XR650R Story of Our Time

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mitchn06, Oct 19, 2012.

  1. mitchn06

    mitchn06 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    May 3, 2012
    Oddometer:
    549
    Location:
    SoDak
    Backstory: Bought the bike back in Jan. 2009 unknown wear/tear/mileage. i first installed a DS kit so i could get it on the road. very light restrictions in SD, but i put everything on anyways, i kept the stator stock until winter of 2010/2011. I did not put a odometer on the bike until probably 4 months after i had it, so still racking up unknown mileage. Took the bike to CO with on my 6 week internship spring of 2009 as my only wheels while i was there except the weekends when my internship buddy and i joined up and rode around, he had his pickup and his klx. I performed all of the normal maintenance stuff to the bike along the way, but somewhere, somehow it ran low on oil and started getting loud in the head.

    Moved to Iowa

    Still had loads of power and ran fine, but it was loud. keep in mind this is now fall of 2009. Winter 2009/2010 pulled the head cover off and found the rockers and cam trashed. upgraded to Hotcams S1 and OEM Honda rockers. put it all back together and it ran like crap. so naturally i thought it was jetting or something intake related. i milked it along for the whole year of 2010.

    2011 comes along and i decide to get a TM40 to cure all my problems. that didn't cure jack. but i got it back to running condition at least and then i moved back to SD in the summer of 2011. still milked it along even more until fall when i put it away for the winter.

    2012 - its go time!! thought enough was enough and i pulled the head cover off again and "would ya look at that?!" cam sprocket had somehow been installed one tooth off!!! ALL THIS TIME!! fixed it and i was off raising hell!! well after riding every day this summer 20 miles round trip 15 of that was 70-80mph interstate. With all of this driving now i noticed that i "consume" large amounts of oil weekly, like probably a quart every week, i have been checking it every several days and adding at least 250ml to keep it at the upper area of the dip stick. not good. I performed a compression test and got results in the 130-140 range which isn't all that bad, but not at its best. i also did a makeshift leak test to where i put the bike at tdc and put the compression test hose on and hooked up the air hose and i had massive amounts of air coming out the exhaust. i peered into the spark hole with a flashlight as i rotated engine and i think I could probably shave with the valves once removed. i continued riding the rest of summer bout a month and a half into fall, and i am now ready to take the saddle off and put her up for the winter as the rebuild is upon me.

    I am hoping that the piston will be fine and that i can just replace it without having to bore, but we shall see. Kibblewhite valves/valve seals are in the books as well as cam chain, possible cam chain sliders, all new head bolts as some of them are streched out, gaskets. etc, etc. I am looking for tips, advice and comments as i continue along the journey, i will try to post as i go as i know it is nice to document everything and for readers like yourselves. That is it for now.

    Garage cleanup will start on Sunday/Monday and teardown will begin after that. I would like to start NOW, but instead i will head to the family farm and blow off some steam on some much tastey SD pheaseants!!

    Rocker pics posting
    #1
  2. crypto666

    crypto666 Long timer

    Joined:
    May 30, 2011
    Oddometer:
    1,481
    Location:
    The best trails in Nevada
    Enjoy the rebuild, its a fun engine to build.
    #2
  3. mitchn06

    mitchn06 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    May 3, 2012
    Oddometer:
    549
    Location:
    SoDak
    project put on hold until i can gather some more cash for parts, boring i know.
    #3