There is something intimidating about drum brake system. The little springs, the big springs, tight spaces, and everything in between is horrific if you have never done anything like that. I'm not very "mechanically' inclined, but I can reverse engineer just about anything. (read dissemble). Prior to dis-assembly I took a few pictures, jotted a few notes, and "replicated" the existing setup on the floor below. The disassembly was fairly quick with a big lever, and proper tools. 5 minutes later and I had new shoes, and springs installed. It took me another 10 minutes to reinstall locking springs. At first I tried to fight the new hardware and it was not working correctly. The spring was a few millimeters longer, and the locking nail? was a few mm shorter. Swap it for the old hardware, and install was a breeze. The second drum was even faster, and I didn't even bother taking pictures. The next order of business was to tackle clutch slave and clutch master. I dreaded this moment because clutch slave cylinder was really hard to get to with limited space, but with the right tools it proved to be a breeze. Moving onto the clutch master cylinder, and that was a challenge in itself - not mechanically, but just how awkward it was working sideways. Here is me trying to push clutch rod into clutch master cylinder. The problem was, with the angle at hand, I was trying to push a 4mm rod, through a 1mm hole dust boot. Bring protection, and plenty of lube -- she slid right in (after I bored it a bit). With clutch pedal taken care of, it was onto the most important business -- the brake master cylinder. Another item that I dreaded getting into due to limited space, but it proved to be a breeze.. Stuff sure likes to fall apart with "3000" miles on the clock: ...and the culprit to broken master cylinder... ...lack of maintenance and neglect of brake fluid in addition to brute force, and stomping on the brake to test the L-Jet mixture... That's sludge, and grime -- the same I pulled out of my rear brake cylinders.