Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Scootern29, Mar 18, 2013.
More pictures!!! Less Drinking....
Uhhhh Sorry Sir, right away Sir.
I received my new billet gas cap this week. This thing is sharp looking and works great............on my MX125C. For some reason it won't fit all the way into my alloy tank but will fit my steel tanks. I contacted the maker and he is going to check his machining. It may just be my tank but who knows. They are supposed to all be the same. He is going to send me another one. When I get my new one I will let you know the sellers business. Really a nice guy.
Left to right, the new billet, stock MX, and the original YZ one that came on the bike that shrunk. It was common on the caps.
Did a little polishing of the canisters. I gotta find stickers for them or make something up.
Now it's time for the pause that refreshes. A cold frosty one.
stickers? what kind of stickers? "tach" and :speedo", I'm guessing.
And a well deserved frosty one!! It looks way to good to get dirty...
Regarding shrinking caps... The one on my TY was off the bike or awhile when I first got it and the damn thing ended up being like a 3/4 size cap. It wasthe weirdest thing I have ever seen. I don't know why it did it. I thought maybe from some cleaner we tried in the tank.
Nice work, Scott. Can I be in your club?
You probably could join our club. We are a drinking club with a racing problem.
So continuing on with stuff, I found stuff some stuff I needed in the next town from me. They actually had what I was looking for.
A kill switch, plastic tubing for the carb, and some rubber automotive grommets for the number plate fasteners. The old ones are messed up and brittle. The automotive ones are thinner but work ton's better.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
To work on the things I bought I had to dis-assemble some of the bike. Well the whole top of the bike. Tank, seat and sidepanels. I am this far into it time to clean up and fasten some of the wiring. A little zip ty action going on
The new grommets in place. These thing work so much better than stock IMO.
Mounted the kill switch. This bike is a one lead switch so I am converting it to a two wire.
The kill switch I bought had different connectors than the stock Yamaha ones on the bike. No problem as I had some cool plug ins that will work. Don't mind the crappy picture.
While I was doing these things, I took a break............had a frosty one and pulled this out of the parts box. It is beat up pretty good. Time for pounding out dents and thins.
Safety tip of the day. If you cut off the zip ty's like we all do........I like to take a soldering iron to the cut off area and melt them smooth. These things are sharp as a razor and can cut you real bad. I learned this trick from my race car day's.
Nice tip, but use black zip ties! I hate the natural ones.
Hey D.T., I don't really care for the natural ones either. I ran out of black. When I am done they will be black. I actually have the real clear Yamaha serated straps they used on these years but............I'm keeping those for something. What that is I don't know yet.
This week I didn't get a whole lot done. I had a bad cold and was home a couple of days. Kicked my butt.
The skid plate painted.
Installed the clear vent lines.
Got the skid plate mounted up. The bike is starting to wind down.
I received my seat stencil and found some vinyl dye. It worked out OK. I will have to touch up a couple places I am not happy with. Won't be a big deal though. A Q-tip works wonders. The bike is ready to fire and then have a good washing and wipe down. It is really dirty with dust on the motor and everywhere else.
More to come soon.
Lookin Good!! Now have a frosty cold one... stand back and admire your excellent work.
I did thank you...........then I started thinking. Why think when you can drink.
Yesterday I got home and did my chores around the house and figured I would do some more touch up stuff. The cylinder isolation rubber was my next project. Of course there were a few missing. This is what I had. About 10 short.
I had thought about this a couple of weeks ago and I was only imagining these are ubontainable and if you could find them they would be $5 a piece. Off to my bone yard. I had some on an old Kawi motor. They are the same size. I am stoked.
Cleaning them up was a little bit of a chore. They had a lot of mud and debris on them. I used my little fine bench grinder on them and they would catch and shoot around the garage. Kinda fun actually. I scoured the interweb and found pictures of the pattern they were installed in. I will adjust the rubbers to get them straight later. They are close. Just a little bit of tweaking and they will be correct.
I will have more to come. This is the slow part. Detailing with minor stuff.
You're right!! "IF" they were available, they'd be at least $5. each...
I've thrown so many of those away, I wish I had a nickel for each one.
I'd be a rich man....
Stand back and admire, but please don't ride it - way to purdy - do not git it dirty.
Agreed and Seconded....