The American Flat Track (AFT) Series is announcing the relaunch of its 2020 race schedule. The new schedule now features doubleheader race weekends that kick off July 17th and 18th on the Volusia Half-Mile in Barberville, FL. Although AFT has committed to 9 doubleheader events, not all of the venues have been finalized. The season will be capped off by a two-day finale during Daytona’s Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach, FL.
The events will be covered by NBC Sports with coverage on NBCSN and be live-streamed using TrackPass on NBCSports Gold.
The rescheduled events will allow fans to attend the events. However, there will be a new implementation of health and safety protocols that AFT hopes will help provide a safe environment for fans, competitors, and staff. The new safety protocols include reduced attendance capacity, staggered seating, mobile ticketing, cashless transactions, and enhanced sanitation procedures.
In particular, the following protocols will be in effect:
- Reduction in ticket availability to conform with state and local guidelines for sporting events.
- Reserved seating areas to include buffer zones to provide ample space between fans.
- Fans entering the venue will be provided with complimentary facial coverings.
- Enhanced sanitation and disinfection protocols with frequent cleaning throughout the facility.
- Enhancements to mobile ticketing and elimination of printed tickets.
- Cashless, contactless transactions for concessions and merchandise.
- Regular medical screening of staff and competitors.
Additional precautions include:
- No public access to the paddock areas
- The suspension of Fan Walk, rider autograph sessions, and paddock upgrades for the remainder of the season.
A Changing environment
AFT says that they are continuing to collaborate with public health experts to develop its comprehensive plan in accordance with federal, state, and local requirements. The race-day procedures will continue to be examined and updated to follow specific guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local authorities.
As a result of a review of state guidelines and consultation with local officials by AFT’s promoter partners, certain events that were originally scheduled for 2020 have been canceled. All ticketholders for canceled events are eligible to receive a full refund or a credit for use at future events.
The revised American Flat Track Series race schedule is as follows:
- July 17 (Fri): Volusia Half-Mile I – Volusia Speedway Park, Barberville, FL
- July 18 (Sat): Volusia Half-Mile II – Volusia Speedway Park, Barberville, FL
- July 31 (Fri): Lima Half-Mile I – Allen County Fairgrounds, Lima, OH
- August 1 (Sat): Lima Half-Mile II – Allen County Fairgrounds, Lima, OH
- August 28 (Fri): TBA, Northeast U.S.
- August 29 (Sat): TBA, Northeast U.S.
- September 5 (Sat): Springfield Mile I** – Illinois State Fairgrounds – Springfield, IL
- September 6 (Sun): Springfield Mile II – Illinois State Fairgrounds – Springfield, IL
- September 11 (Fri): Williams Grove Half-Mile I – Williams Grove Speedway – Mechanicsburg, PA
- September 12 (Sat): Williams Grove Half-Mile II – Williams Grove Speedway – Mechanicsburg, PA
- September 25 (Fri): TBA, TX
- September 26 (Sat): TBA, TX
- October 2 (Fri): Atlanta Short Track I – Dixie Speedway – Woodstock, GA
- October 3 (Sat): Atlanta Short Track II – Dixie Speedway – Woodstock, GA
- October 9 (Fri): TBA, NC
- October 10 (Sat): TBA, NC
- October 15 (Thu): AFT Season Finale I – Daytona Beach, FL
- October 16 (Fri): AFT Season Finale II – Daytona Beach, FL
AFT will update its “TBA” events on its website and its social media pages.