The cooler months provide some great opportunities to ride and camp with less people wanting to venture out as the mercury drops. It also lends itself to some hearty soups which are quick and filling meals that can be adapted to suit almost any ingredients you want to pack or can find along the way before setting up camp.
½ cup rice
300g chicken thigh, cut into 1cm dice
1 packet of dried butter chicken spice mix
1 onion, peeled, finely chopped
1 large carrot, cut into small dice
¼ head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
200ml long life cream
1-2 cups water
1 large zucchini, cut into small dice
- Cook rice, keep covered and set aside.
- Heat a large pan or pot with a small amount of oil over medium heat. Add chicken, onion and carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes or until starting to soften. Add spice mix and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower, cream and 1 cup of water to the pot and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add zucchini to the soup, cook for a further 5 minutes before adding rice. Adjust the consistency with remaining water if needed. Bring to the boil, remove from heat.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, divide between bowls and serve.
- Butter chicken spice mixes can be found in the seasoning aisle at the supermarket, or at a local Indian/Asian supermarket.
- Rice adds bulk to the soup to make it more filling, it can be left out for a lighter meal.
- Cooked rotisserie chicken can be shredded and added in the final 5 minutes of cooking instead of using raw chicken if preferred.
- Any Indian style curry base will work to create this style of soup
- Chicken can be omitted for a vegetarian meal
- Cream can be substituted with coconut cream or milk
- Include any vegetables you have available; mushrooms, beans, peas, broccoli etc