When you are down to your last scraps of food on the trail, this makes for a filling meal after a long day’s ride. If I know I am not going to have access to fresh ingredients for a few days I always make a pack of dry or canned meals that I know will still be tasty and include some protein, carbs and veggies to keep me going on the road.
1 pack instant chicken flavoured noodles
1 teaspoon soy sauce (optional)
1 small can creamed corn
2 tablespoons dried green peas
2 small cans chicken breast, drained
2 tablespoons milk powder
- Bring a pot of water to the boil. Add the stock sachet from noodles and soy if using. Add green peas and corn, cook for 2-3 minutes or until peas are bright in colour and softened.
- Add noodles, chicken and milk powder and cook for 2 minutes or until the noodles are cooked through.
- Serve with any garnishes the noodles may have eg; fried onions or garlic (optional).
- I look for instant noodles that include a couple of seasoning or sauces such as soy and chilli to keep my ingredients to a minimum but have options for adding flavour
- Allow peas to soften before adding the noodles to ensure they are not crunchy and the noodles don’t overcook
- You can omit the use of canned chicken for a vegetarian option
- UHT cream can be used in place of milk powder for a richer soup
- Milk powder can be omitted for a lighter soup
- Any dried or canned vegetables can be added to boost fibre