This must be on the list of most people’s ultimate comfort foods. The humble sausage has come a long way in recent days. With so many different flavors to choose from, it keeps things interesting. Filling, full of flavor and less than 20 minutes cooking time, make this dish even more appealing to put on the rotation. Any sausage you like or can find, is perfect for this dish. You can make it as basic or fancy as you please with your choice of sausage flavoring.
1 cup of water
Instant mash potato flakes
6 x thick sausages
1 x small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
¼ red cabbage, trimmed, thinly sliced
Red wine vinegar
Mustard to serve, optional
- In a medium pot, bring water to the boil with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a good pinch of salt. When the water has boiled, remove from heat. Slowly pour potato flakes into the water, stirring vigorously with a fork. When the desired thickness has been achieved, set aside. If the potato is too thick, add small amounts of water to loosen.
- Heat a fry pan with a drizzle of oil over medium heat. Cook sausages, turning every 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- To the same pan, add onion, cook for 3 minutes, stirring. Add cabbage, season with salt and pepper and cook until cabbage is just starting to wilt. Add a splash of red wine vinegar to the pan and allow to evaporate whilst stirring.
- Reheat mash over low heat if required, divide between plates. Top with cabbage and sausages. Crack over pepper and serve with mustard.
- Making the mash first allows it to fully hydrate. Use a fork with a brisk stirring action when adding the flakes to ensure it is smooth and lump free.
- Mash can be made with the addition of a tablespoon of milk powder if you have it in your kit.
- Any sausages can be used. If sausages aren’t available, meatballs will also work.
- Green cabbage can be used if purple is not available