Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

  1. montesa_vr

    montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    Oddometer:
    1,921
    Look on the bright side. You'll be letting other people serve as guinea pigs in case there are any bugs to correct the first year.
    #41
  2. levity

    levity nano-Adventurer

    Joined:
    May 19, 2004
    Oddometer:
    1,088
    Location:
    Irvine, Calif.
    This guinea pig was grinnin' today ... only bugs so far are on the visor :D

    (Thanks for the tips, NoVector! :thumb)

    [​IMG]
    #42
  3. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Way to go man! :thumb I see you took her out into her natural environment. :clap

    -NoVector
    #43
  4. montesa_vr

    montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    Oddometer:
    1,921
    That bike doesn't look so tall with you on it. How tall are you?
    #44
  5. levity

    levity nano-Adventurer

    Joined:
    May 19, 2004
    Oddometer:
    1,088
    Location:
    Irvine, Calif.
    6', 170#. I lowered the height-adjustable shock ~1 cm, raised the forks ~ 1cm, and set the rear RACE sag at 3.5" (~33%).
    This just allows me to flat foot it, but I usually only put one foot down as shown in the photo.
    #45
  6. Gargoyle

    Gargoyle Trail Jester

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2008
    Oddometer:
    1,189
    Location:
    upstate NY, USA
    I put 115 miles on this weekend. Break in miles on country roads. Lot's of hills and twisty turns.

    This baby pulls great and it definitely feels lighter than my DR350. Can't wait to hit some trails next weekend.

    [​IMG]
    #46
  7. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Here's quick update for folks that might want a bit more riding impression. I went for a quick 50 mile spin around the area, terrorizing a bunch of bicyclists on some sort of outing on "my" road (back road, through the hills, nice and twisty...how dare they! :oscar ), and just lookin' around. Here are a few thoughts from the ride:

    - The bike does 65 easy in 4th, without stressing the motor.
    - Once in 5th, it starts feeling like an "overdrive" gear. Roll-on is pretty slow, and it's glacially slow in 6th. Given that, I'll likely throw 1-2 teeth more on the rear end in the near future. I don't need a 95mph+ top speed, and would like more snap in 5th and 6th.
    - I'm amazed how smooth this motor is at freeway speeds. It's really hard to believe there's only 250cc under your butt. At 65mph, you can pick 4th, 5th, or even 6th if you want max fuel economy.
    - I'm equally impressed with the bike's stability at speed. Typical Yamaha: well planted.
    - Speaking of planted, this thing will carve some pretty tight lines in the twisties, even with the knobbies on it. I think I'm gonna have to get me a set of 17" SuMo wheels just for pure backroad shennanigans...:evil
    - It's quiet! If you want to go lookin' around in "stealth mode", just keep the revs down and nobody will even know you're there :thumb (unless you're a doofus like me and keep hitting the horn button to cancel the turn signals.....:shog ).

    So far, this bike seems to be exactly what I was looking for. A true 50/50 "play bike" that has a linear, smooth power delivery for "everyday" riding, and some darn good suspension right out of the crate. I don't have any desire to run out and "fix" anything at this point, because I can't find much that I want or need to change.

    With luck I'll get some more serious off-road time next weekend (just hit dirt roads today) and be able to compare it to my KTM in the suspension/handling department (obviously power isn't even close, but then I got this bike for having fun, not to go racing....:D ).

    Oh, and speaking of being a doofus, I bolted out of the house this morning and in my haste forgot to take my camera, so when I came up on the biggest damned bobcat I've ever seen (about the size of my dog, who is 80lbs :eek1 ) crossing the road with a ground sqirrel in it's mouth, I was only able to dig my crappy camera phone out of my pocket and snap a pretty lame pic, but I attached it anyway (the fuzzy thing in the center of the pic walking away from me along the vineyard is the cat, in case you can't tell.....). :baldy Note to self: always bring a camera!!

    [​IMG]

    And here's one by the RR tracks where I took a quick break.

    [​IMG]

    -NoVector
    #47
  8. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    For what it's worth, "rule of thumb" for setting sag is about 10%. Any more than that, and your handling can suffer (not enough weight on the front wheel). You may want to drop the shock the full 1" and set your sag back up around 1.2 - 1.3", especially if you notice any stability issues.

    -NoVector
    #48
  9. levity

    levity nano-Adventurer

    Joined:
    May 19, 2004
    Oddometer:
    1,088
    Location:
    Irvine, Calif.
    By sag I meant "Race Sag", i.e., with rider on board (corrected in original post). Should be ~1/3 total travel for off-road use.

    Re adjustable shock: the jam nut adjuster was just a little over a cm below the rebound adjuster on my bike as delivered. I moved it up to within a thread or two of the rebound adjuster - hence the 1 cm lower value. Does the linkage multiply this?

    BTW, the suspension was about as good as I've experienced for out-of-the-box. Compares favorably with the WP suspension I've had on KTM RFS EXC bikes. I did soften the compression damping one click front and rear.

    Does anyone know the rate for the fork springs? I only measured ~2" race sag in the front, a bit less than I think it should be. Not sure whether this this is due to too a bit stiff a spring for my weight (~170#) or a little too much preload. May be set up for a slightly heavier rider (~190#). In any case they performed pretty well both on and off-road.

