Make everyone’s favourite side into a main meal by adding some grilled chicken and you have a meal that will feed a crowd in no time on a budget. I use pre-cooked rice packs for this dish as traditional fried rice is made with day old rice that has been left in the fridge to dry out. The microwave rice packs are already quite dry so they do a great job of ensuring your fried rice doesn’t end up a sticky mess.
500g chicken breast, thinly sliced
1 brown onion, peeled, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
2 cups mixed diced vegetables
500g pack microwave rice
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 shallots, finely sliced
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a fry pan over medium-high heat, add chicken and cook, stirring, until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from pan, set aside.
- Return pan to the heat with a drizzle of oil, cook onion, garlic and chilli on medium until soft and fragrant. Add vegetables and cook until tender but still crisp.
- Add a touch more oil to the pan, add rice and increase heat to high. Toss the rice through the vegetables, constantly stirring for 2-3 minutes. Add soy to taste, return chicken to the pan to heat through.
- Divide between plates, scatter with shallots and serve.
- Using pre-cooked rice prevents it from being too wet, this will ensure the rice does not break down whilst cooking which is common if using fresh cooked rice.
- The amount of chilli and soy should be added to personal taste.
- I use frozen mixed veggies to make this a quick, cost effective meal when I am cooking for a group.
- Brown or white medium grain rice can be used
- Pork, beef or fish can be used in place of chicken
- Chicken can be omitted for a vegan/vegetarian option