Trans-Mass Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Hulked Up, Aug 10, 2008.

  1. p_funk

    p_funk Patfunk

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2011
    Oddometer:
    456
    Location:
    Manchester, CT
    Yeah... Meant to say next weekend
  2. Hulked Up

    Hulked Up Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2006
    Oddometer:
    280
    Location:
    Western Massachusetts
    I am definitely considering this. I think by the time the high temperatures have time to work things should be pretty good next weekend. Not sure of the day right now. Have to check with home.
  3. alcontrast

    alcontrast at least I'm trying

    Joined:
    May 4, 2008
    Oddometer:
    1,629
    Location:
    central CT, USA
    I'm interested in a Sunday ride this weekend or next. I was going to check the forecast before making it official.
  4. Spinalcracker

    Spinalcracker former redriderofma

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,092
    Location:
    Western MA
    For me the Saturday 31 or Sunday April 1 is the best. I'm headed to DC to see the Cherry Blossoms this coming weekend.
  5. Hulked Up

    Hulked Up Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2006
    Oddometer:
    280
    Location:
    Western Massachusetts
    That's too bad Mike. Maybe I'll wait until that weekend then.
  6. p_funk

    p_funk Patfunk

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2011
    Oddometer:
    456
    Location:
    Manchester, CT
    Can't do end of the month. Up for the ride sunday, I'll probably go camp somewhere sat
  7. alcontrast

    alcontrast at least I'm trying

    Joined:
    May 4, 2008
    Oddometer:
    1,629
    Location:
    central CT, USA
    I would like to do it this Sunday but it looks like the 25th is the only day with not so great weather in the next 10 days.... Check it out and let me know what you think. I'll ride in some rain, I just don't enjoy it as much....if its going to be cold and rainy I'd rather wait but if it's just supposed to be some scattered showers im fine with that.
  8. Hulked Up

    Hulked Up Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2006
    Oddometer:
    280
    Location:
    Western Massachusetts
    I rode the sections from Ashfield to Deerfield today and they were all in great shape. 1-2 ruts here and there. No snow to be found and the roads that are normally hammered in the spring were in great shape, even the Class IV roads.

    I'm planning to ride it next weekend, but have to check schedules at home and weather.
  9. Hulked Up

    Hulked Up Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2006
    Oddometer:
    280
    Location:
    Western Massachusetts
    I am up for a ride on the Trans-Mass this weekend. Either Saturday or Sunday. The weather looks good both days.

    Found this video on Youtube of a section washed out from a storm last year:

    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B588CksQyEA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

    No idea where it is or if it's been repaired.
  10. Spinalcracker

    Spinalcracker former redriderofma

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,092
    Location:
    Western MA
    That has bee repaired. I think it is on Curtin Rd.
  11. Hulked Up

    Hulked Up Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2006
    Oddometer:
    280
    Location:
    Western Massachusetts
    Can we meet on Saturday at 9:30 at the Sunoco station there in Winsted, right next to the old Canton Cycles?
  12. Spinalcracker

    Spinalcracker former redriderofma

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,092
    Location:
    Western MA
    Sounds good. I'll be there.

    I haven't ridden that beginning section. I always started in Sandisfield off 57 so this will be good. Weather looks great !!
  13. Earthscape

    Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    Oddometer:
    369
    Location:
    Western Mass
    As is usually the case when you make plans based on the weather, as the day approaches the weather turns to crap.
    :flush
  14. Spinalcracker

    Spinalcracker former redriderofma

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,092
    Location:
    Western MA
    Saturday looks like 40% chance rain and snow. It is still 60% won't rain or snow. Sunday 30% rain or snow.

    Just wait a couple of days it may be sunny and in the 70's.
  15. Earthscape

    Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    Oddometer:
    369
    Location:
    Western Mass
    Yup, it's not called "Adventure Touring" for nothing!
    I think it just seems worse because of the beautiful weather we've had for the past few weeks. It is still March, after all. But wow, how many fantastic weekends did we have in a row there?

    Friday Night:
    Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain in the evening, then overcast with a chance of snow. Low of 30F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of precipitation 40% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.
  16. Spinalcracker

    Spinalcracker former redriderofma

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,092
    Location:
    Western MA
    OK so now it looks partly sunny on Saturday !!! AY CARUMBA
  17. Hulked Up

    Hulked Up Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2006
    Oddometer:
    280
    Location:
    Western Massachusetts
    Maybe we should make a call tomorrow night for when it changes again
  18. Earthscape

    Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    Oddometer:
    369
    Location:
    Western Mass
    When I look at the forecast, I'm looking at towns in the Berkshires. Make sure you're looking at that also, since a lot of the TMT is at higher elevation than the valley. I live at 1300' and the weather here can be very different than down 'in the city'. At least for here, the forecast isn't improving... having said that, my confidence in weather forecasting is slightly less than my confidence in winning tomorrow's lottery.

    Friday Night

    Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain in the evening, then overcast with a chance of snow. Low of 30F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of precipitation 40% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.

    Saturday

    Overcast with a chance of snow and rain showers in the morning, then mostly cloudy with a chance of snow and a chance of rain. High of 43F. Winds from the NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 40% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.
  19. Hulked Up

    Hulked Up Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2006
    Oddometer:
    280
    Location:
    Western Massachusetts
    You're right! Tough decision. Let's make it tomorrow.
  20. Spinalcracker

    Spinalcracker former redriderofma

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,092
    Location:
    Western MA
    not looking good for this weekend.

    I checked Worthington weather since I think that is the highest elevation of the ride and it say up to 3 inches o wintery weather.