The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

  1. Slippy Chips

    Slippy Chips Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2011
    Oddometer:
    113
    Location:
    Hotlanta
    If I couldputthat headlight cluster on my '09 I'd be a happy camper. I likethelooksof the new bike, but I LOVE that headlight!
  2. Marki_GSA

    Marki_GSA Long timer

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2011
    Oddometer:
    1,132
    Location:
    Scotland
    Absolutely but the GSA is a huge seller so maybe it will come quicker? Either way IF they have plans to do a GSA you would think they would design the GS with it in mind so although it might come later there isn't any reason they couldn't be testing parts now.
  3. Sltx1050

    Sltx1050 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2011
    Oddometer:
    59
    Location:
    St louis, MO
    The USA will get cruise, but may not get LED Headlight due to retarded US regulations
  4. little foot

    little foot Scratch and Sniff

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2008
    Oddometer:
    8,322
    Location:
    The Springs, Oklahoma
    I will have LED, criuse and ESA please. Yes I plan to drop it redline and Stop abruptly.
  5. Signal

    Signal Cynical Idealist

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Oddometer:
    8,984
    Location:
    Utah
    Yup-

    Really dislike the funky plastic shapes
  6. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,664
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I don't think it's several lbs just for the preload servo, but certainly the unit adds weight, and by all accounts, maybe it wasn't beefy enough as it was the "fly in the wine" so to speak with the Ohlins electronic suspension. The servo failing to set the preload either cooked the servo or the controller, or both. I don't believe I ever heard/read of a single failure of the damping internals, only the dreaded "DES Preload" error.

    All the electronics is THE reason why, for the first time, I purchased an extended warranty on my Duc. I'm covered for 5 years with a full Ducati factory warranty (which they no longer sell....hmmmm, wonder why.....). I wonder if BMW offers the same (or only 3rd party warranties that can be denied)? Anyone know?

    -SM
  7. Emperor Norton

    Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2010
    Oddometer:
    1,277
    Location:
    North of Alcatraz
    When I bought my F650GS (Oct 2010) the only extended warranty available was through a third party (Western Service IIRC).
  8. radon222

    radon222 14GSAW

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2003
    Oddometer:
    401
    Location:
    Va Beach, VA
    Same for my wife's RT purchased this past May.
  9. SidewinderX

    SidewinderX Hey, watch this!

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2009
    Oddometer:
    1,314
    Location:
    NW North Carolina
    That was the main reason that I did not go back with another MTS. I put 17k on my 2011 in the first 7 months then a car hit me and totalled her. Within the 17k I had a bad radiator and rear wheel bearings which were non servicable and required parts being pulled off new bikes on the showroom floor. I was not willing to wait 45-60 days for new parts and according to our North Carolina Lemon Law, they would have to buy back the bike if not repaired within 30 days. I had heard of electronic gremlins and just lost confidence. That and the maintenance costs were stupid high. Luckily I bought the service plan from the dealer for $1400. I made $$ on it after all was said and done.


    BMW '12 R1200GS A has 13k on her and nothing wrong "yet"....
  10. EJ_92606

    EJ_92606 Rider

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,779
    LED headlight is on the US Motorrad website as an option, so I'm hoping! Cruise is as well.
  11. NoobIAm

    NoobIAm Far, far from the Garden.

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,554
    Location:
    Upstate SC, USA
    When reading through the BMW press release, I noticed that the way they described the LED/HID headlight pairing, made it sound as if the LED is only intended as a daytime running light. It went on to sound as if the HID functioned as the primary source for dark driving. Is there a separate LED option to replace the HID? Or is that not DOT approved yet?
  12. EJ_92606

    EJ_92606 Rider

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,779
    Here is what I read and I don't recall any reference to HID. The first motorcycle in the world with LED main headlight including integrated daytime running light for even greater safety when riding during the day and at night as an ex works option.
    Even in its standard trim the new R 1200 GS has a main headlight with optimised light efficiency. In order to be seen even better during the day, BMW Motorrad also offers a daytime running light as an ex works option. For excellent road illumination and therefore even greater safety both day and night, an LED main headlight with integrated daytime running light is fitted in a motorcycle for the first time ever. It comprises innovative LED technology with a sophisticated cooling and decondensation concept.