    -Larry :ricky


    'nuther pic - illustrates an advantage of a smallish bike

    [​IMG]
    #49
  10. Rusty Rocket

    Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2005
    Oddometer:
    11,665
    Location:
    Trying to leave CT
    NoVector: For reference, what do you weigh?
    #50
  11. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I'm 6', 190lb, a wee over 200lb w/ full offroad gear, and approx. 210lb when you add all the tools and crap in my Camelback. :D

    -NoVector
    #51
  12. Rusty Rocket

    Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2005
    Oddometer:
    11,665
    Location:
    Trying to leave CT
    I didn't ask you what size I am.:D This is great cuz that's exactly where I am in the size dept. Now I have a bonafide guinea pig. I will hang on your every word.
    #52
  13. vospertw

    vospertw Adventures on the Cheap

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2004
    Oddometer:
    767
    Location:
    San Diego
    Maybe you guys mentioned this already and I missed it. What are you getting mpg? How's the seat? Could you put a couple hundred miles on it?
    #53
  14. Gargoyle

    Gargoyle Trail Jester

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2008
    Oddometer:
    1,189
    Location:
    upstate NY, USA
    I have 125 "country road" break in miles on so for. I haven't calculated my mileage yet, but I am guessing around 60 mpg so far.

    The seat feels a bit hard to me. Most I went without a stop was 50 miles. I seem to notice it more in the first 5 miles and less as the ride goes on. I am hoping the seat will soften up a bit after some hard riding in the trails.
    #54
  15. klondike300

    klondike300 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2007
    Oddometer:
    107
    You guys are killing me. I was all set on a DR400S and now you have me thinking. My current DR200 just doesn't cut it on the road. The wifes XT 225 has a way better motor and trans but need a better road worthyness. Now I'm thinking I may get one of these rather than deal with a 400 in the dirt. The road reports are what are swaying me.
    The big question is, what did you pay OTD? Looking at going through otdmotorsports.com for my purchase.
    #55
  16. montesa_vr

    montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    Oddometer:
    1,921
    The DRZ would be cheaper. My local dealer had some leftover 2007 DRZ400S models that he sold for $4,699 (+tax and license.) The
    2008 Yamaha WR250R he has on the floor is priced at $5,499, same as a new Honda XR650L.

    Of the three, I would buy the Yamaha. From the reports I've seen so far, it appears the little 250 might be at least the equal of the other two for highway comfort, and it will also be lighter and better suspended off road.
    #56
  17. levity

    levity nano-Adventurer

    Joined:
    May 19, 2004
    Oddometer:
    1,088
    Location:
    Irvine, Calif.
    After ~100 mile break-in on the street I filled the tank and went for a dual-sport ride.
    This was ~70 miles dirt (w/ ~8,000' elevation change in 1st-3rd gear) plus 34 miles streets/highway (w/ ~2000 ' elevation change).
    Fill up took 1.65 gal for an avg ~63 mpg. Not bad for a new bike.

    Expect to average 55-60 mpg in the dirt as I ride it harder and maybe 65 mpg on tarmac.
    Should be able to eek out about 110-120 miles with the stock tank (1.9 gal).
    #57
  18. BUSdriver

    BUSdriver Pop Copy Manager

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    Oddometer:
    79
    Location:
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Just stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd add a few photos & such.

    [​IMG]

    I got mine in mid March and wasn't really instructed about a break-in period. I figured that I'm pretty easy going when I ride that I'd just ride it normally. Problem is I found myself having so much fun that I kinda forgot about the break-in. My concern is that by riding it harder than I probably should've that maybe I caused harm to the engine? Thoughts?

    I have basically been riding it off-road and since I'm 40 and haven't ridden in 15+ years I'm trying to take 'er easy for the most part. It's been an absolute blast to ride this bike. As many of you have already said, it does exactly what it was designed to do. It's comfortable on the road and very capable off.

    I have determined one thing that I MUST do to make this even more fun. I have to lower this thing some! Right now the suspension is set as it was from the dealer. I am only 5'8" with a 30" inseam. Needless to say it's a bit tall for me. I've found that when I'm riding the trails or whatever, it's fine the way it is. It's when I am stopping on a slope or needing to put one foot down to prevent going down that sometimes it's just impossible to do. I've probably had 5 "crashes" due to the height of the bike. I've yet to have any major crashes but I've got quite a few "tip overs" after I stop. I'm not too concerned about it being a little tall as I've been riding it like it is for a bit now and enjoying it, I think just a little lower would be much better!

    I did decide however that the taillight unit under the fender had to go. It's not a weight issue really, it's just butt ugly in my opinion. I replaced it with a customized setup and if you want to read how I did it just go HERE.

    Here's a picture of the finished project.
    [​IMG]

    I've ordered the Zeta handguards with the flashers integrated in them and I've been waiting 2+ weeks to get them shipped to me? I guess Langston racing wasn't the place to order from. I ordered the blue ones but after seeing the photos above of the WRR with the white ones, I should've ordered the white ones. :hair

    I'm sure there are more things I'll be tinkering with this spring/summer and I'll be sure to keep a photo record of it.

    Here are a few more pictures:[​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #58
  19. nachtflug

    nachtflug infidel

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2002
    Oddometer:
    49,039
    Location:
    Harrys place

    sweet!
    #59
  20. Gargoyle

    Gargoyle Trail Jester

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2008
    Oddometer:
    1,189
    Location:
    upstate NY, USA
    Very nice setup!!! I like it a lot.

    I too ordered the Zeta handguards, with flashers, in white. Should be here this week.

    And I am waiting on a DRC Edge taillight kit because the black thing hanging off the back has to go!
    #60