The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

  1. Boxer-lust

    Boxer-lust Banned

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2011
    Oddometer:
    528
    Valve adjustment is just as hard or easy as on the 2010-on camheads !
    I also like the clever combined chain/gear driven cams !
    Makes the engine more narrow,easier to pull the heads and less wear on the timing chain adjuster rails because the chain makes a wider radius compared to the camhead...:clap
    No leaks on the cylinder base either since the cylinders are part of the cases !
    I really love the new engine design !!!
    Especially the new position of the clutch and the E-gas;always perfect synchronisation.
    No more splitting the bike...:clap
    Can't wait for the ADV and RS versions of the new boxer !
    All BMW forgot was hydraulic valve adjusters and a true underseat pipe for 2 big sidecases...:lol3
  2. ACD

    ACD old nOOb

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2011
    Oddometer:
    447
    Location:
    Brazil
    This was probably been discussed before, but given the size of this thread I ask you again:

    Why exactly they swapped FD and exhaust positions (other than forcing us to mod previously acquired bags)?
  3. mousitsas

    mousitsas Long timer

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    Athens, Greece
    :lol3

    I am a chain guy as I like simplicity and light weight, even if that is going to cost me more. I also like low unsprung weight as I like drifting on the loose stuff.
    And by the way, I have as many miles under my belt on a GSA as I have on the KTM I replaced it with and so I appreciate both bikes strong points, but I ain't getting any younger!
    Speed is indeed irrelevant, what counts for me is how you get there and this is where the LC8 shines. Anyway, nough said, different strokes for different folks, bla bla bla, I hope we will both be able to ride both these new hoties and discuss what we think.
  4. EJ_92606

    EJ_92606 Rider

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,779
    Ya, I keep hearing this about the MS, but man all the mechanical problems with that bike scare me. The latest being an issue with Ohlins suspension failure that they don't seem to be able to fix and now porous heads?
  5. Beemerlover

    Beemerlover Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2011
    Oddometer:
    334
    No more splitting the bike? Did you notice that the alternator is covered by the tranny case now? Not really sure how great that's gonna work.
  6. eakins

    eakins Butler Maps

    Joined:
    May 29, 2002
    Oddometer:
    20,361
    Location:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    They better have as KTM is bringing it real strong coming in from the other side, more street friendly.
  7. eakins

    eakins Butler Maps

    Joined:
    May 29, 2002
    Oddometer:
    20,361
    Location:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    i believe it's a stronger unit from the K bikes.
    it's BMW of moving forward w/o admitting the old way had issues.
  8. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,664
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I thought I read in one of the gazillion press sheets that by switching sides, they were able to reduce the rotational effects of the crank/drive shaft..... :dunno

    -SM
  9. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,664
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    So when your cylinder/head smacks a rock, now you get to replace the entire engine when the base of the cylinder cracks..... :eek1

    :lobby

    :hide

    -SM
  10. g_e_young

    g_e_young Born to ride

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2002
    Oddometer:
    899
    Location:
    N Calif, USA
    Definitely photoshopped. ;-)
  11. EJ_92606

    EJ_92606 Rider

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,779
    They realized they'd been putting it on backwards all these years, hence the failures :evil
  12. EJ_92606

    EJ_92606 Rider

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,779
    That rider is about 4'10 and the windshield is fully extended....BMW how about making a windshield that really works!
  13. SidewinderX

    SidewinderX Hey, watch this!

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2009
    Oddometer:
    1,314
    Location:
    NW North Carolina

    My MS1200 made me do Very Bad Things..... :eek1:eek1

    I will miss my little Red Italian Mistress. :evil:evil





    My R1200GSA is definitely more docile, but she serves a well defined purpose for me now that the MTS could not.
  14. EJ_92606

    EJ_92606 Rider

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,779
    Argh, US version looks terrible. So the LEDs are not even coming on the euro model? I also hear that the LED day time running light may not meet DOT specs and hence will be unavailable in the US....bahhhh
  15. erkmania

    erkmania Still Adventuring

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2004
    Oddometer:
    1,071
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    Yes. Wet clutch in the front and gear driven by the crank.

    The alternator is directly driven/attached to the crank and the gear you see is also attached to the crank. That gear is for the starter. One of the other phantom views shows the same gear plus the gear reduction group for the starter.
  16. sleepyOwl

    sleepyOwl Long timer

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2012
    Oddometer:
    2,473
    Location:
    United Kingdom of her Majesty's Tax Collectors
    You have obviously skipped all the threads on BMW problems on the internet then? Is everyone assuming that the new GS will have "zero" toothing problems? I dont think so. They have added electronic trickery which has not been tested long term as was the Ducati's on the launch of the MS.

    I have had an MS from 2010 and very happy with it. Similar to the new GS I thought it was ugly when launched but now after a few beers she is looking lovely.

    A fantastic bike that is not in any way up against the GS for sales. Two very different bikes.

    I am however strangely drawn to that BM icon.
  17. MotoADHD

    MotoADHD Adventurer

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2010
    Oddometer:
    44
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    Water cooled BMW boxers = end times. Repent for the Kingdom of Heaven is near!
    The 1st horseman of the apocalypse will be Airheads muttering "You gotta a water leak" & giggling as one when the new GS's roll in to Salem next summer at the BMWMOA.
  18. DrunkWombat

    DrunkWombat GS and Proud

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2005
    Oddometer:
    2,329
    Location:
    Newcastle, NSW STRAYA
    At least they put the sight glass on the same side as the oil filling point. It's one of the few things that annoys me on my cam head
  19. Wdwrkr

    Wdwrkr Long timer

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2011
    Oddometer:
    3,129
    Location:
    Lost at sea
    I gotta stop looking at this thread. In twenty four hours I've gone from "I'm happy with my 08 GSA to that new one looks pretty cool. Thank god the GSA model is not available yet, but I might just have to get on a GSA preorder list

    Pete
  20. bone13

    bone13 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2009
    Oddometer:
    287
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN
    So what are we gonna call this new beast?
    Waterhead? Hydrohead?

    After seeing the some of the tech info I'm really interested to see how the adaptive suspension is gonna work off road!