Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

  1. Jäger 1

    Jäger 1 Osons

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2009
    Oddometer:
    819
    Location:
    NW MT/SE BC
    Remote highway or remote dirt?

    Worst highway around 51 mpg; worst remote dirt... about 65 mpg.
  2. greer

    greer Long timer

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
    Oddometer:
    3,992
    Location:
    Glasgow, Kentucky

    See this thread on the Throttle Position Sensor, easy to adjust:

    http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5568-throttle-on-off-at-idle

    Sarah
  3. sTE610vE

    sTE610vE Looking for 7th gear...

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2005
    Oddometer:
    2,656
    Location:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the input, I have a different idea that I think I will build a few of. I might need a few "beta testers" when the time comes. If I think I'm on to something I will come back and find a few riders here to try it out, by that I mean flog it and see the results!:thumb
  4. SR1

    SR1 Back in S. Korea

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2006
    Oddometer:
    4,787
    Location:
    Seoul Survivor
    Anyone have a good way to mount a Rotopax on the left side of the bike?
  5. sTE610vE

    sTE610vE Looking for 7th gear...

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2005
    Oddometer:
    2,656
    Location:
    Kansas
    I know Wolfman makes a mount like that as part of the overall luggage system, is that more than your looking for?
    Would just a mount for a Rotopax only on the left side be more popular than a tail rack mount? It would lower the height on the rear....
  6. HighFive

    HighFive Never Tap-Out

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2006
    Oddometer:
    3,033
    Location:
    Okiehoma
    No comparison at all.....they are in totally different leagues. :deal

    I've ridden both the '03 250F and 450F a lot. That absolutely SUCK as road bikes. They we're never intended for the road. You can do it....sure. But, these motors don't like to run steady speeds, especially above 40 mph. They vibrate like crazy and surge. Wonderful in the dirt, but lousy on the road. If you're just going to cruise around the neighborhood slowly, it'll get by. But forget it going down the highway for any extended period of time.

    In contrast, the WR250R is pure joy on the pavement...streets or highway....at any constant speed you desire. No vibes, no surging, great stability and comfort. And, its ok in the dirt, if you're just playing around and exploring. Its not a woods racer in stock form....not like the "F" models. But, you can ride it all day in the woods without really getting fatigued from the vibes, etc. Whereas, the F-models can wear you out a good bit faster.

    Put your wife on the "F" and send her down the highway a couple hours, if you really want to terminate your (riding) relationship. Send her down the highway on an "R", if you want any chance of her falling in love with dualsporting. That there is the difference between these two models.

    HF :thumbup
  7. HighFive

    HighFive Never Tap-Out

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2006
    Oddometer:
    3,033
    Location:
    Okiehoma
    The Wolfman mount is fantastic, I currently use it on my F800. But it would work exactly the same on a WRR. Those racks are expensive, but can be used for the Dry Duffel Bag system also. So, they are multi-purpose and essentially bomb-proof.

    Here's water on one side and fuel on the other.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I know.....its not a WRR photo, but works the same way. I'm a little familiar with the WRR. I rode one once or twice....does that qualify?

    HF :thumbup
  8. Nice_Rumble

    Nice_Rumble Long timer

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2004
    Oddometer:
    2,352
    Location:
    New London, NH
    emerson.biguns was making these for awhile. B&B Moto then took over and had a production run. These are stand alone side racks. It's a sidesaddle design that gets the weight down low and balanced by the muffler. They came complete with all hardware, easy to install/remove as needed. They sold for $155 for just the carrier bracket kit. These carriers are no longer in production but there must some riders who no longer use them and would be willing to sell.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
  9. GSBS

    GSBS FunHog

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2005
    Oddometer:
    3,986
    Location:
    Blount Springs, AL
    Anybody out there used both on their WR-R???

    I mounted a MT43 rear several weeks ago and really like the tire for the kind of riding I do on the WR-R.

    Right now it's got around 1,500 miles on it (running 12 psi pretty much all the time) and looks to have more than half the tread remaining. I'll likely go back with this or similar trials-type DOT tire next go-round.

    Which brings me to the above question.

    Looking at what's out there I found the IRC TR1 tires as well and noticed they are a good bit less expensive than the MT43s, but I haven't heard or read any reports on how they compare to the Pirellis. I'd be very interested to hear how they compare in handling on-road and off-road as well as how well they last.

