Flat breads can be used in lots of ways to create cheap, filling and delicious meals on the road. They are great because they are packed easily without worrying about crushing and usually have a much longer shelf-life than regular bread.
1 large red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, deseeded, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
200g cooked chicken, shredded
100g feta cheese
4 large soft pita style bread
Lemon wedges to serve (optional)
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a fry pan over medium high heat. Add onion, peppers and oregano, cook for 5-6 minutes until softened and slightly coloured.
- Add tomatoes and chicken to pan and cook for 3-4 minutes to heat through. Remove mix to a plate and keep warm.
- Add a pita bread to the same pan and cook for 1-2 minutes before turning over. Once turned, add one quarter of the ingredients and crumble over feta. Cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Repeat with remaining pita and ingredients. Serve with a lemon wedge.
- Choose a thicker style flat bread for this recipe
- Naan bread works well if it is available
- Mix up the toppings to whatever you have available
- Sauces and dressings will add another element of flavour with minimal effort eg: BBQ, Hot sauce, mayonnaise
- Pre-cooked pizza bases, fresh not frozen, can be used
- Any ingredients can be used, omit chicken for a vegetarian version
- Dried parmesan can replace fresh cheese