If a recipe has cream and chicken in the name, I find it almost impossible to resist. There is something about the combination of flavours that is always a winner, especially when paired with fluffy rice to soak up the delicious garlicy sauce. Your fellow riders and campsite buddies will be impressed with the restaurant style quality of this recipe.
1 cup long grain rice
300g chicken breast
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
10 cherry tomatoes
½ stock cube
½ cup cream
2 tablespoons parmesan
100g green beans, ends trimmed
100g baby spinach
- Cover rice with water, bring to the boil and cook for 12-15 minutes or until cooked. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. Cook chicken breasts for 2-3 minutes each side, until well browned. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Cook garlic for 1 minute whilst stirring, add tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add stock with ½ cup of water along with cream and bring to a simmer.
- Return chicken to the pan, add beans and cook gently for 5-6 minutes, turning halfway or until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir through parmesan and spinach, allow spinach to wilt. Check sauce for seasoning, adjust if required.
- Divide rice between plates, top with chicken and divide sauce and vegetables over the top.
- UHT cream and dried parmesan can be used for this recipe and are suitable to be carried without refrigeration
- Cooking the chicken gently on a low simmer will ensure it stays tender
- Pork chops or firm white fish can be substituted for chicken breast
- Add mushrooms, asparagus or baby broccoli at step 4 if you want to add more vegetables
- Mashed potatoes can be substituted for rice