The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

  1. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,667
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    +100

    -sm
  2. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,667
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I thought the same thing, but look closely at the pics and you'll see plastic ducting that forces the hot air coming through the rads out away from the rider. :thumb

    -SM
  3. Boxer-lust

    Boxer-lust Banned

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2011
    Oddometer:
    528
    After looking at the pictures and let it all sink in I must say I like the looks of the new GS as the new engine is as good of a design for a motorcycle engine as it gets !
    The 2 cylinder boxer was always a perfect motorcycle engine for everything but roadracing purposes with it's balance,low center of gravity,no crankshaft gyro to affect handling in a negative way,ease of maintenance and unique ability to protect bike and rider in case of mishap.
    Now they made the intake runners straighter to get more power and put the clutch where it doesn't cause expensive bills anymore if it needs to be replaced.
    No alternator belt anymore that can break or needs to be replaced.
    As for accessability it sits under a cover that should beeasy to access after the tank is taken off.
    As for the valve adjustment it looks like the cams have to come off because the followers don't slide to the side anymore like in the camheads.But even this should be easy as no timing chain has to come of with the gears driving the cams.
    Should be a great engine powering a 135hp/nm R1200RS in the near future...:D
    My guess is that a water-boxer R1200RT and R1200GS-ADV are next for 2014 out in autumn of 2013...
  4. (none)

    (none) poser

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,652
    Location:
    Middle of nowhere Georgia
    Sure there is. look at the diagram, water flows around the valves


    As mentioned, Honda did this with the VFR, RC51 and superhawk. They had limited success (i've owned 2 VFRs), mainly due to them orienting the radiators sideways and the way the fan pulled air (causing no airflow to the radiator when moving while the fan was on).

    BMW had a similar setup on the K1200RS/GT, although they had 2 small fans (1 on each radiator). I think some of the KTMs run a similar setup to this (2 rads, 1 fan) and some people upgrade to a second fan.
  5. SourKraut

    SourKraut Long timer

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2004
    Oddometer:
    7,473
    Location:
    New England
    I take it back then. I still don't like wethead.
  6. JimVonBaden

    JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2005
    Oddometer:
    60,100
    Location:
    Alexandria, VA
    :dunno

    Of course there is, did you look at the diagrams? The water jacket surrounds the valves. Where do you suppose the valves are?

    Jim :brow

    Edit, posted too soon!
  7. scooteraug02

    scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2003
    Oddometer:
    4,562
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    Sorry if I missed it but is that limited cooling just for extra horsepower and emissions? I know that has been the discussion but that seems to be the minimum.

    BMW site claims 57 mpg for the water cooled GS and 51 for the air cooled GSA.

    Liquid cooled R1200GS
    Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 90 km/h 57 mpg at a constant 56 mph (4.1 l)
    R1200GS Adventure
    Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 120 km/h 51 mpg, at a constant 55 mph

    Wet clutch up front, no alternator belt should be low maintenance. No more splitting it in half to lube the spline.
    Rubber hoses these days on cars do 10 years 100,000+ miles so reliability shouldn't be a problem. Dropping it on the radiator will be as usual.

    More horse same Final Drive (right angle transmission)? Flipping it over must even out the wear.:eek1
  8. JimVonBaden

    JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2005
    Oddometer:
    60,100
    Location:
    Alexandria, VA

    The valve area is the hottest part of the head/motor. The cooling there allows for more advanced timing, better power and mileage while maintaining emmissions.

    As for the FD. It looks similar to the old one, but is designed to handle the heavier K1600 series, and the much higher HP. That, and the use of a single type of FD makes it an obvious choice.

    Jim :brow
  9. scooteraug02

    scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2003
    Oddometer:
    4,562
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    While we are waiting for them to get to the dealerships they should send one over and schedule it to be ridden 24/7 365. They could make it into a big promotional tour and it would cost less than traditional advertising. Plus they could discover any weaknesses early. Someone set it up.
  10. SpEd

    SpEd Purposeless life has its advantages.

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2005
    Oddometer:
    270
    Location:
    Willis, just North of Houston
    Why would they drop the power output for heated gear and such. I hate to question the mother ship but that doesn't seem like a good idea. :eek1
  11. kbasa

    kbasa Roubaix! Super Moderator

    Joined:
    May 28, 2002
    Oddometer:
    71,173
    Location:
    Marin County, California
    I suspect that they've made changes to the bike to reduce its base electrical load. It sounds like they're really leveraging LEDs, which helps. Note that the turn signals, brake and tail and low beam are LEDs, which use far less power than incandescents.
  12. SidewinderX

    SidewinderX Hey, watch this!

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2009
    Oddometer:
    1,322
    Location:
    NW North Carolina

    Im getting 50 out of my 12GSA with 8.8 gallons... I cant imagine 57 Mpg with an 8.8 gallon tank......:eek1
  13. EJ_92606

    EJ_92606 Rider

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,779
    I read somewhere that base price will be at or below current base prices....but there are lots of options, so I'm sure it will add up.
  14. EJ_92606

    EJ_92606 Rider

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,779
    I don't think the turn signals are LED...if you see LED signals in some of the pictures it is because they are accessories. Low Beam LED is optional. High Beam is also LED.
  15. darmahman

    darmahman "Illogically Deluded"

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Oddometer:
    3,196
    Location:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Somewhere in the specs I read something about the canbus system being compartmentalized. That might be a hint as to why they can lower the overall output. Electrical guru's chime in...


  16. Boxer-lust

    Boxer-lust Banned

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2011
    Oddometer:
    528
    Better mpg is definately another byproduct of watercooling.
    While the old air/oiled hex/camheads ran at around 110 hp at their max cooling abilities (even if R1200S/HP-S made 122/133hp) the new watercooled engines will be able to run even leaner (more mpg) while making more power without reliability issues due to better cooling abilities of water compared to oil.
    Looking at the fact that new new boxer-twin is pretty much a 1/3 of a Porsche 911 engine it is safe to assume that future variants will make up to 150hp safely...
    Maybe we will see hydraulic lifters in the future,too.
    The only flaw I see in the design of the new GS that the side mounted pipe still robs valuable space of one saddle bag.
    I don't know if I ever sell my TB-GS-ADV but I definately know that I will get a new water-boxer...:D
    I already love it...:clap
    Yesterday I hated the looks but it did not take long to warm up to it...
    More power,no alternator belt,no expensive clutch/seal issues,what's not to love...I'm such a whore...:lol3
  17. LowOnFuel

    LowOnFuel In the crapper

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    588
    Location:
    Pacific NoWet
    Now it looks like the bike will need to be split in half to replace the alternator instead of the clutch. Am I seeing this right?
  18. Boxer-lust

    Boxer-lust Banned

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2011
    Oddometer:
    528
    I think you see that wrong because there is a cover that should be easy to access/remove after the plastic tank is off...
    Also no alternator belt is definately another big plus !
    Like I said all I can see for improvement to make it a "no maintenance engine" like in the cars of today where you only have to replace fluids,filters,sparkplug sans the belt are hydraulic lifters or direct injection for even better mpg.
    But if you eber tried the new Scion GT-86 or Subaru BRZ and how slow that thing revs even blipping the throttle I don't know if DI is a good idea...
  19. g_e_young

    g_e_young Born to ride

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2002
    Oddometer:
    902
    Location:
    N Calif, USA
    Good points. BMW spent some serious $ engineering this thing. Can't wait to ride it.
    g-
  20. rattis

    rattis Long timer

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2010
    Oddometer:
    1,633
    Location:
    East of the seas of Kattegat
    After reading all the new posts and seeing more pics I want it more badly than yesterday:rofl