The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

  1. conrado

    conrado Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2004
    Oddometer:
    269
    Location:
    Berlin (Germany)
    That's the old (air cooled) engine. It's from the Explorer launching event, several years ago.
  2. y2blade

    y2blade Long timer

    Joined:
    May 23, 2005
    Oddometer:
    1,537
    Location:
    UK
    Had a nice morning at North Oxford BMW, staff were well organized and had plenty of time to answer questions and queries :thumb2

    Always a pleasure to deal with.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Great looking bike, BMW have done a super job.
  3. Bazgab

    Bazgab Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2012
    Oddometer:
    214
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    Very nice, man they got a bunch of them!
  4. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,953
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Rider magazine has a nice writeup in their latest edition (April '13....which is always comical given it's just now March......). They said they'll be doing a "full review" shortly. Net-net on the event was the usual gushing over the locale, the bikes, etc. They have to keep the event sponsor happy so they get invited to the next one right? :evil

    -SM
  5. y2blade

    y2blade Long timer

    Joined:
    May 23, 2005
    Oddometer:
    1,537
    Location:
    UK
    One more:
    [​IMG]


    stunning bike in the flesh.
  6. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,953
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Thanks for posting up pics of bikes ready for sale! :clap

    One question. In the pic above, the view straight on of the bike on the left makes it look much wider than I remember my old '07 GS being. Do the new radiators and shrouds really make it that wide, or is it just the angle that the picture was taken? It seems the rad shrouds are nearly as wide as the panniers......

    -SM
  7. Rauven

    Rauven I like the cold...

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2012
    Oddometer:
    202
    Location:
    Tønsberg, Norway
    Got to hug new GS today. Even the color was right. It's AWESOME !

    [​IMG]
  8. JoshBMW

    JoshBMW Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2010
    Oddometer:
    453
    Location:
    Seattle Wa
    It looks wider but feels narow.


    I think the look is more from how narrow the seat area is.


    They are a bit wider right were the goofy radiator plastic is compared to a 2012 GS, but they are not nearly as bulbous as a GSA is in the same place.


    When sitting on them, even for a short legged guy like me, the narrow seat makes the bike feel better when stopped, at a light for example, than the 2012 GS does.


    All that said I don't like the new look at all. But beauty, eye of beholder, or some such.
  9. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,953
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Thanks for that.

    Note that I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Better weather protection is always welcome on those cold wet days. :thumb

    -SM
  10. y2blade

    y2blade Long timer

    Joined:
    May 23, 2005
    Oddometer:
    1,537
    Location:
    UK
    Hmmmmm good question, I don't think it looks overly wide myself.
  11. Bazgab

    Bazgab Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2012
    Oddometer:
    214
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    It might be a little wider but I thought the oil-cooled GS'es seemed a little ponderous when checking them out and when I sat on the WC GS this past weekend it seemed visually and physically smaller although it is about the same size.
  12. IB1

    IB1 Long timer

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2013
    Oddometer:
    1,028
    Location:
    Brussels
    Still 26 here. :rofl
  13. 268

    268 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2013
    Oddometer:
    171
    Location:
    Belgium, de koekestad.
    Damn you snotaap :lol3
    Just turned 45, 3 days ago :1drink
  14. IB1

    IB1 Long timer

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2013
    Oddometer:
    1,028
    Location:
    Brussels
    I often hear (and notice) that most bmw riders are quite a bit older than me... :eek1
  15. IB1

    IB1 Long timer

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2013
    Oddometer:
    1,028
    Location:
    Brussels
    They all seem to have the LED lights. But no wire spokes.

    Hope to see mine soon at the dealership, but I got the impression it will be delayed. :cry
  16. tallguy-09

    tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2009
    Oddometer:
    1,440
    Location:
    Vancouver
    2nd. from the left has wire spokes I think.
  17. Bazgab

    Bazgab Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2012
    Oddometer:
    214
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    One of the white ones has wire spokes as well.
  18. EJ_92606

    EJ_92606 Rider

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,792
    Remember the new panniers are narrower too, at least in non-expanded mode.
  19. Tonopah

    Tonopah Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2009
    Oddometer:
    460
    Location:
    New River, AZ
    On US bikes, what will be the OEM tires?
  20. Bazgab

    Bazgab Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2012
    Oddometer:
    214
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    I am not certain. The bike going around at the Progressive IMS had Michelin Anakee 3's.