A vegetarian option that is filling and can be modified to pretty much any vegetables and spices you have available to you. I find the combination of fiery Cajun spice with the silkiness of a runny yolk to be a perfect combination. Experiment with your own variations and keep the vegetable intake up at the same time!
1 packet of microwave brown rice
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
½ red onion, finely diced
1 small zucchini, finely chopped or grated
1 small can of corn, well drained
½ red capsicum, finely diced
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- Place rice into a bowl, use clean hands to separate grains. Add vegetables, 1 egg, flour and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Use a spoon to mix together, lightly crushing some of the rice. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a fry pan over medium heat, place 2 tablespoons of mix into the pan and press down firmly.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown, carefully flip and cook for a further 5 minutes. Continue to cook the remainder of the mix in batches. Divide patties between plates.
- Return pan to heat and fry remaining eggs sunny side up, place on top of veggie cakes and serve with sweet chilli sauce.
- Microwave rice is perfect for this dish as it is already cooked and will not become soggy like freshly boiled or steamed rice
- Besan or chickpea flour makes a great nutty alternative to all purpose flour if available
- Shallots can be used in place of red onion
- Capsicum, carrot, eggplant etc can all be used for the veggie component