This dish was developed by chance, based on what I had left in my bags and some fresh ingredients I purchased before setting up camp. I wasn’t sure if using coconut cream would work with Italian style noodles, but it does! It gives the pasta a nice creamy finish without being too heavy. Add as many veggies as you like to the recipe, I kept it simple here but as always adjust to whatever you have at hand.
1 large chicken breast, sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Pinch red chilli flakes
100ml coconut cream
100g baby spinach
½ lemon, juiced
- Cook pasta in a pot of boiling water according to packet directions, drain and set aside.
- Heat a large frypan with 1 teaspoon of oil, add chicken and brown on all sides before adding garlic and chilli. Cook for 1 minute before adding coconut cream, bring to the simmer before adding spinach, stir through to wilt.
- Add pasta to the pan with lemon juice, season well with salt and lots of cracked black pepper. Divide between plates and serve.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, not a boil as coconut cream can easily split with high heat.
- Hokkien or rice noodles can be used in place of spaghetti
- Pork or fish can be used in place of chicken
- Fresh chilli, finely chopped can be used in place of dried
- Broccoli, beans or Asian style green veggies can be added
- Lime can be used in place of lemon