    At the moment I'm still running a D606 front (90/90-21) with the 4.00-18 Pirelli rear, but think I want to try the trials tires for both ends of the bike. I also noticed that the Pirelli front is 2.75" width vs. the IRC at 3.00" width and would be curious to hear opinions on this difference from anyone's who's used both.

    The Pirellis are about $70 (2.75-21) front and $75 (4.00-18) rear while the IRC offerings are $50 (3.00-21) front and $70 (4.00-18) rear. That's around $25 less for a set - $145 vs. $120 shipped. Price won't be the sole determining factor, but if they are comparable in other respects, why pay the 17% premium for brand name?

    Thanks!
    David
  10. ArmyJoe

    ArmyJoe Long timer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2011
    Oddometer:
    1,247
    Location:
    Kuwait
    A few days ago, I took my WR250R out for my first adventure trip. I was with a few big bikes and they were impressed with my ability to keep up on the highway (75 MPH according to them). At high speeds, I have an occasional slight wobble, but I'm not sure if that's really the bike itself or a by-product of riding without a windshield. On gravel, I found the bike very manageable, almost like a large mountain bike. I almost dropped it once because it's too high, but it's light weight enabled me to hold it off the ground while I recovered my footing.

    Pictures here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17037309&postcount=40590
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17038964&postcount=40612

    I wear jeans with a 30-inch inseam and at the factory height, I'm on tip-toes wearing heavy combat boots. I bought a lowering link and plan to install that and do the factory lowering option this weekend. The combination of the two mods should net me about 2 inches. If you want, I can post pics of the before and after foot placement.
  11. SR1

    SR1 Back in S. Korea

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2006
    Oddometer:
    4,787
    Location:
    Seoul Survivor
    Yeah, I know about that mount. I even spoke to emerson.biguns a few weeks ago.

    I guess I shoulda said "anyone know of a presently available left side Rotopax mount?"

    BTW, I plan to use a Coyote bag, so the Wolfman racks won't work for me.

    Thanks,
    Steve

  12. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,949
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Depending on your weight and the weight of the gear you had loaded on the bike, unless you cranked up your preload in the rear, this can happen. When properly set up to handle ALL the weight out back (you, saddle bags, etc), the bike is rock solid at any speed. :thumb

    -SM
  13. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,949
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Why not? The two aren't mutually exclusive. Couldn't you get the Rotopax adapter for the Wolfman rack and just strap the Coyote over it? I have the Wolfman racks and use an old Wolfman Alpha, which is sorta like a Coyote (just not as much hanging below the seat) and it would work fine w/ a Rotopax (it works with my el cheapo version of a Rotopax, which is a bladder-type). :dunno

    -SM
  14. ArmyJoe

    ArmyJoe Long timer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2011
    Oddometer:
    1,247
    Location:
    Kuwait
    Thanks for the info. I'm a total noob and haven't dialed it in for my weight and riding conditions.
  15. jgino157

    jgino157 Yer' mom!!!

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Oddometer:
    458
    Location:
    South Lyon, MI
  16. GotMojo?

    GotMojo? Long timer

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2004
    Oddometer:
    4,158
    Location:
    Ohio
    I have the same inseam (5'9" tall) and just installed the Yamalink lowering link, and did the factory lowering option. Also lowered the forks about 5/8". It made a huge difference and I'm a lot more comfortable when I come to a stop. So far only street riding, but coming to a stop sign is much better now and I can only imagine how much more confidence-inspiring it will be off-road, especially when the bike is loaded up with luggage.
  17. greer

    greer Long timer

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
    Oddometer:
    3,992
    Location:
    Glasgow, Kentucky
    Just to clarify, the TPS adjustment does not require a jumper wire.

    Sarah
  18. jgino157

    jgino157 Yer' mom!!!

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Oddometer:
    458
    Location:
    South Lyon, MI
    I thought the Diagnostic mode required the jumper wire, or is that just the CO modification???
  19. greer

    greer Long timer

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
    Oddometer:
    3,992
    Location:
    Glasgow, Kentucky
    That's for the CO adjustment.

    Sarah

  20. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,949
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    If you are over 160lb and/or had any luggage on your bike, you needed to increase preload, otherwise the front end will be too light and you will get the wandering/wobbling that you describe.

    FYI improperly setting up the suspension on ANY bike will cause this type of behavior, so this isn't specific to the WRR.

    -SM