    LED headlights have been available on some luxury cars in the US for awhile now, so I don't think it should be a DOT issue, but who knows.
  13. NoobIAm

    NoobIAm Far, far from the Garden.

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,554
    Location:
    Upstate SC, USA
    Hmmm… it appears you are correct… after I went back and read the .pdf again. Those darned '70's :choppa strike again. :lol3
  14. WindSailor

    WindSailor Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    Oddometer:
    780
    Location:
    Somewhere out West
    After reading this thread for awhile now, this too is my only real concern. The move to LED's can be part of the argument, but not all of it. All 'newer' electronic 'in general' equipment draw less amperage than their predecessors - but some things like heated gear pretty much stay constant.

    If I added up all the electrical stuff up for the wife and I when we are two up (in cold weather), using heated gear -top and bottoms-, going to heated seats, gps, extra lights etc. etc. we're close to 40 amps which is 560 watts total. :norton

    Doesn't take an engineer to figure that one out.

    We're both older and like to stay warm, and I sincerely plan to stay the path on that one.

    I thought I read where the new alternator is only rated for 580 watts.:huh

    OUCH !!!!!

    They really missed the boat on this one. But then again sometimes they have a hard time getting out of their own back yard.

    So........ BMW is now telling me that I should leave my wife home from now on....?
    That won't necessarily go over to well...

    This day and age I would expect alternators to be more compact, efficient and more powerful than before. MAYBE they'll come up with an upgrade kit to a higher rated alternator as an alternative.

    Other than that this overall bike upgrade is simply massive.

    I love pretty much all that they have done - they have gone in the right direction on a lot of things.:clap

    BUT

    If I can't have creature comforts when I'm traveling (which safety and comfort are 1 and 2) when it's sometimes cold out - then make no mistake I'll jump the fence and go visit the neighbor and ride his bike. Nufff said.
  15. NoobIAm

    NoobIAm Far, far from the Garden.

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,554
    Location:
    Upstate SC, USA
    I tried to research this question here in the thread, but for some reason the search function doesn't like me.

    Do we know if the tech diagram that shows the liquid cooling routing, does in fact show it in it's entirety? I ask, because it seems rather anemic as shown. I know it's a 35/65 % design (liquid to air cooling), but come on, surely there's more to it than one lap around the base of the cylinder. Or are we maybe seeing the result of an internal turf war amongst BMW engineers? Seems to be a somewhat throttled back approach.
  16. EJ_92606

    EJ_92606 Rider

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,779
    There seems to be some conflicting data on the alternator..620 in some places and 580 on the USA website. My guess is this is big as they can go using an internal design rather than the old automotive alternator and belt used on previous GS models. Has anyone seen a similar integrated motorcycle alternator with more power than 620?
  17. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,664
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Interesting!

    I found I was paying less annually w/ the Duc for routine maintenance than I paid for routine maintenance on my GS, mainly due to the 15k mile valve service on the MTS vs. the 6k service on the GS.

    -SM
  18. Voluhzia

    Voluhzia iExplorer

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2009
    Oddometer:
    1,626
    Location:
    Cary, North Carolina
    Tiger Explorer 950W

    "An alternator that big could be a significant drain on an engine, but Triumph's is an externally excited type that produces only as much power as is required, where most produce full power all the time, most of which is then dumped as waste heat. It even has a freewheeling decoupler so when the engine slows rapidly, the alternator isn't also forced to..."


    Facebook
    Nova Scotia on Explorer
  19. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,664
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    The new "water" cooling (hey, it ain't really water) ADDS to the existing oil cooling, it doesn't REPLACE oil cooling. According to the design docs, they use the water cooling for the hottest parts of the engine due to the more efficient thermal transfer properties of glycol vs. oil.

    -SM
  20. khale

    khale ride dirty

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2009
    Oddometer:
    556
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    Just put a deposit down for the new bike. BMW of Marietta GA said they don't expect to receive them until May/June 2013. Beyond excited. First on the list as well :D:D:D