the iDrive wheel thingy, clutch not in the bowels of the bike, no overheating (hopefully).

    Curious to see what the Adventure model will be.
  20. fixinbones

    fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2005
    Oddometer:
    2,015
    Location:
    New York
    My MS makes my GS feel like a pig!! The only reason to get a GS over a MS is if you do alot of two up long hauls or alot of off road. The MS can do just about everything else much better. And smoking sportbikes is my favorite MS hobby.