I’ll admit my guilty pleasure of eating box pasta, it is one of the best dinners when travelling alone as I can eat it judgement free!
Adding a couple of simple ingredients to a dried pasta and sauce combo makes for an easy and filling meal. When used as a base, they are a great way to get loads of flavour in a light weight ready to cook portion.
I do tend to steer away from boxed mac n cheese however as I find them to be really overpowering however, grab your favourite and get creative.
1 large packet of pasta and cheese sauce (any brand)
100g pancetta or smoked bacon
4 mushrooms, quartered
1 bunch of baby broccoli
Cherry tomatoes to serve
- Heat a large fry pan over medium high heat, add bacon and mushrooms, and for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat.
- In a large pot, add pasta packet contents, along with required water or milk and bring to the boil whilst stirring. Turn heat down to a simmer and stir occasionally. Add more water if too thick and pasta has not cooked through.
- Add broccoli to the pot for the final 5 minutes to cook through. Season with black pepper.
- Divide between serving plates topped with halved cherry tomatoes if using.
- Ensure pasta is covered in sauce so it cooks evenly, cover with a lid to prevent the liquid from evaporating and not cooking the pasta and broccoli
- A squeeze of fresh lemon when serving will liven the dish and cut through the heavy sauce
- Any green vegetables can be used eg; peas, beans, spinach
- Bacon can be omitted for a vegetarian alternative
- Sun-dried tomatoes can also be used as a garnish