If you are like me and have a stash of instant potato flakes in your pack, ready to make a big pot of creamy mash after a long day on the road, you will love this inventive use of a staple ingredient.
Making a coating for the chicken using some of the potato flakes is the best way to get a crisp crust as potato is loaded with starch, perfect for frying. Spice it up or leave it plain, it is up to you.
1 orange, juiced
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon seeded mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
300g instant mash potato
½ teaspoon chipotle powder, or paprika
400g chicken breast fillets
1 large bag coleslaw mix
- Combine all dressing ingredients, season with salt and pepper and whisk well with a fork or shake in a bottle.
- Dress coleslaw, giving it a good mix, allow to sit whilst cooking.
- On a plate, combine remaining potato, chipotle, salt and pepper and stir to mix. Cut chicken lengthways into 2cm thick fingers. Coat chicken in spiced potato mix.
- Heat a large fry pan with 3 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, cook chicken for 4-5 minutes each side or until crisp and cooked through. Repeat with remaining chicken if necessary. Season with salt.
- Reheat mash over low heat, being careful not to let it catch on the bottom.
- Divide mash and chicken between plates, serve with coleslaw on the side.
- For a healthier version of the meal, omit the coating and simply sprinkle the chicken strips with spices and grill in a drizzle of oil
- For a spicier kick, add some red chilli flakes to the coating
- Dressing the coleslaw first allows the cabbage to soften slightly and become nicer to eat whilst you cook the rest of the meal
- Pork steaks can be used in place of chicken
- Any steak, chicken or preferred spice blend can be used