Tender chicken and smokey bacon with a touch of chilli. This quick sauce has all the elements to keep the crew happy at camp. It is possible to make this sauce ahead of time, freeze it in bags and use it on the first night at camp over some freshly cooked pasta.
1 small brown onion, peeled, finely diced
1 clove of garlic, finely diced
1-2 small red chillies (or a large pinch of dried flakes)
3 rashers of smokey bacon, roughly diced
400ml of tomato passata or canned diced tomatoes
2 chicken breast thinly sliced
Cooked pasta to serve
100g spinach (optional)
- Cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water according to packet directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large fry pan over medium high heat with a drizzle of oil. Cook onion for 3-4 minutes, until softened but not brown. Add garlic and chilli and cook for a further minute.
- Add bacon to the pan and cook until fragrant but not crisp. Pour in tomato and stir well, add chicken and cover with sauce. Turn heat down to a simmer and cook for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir through spinach to wilt. Add pasta to the pan to reheat and combine with sauce. Divide between plates and serve.
- If you are making ahead and freezing, try to have a smaller more solid block of sauce as opposed to a flat bag which will defrost much more quickly.
- Omit chicken for a spicy bacon sauce
- Mushrooms can be used in place of bacon
- Can be served over mashed potato, couscous or even rice